Audio-Technica M50s... I need a question answered.
Oct 2, 2010 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

DarkAura126

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new to the whole 'nice' headphones thing.  My current(and broken) headphones are Skullcandy Hesh.  I know how much that brand is hated on here, and I can see why.  The headband broke on mine within 3 months of having them, and the sound quality was crap(I just had them mostly cause they looked cool.... what a fool I was).  Anyways, I will be ordering The M50s shortly as my opener to good-sounding headphones.  I will also be doing the mod that covers the holes underneath the pads(the one that increases the mids, and mellows out the bass).

My question is.... am I starting out right with these set of cans?  Your answers won't change my decision to get them... I've been researching them for a while.  I just want to know your guys(or girls) opinion on the matter.

I look forward to more discussions in this community.

DarkAura

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 32
I think they're a really awesome way to start out. They sound good unamped, don't have the practicality problems of open headphones, are pretty comfortable, well made, and in all a very good value, especially as a first pair. I actually like the sound of the MS1s more than the M50s, but I would recommend M50s over MS1s to newcomers any day of the week.

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 32
If I amped these cans..... which I don't plan to do for a long while... does it make that much of a difference?  I've read that it doesn't for these headphones, because they don't take much to drive in the first place.

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 32
amping does make a difference for M50, at minimum.

do you or your friend happen to have a home theater receiver? almost all receiver have headphone amp build in, you can try amp your m50 using that and see for youself. as i did on my yamaha receiver, i only noticed improment in bass response.

if there is anything that would make m50 sound great, it would be a DAC. when i switched from computer onboard sound to fiio e7 usb dac/amp, the improvement was noticeblely large.

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 32

Quote:
I think they're a really awesome way to start out. They sound good unamped, don't have the practicality problems of open headphones, are pretty comfortable, well made, and in all a very good value, especially as a first pair. I actually like the sound of the MS1s more than the M50s, but I would recommend M50s over MS1s to newcomers any day of the week.

That's interesting as I have been considering the M50 as my next purchase. I really enjoy my MS-1i and feel they do well with most genres but there have been instances where I've craved a more jaw shattering bass presentation. From all accounts the M50 is great in this regard but would the compromise in mid crunch and clarity in the highs be too much for someone who favors the Grado presentation?

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
amping does make a difference for M50, at minimum.

do you or your friend happen to have a home theater receiver? almost all receiver have headphone amp build in, you can try amp your m50 using that and see for youself. as i did on my yamaha receiver, i only noticed improment in bass response.

if there is anything that would make m50 sound great, it would be a DAC. when i switched from computer onboard sound to fiio e7 usb dac/amp, the improvement was noticeblely large.

I actually have a Yamaha Amp at home for use in a Home theatre system.  I will have to try them out.

BIG QUESTION: What's the difference between the coiled cord and the straight cord?  According to EBay, the difference is worth around $60.....

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 32

Quote:
That's interesting as I have been considering the M50 as my next purchase. I really enjoy my MS-1i and feel they do well with most genres but there have been instances where I've craved a more jaw shattering bass presentation. From all accounts the M50 is great in this regard but would the compromise in mid crunch and clarity in the highs be too much for someone who favors the Grado presentation?

I, personally have never heard any Grado cans.... although I wouldn't mind trying.  I'm not sure if the mod I talked about earlier would help with the 'mid crunch and clarity in the highs'.  From what I understood it brought out the mid-tones more, and made the bass a little more mellow.  If I can find a link to the thread again I will post it for reference.

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 32
Yeah I'm aware of the M50 mod. I think I've read most threads here regarding these cans and it's very difficult not be drawn into the overwhelmingly positive impressions. Although I'm sure the M50 may prove a good alternative to my MS-1i, the comments regarding its deficiencies in the mids and highs and the feeling they don't improve greatly with amplification have me reconsidering a "higher" end option instead.

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 32

Quote:

Well that depends a lot on personal taste. If you have limited experience in different headphones, it really can't hurt. You may think you really like the Grado sound, but maybe if you try something else you may actually end up preferring it. It happens here all the time. A good idea would be to look around for used deals, that way you can buy and sell for roughly the same price and only be out shipping costs.

The M50s are good all around headphones, with a slightly bass heavy presentation. But being bass heavy and having good mids and highs are not mutually exclusive.

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #13 of 32
Going to post my question again.  What is the difference between the coiled cord version and the straight cord version?  According to most EBay sellers it's a $60 difference.  $60 more for the coiled vs the straight.

Oct 3, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 32

Quote:

Well that depends a lot on personal taste. If you have limited experience in different headphones, it really can't hurt. You may think you really like the Grado sound, but maybe if you try something else you may actually end up preferring it. It happens here all the time. A good idea would be to look around for used deals, that way you can buy and sell for roughly the same price and only be out shipping costs.

The M50s are good all around headphones, with a slightly bass heavy presentation. But being bass heavy and having good mids and highs are not mutually exclusive.

Thanks for your input revo. It is exactly for the reasons you've outlined that I'm about to pull the trigger on the M50. My last purchase was an Audio-GD FUN with Earth and Moon modules and with the M50 I think I may end up with a versatile budget setup when complemented with the MS-1i. I'm not after reference level and don't have the resources to go on the unending quest that many head-fiers are on, so the addition of the M50 may round out my setup without great expense.

I'm also interested in the coiled version as the hazardous traps set by the MS-1i cable are a constant struggle to avoid. Is the coiled cable much shorter and will it also be as thick and durable as the MS-1i cable?

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 32

Quote:

MS1is don't have traditional Grado presentation IMO.  I personally think the M50 mids are smoother and more refined than the MS1i.  Its been a bit since I heard the MS1i but I think the M50 has more prominent treble honestly.  Overall, the M50 is more aggressive and the MS1i more neutral from what I recall. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back