Audio-technica m50~
Dec 26, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 41
Have you read this threadL http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-don-t-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here ? Its pretty good there, there are several good options and advices. Oh no! its deja vu! whatever. Btw, I don't think M50 suitable for your genre. The bass is kinda too over powering and the mid bit too thin for rock. Best cans for rock is Grado/Alessandro. For your price-range MS1i it is. But I don't know how Ms1i sounded with jazz. Maybe other can help. Sorry couldn't more helpfull.

Dec 26, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 41
combining rock and jazz pretty much yields ska, and combining post-punk and jazz generally yields you with stuff like skunk. I use my ATH-M50's for this kind of music almost everyday, and I must say that they sound great with this kind of music. Yes, the midrange is slightly recessed, but If you have never had high quality headphones or speakers before, then I highly doubt you will be able to notice that. The bass is deep and fun, perfect for skunk, and the horn sections come in nice and clear. If you listen to bands like catch 22, streetlight manifesto, the flatliners, and dead to me, These headphones would do great by you. I suggest you read my review if these are the kind of bands you listen too, since when I wrote my review I did it in terms of these genres of music.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/386819/audio-technica-ath-m50-review

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 41
Just to clarify: They might not be comfortable for the first few days that you own them. They clamp tight (part of what gives them good isolation), so you may need to put them over a couple books or a pillow to ease it up a bit. I've had mine for a few months now, and I can listen to them for 6hrs with no problem.

Also remember to burn them in before you judge the sound.

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 41
I've had my M50s for quite some time now and they've never really softened. They are comfortable for short listening periods but they are not suitable for long ones. They do clamp down quite a bit. I have a medium sized head and they can get uncomfortable quick.

I mean, I really love the sound but they aren't comfortable cans.

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 41
Never had an issue w/ comfort on mine.  Could go on hours on hours w/o comfort issues.  I never even had to stretch the band.

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 41

Quote:
you have a small head? or big?

Average I guess.  I'm 6' w/ proportional head I'd guess.  When I wear helmets I'm a medium to large depending.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back