Audio Technica M50 vs Sennheiser HD-25
May 24, 2011 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

danimoca

100+ Head-Fier
Which one is best? What are your opinions? 

Thanks in advance

May 25, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
hd25 wins in sq but m50 wins in build quality and cheaper too. HD25 looks cheap :D

The HD-25-II 1 only looks cheap. I am more than confident that the HD25-II 1 has equal to or more durability than the M50.

May 25, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
Which one is best? What are your opinions? 

Thanks in advance

If I had to keep only one of these it would be the HD25 for the following reasons .

The HD25's are lighter and feel less bulky on the head.

You can replace the HD25's parts yourself .

Because the HD25's have a headband that opens up into two it can be fitted far more securely than the M50's .

Though I personally prefer the sound of the HD25's more than the M50's .This is because of personal preference. SQ wise there a close match .

May 25, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
The HD-25-II 1 only looks cheap. I am more than confident that the HD25-II 1 has equal to or more durability than the M50.

HD25 II's are minimalist , designed for practicality of use.  whilst the M50's are larger headphones & heavier .

If you dropped the HD25's and the M50's onto concrete, because the M50's are heavier and have a harder plastic they'd crack well before the HD25's IMO.

I'm not actually going to test this theory out to find out what are the actual physical facts though 
tongue_smile.gif

May 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 21
Thank's for all your opinions :)

jbl722, I actually did made a research on the Ultrasone's, but many people say they are too bright, so I am not so sure now.

I am realy thinking towords the HD25 II's. The only thing that sort off bother's me is the confort. The M50's are "round the ear", but the HD25's are not. 

May 25, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 21
comfort is indeed not fantastic, but acceptable

soudwise, for rock/metal orientated music, there's no better portable in my book, then HD-25, except Edition 8, but those are just too expensive to actually use on the go

May 26, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
Thank's for all your opinions :)

jbl722, I actually did made a research on the Ultrasone's, but many people say they are too bright, so I am not so sure now.

I am realy thinking towords the HD25 II's. The only thing that sort off bother's me is the confort. The M50's are "round the ear", but the HD25's are not. 

The 580's don't sound bright at all.  They are bass-heavy headphones aimed at electronic music.  They are bright at first (when you open the box) but after a couple hundred hours of burn-in you will hear how amazing they are.  Just my opinion.  They are a very good choice can't go wrong with them.

May 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
The 580's don't sound bright at all.  They are bass-heavy headphones aimed at electronic music.  They are bright at first (when you open the box) but after a couple hundred hours of burn-in you will hear how amazing they are.  Just my opinion.  They are a very good choice can't go wrong with them.

I listen mainly to Jazz and Acoustic music. Won't the bass be too heavy?

May 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 21
I haven't heard the M50, but the HD25 is a fantastic phone.  Very balanced with a slight emphasis on bass fullness, but other than that very un-colored.  And fairly un-Sennheiser like in that the treble is present enough to be pleasing without being bright -- nuances are in the ear of the beholder, but I find them very balanced.

Durability also would not be a problem -- they are a broadcasting standard in American sports TV -- and they are portable enough you might get away with wearing them out and about -- although I wouldn't -- that's what mid-level IEMs are for.

May 26, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
I haven't heard the M50, but the HD25 is a fantastic phone.  Very balanced with a slight emphasis on bass fullness, but other than that very un-colored.  And fairly un-Sennheiser like in that the treble is present enough to be pleasing without being bright -- nuances are in the ear of the beholder, but I find them very balanced.

Durability also would not be a problem -- they are a broadcasting standard in American sports TV -- and they are portable enough you might get away with wearing them out and about -- although I wouldn't -- that's what mid-level IEMs are for.

rolleyes.gif
 Exactly in your and mine opinion .

Comfort is something you'll just have to check out for yourself . I have no issue's at all with comfort .Though they do exert a mild pressure on the ears ( my head is not small ), they are also comparatively lightweight. Add  to that the small ear cups that sit on the ears instead of larger ear cups that sit around the ears, and you have a Big headphone sound without the Big headphone feel on your head .

But lets keep it all in a balanced perspective .Headphones are for listening to sound . The best advice anyone can give you is go to a audio shop and have a listen to as many as possible . Not always practical . 

Lucky enough the HD25's began production a a little after the last Dinosaur's walked the earth,so you'll find some used headphones to try out and re-sell if they are not what you want . The Dino's probably became extinct out of a combination of design and environmental factors . They had small brains thus lacked the knowledge and skill to adapt to the environment .

The HD25's are still popular because they are well designed and well balanced headphones .

May 26, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 21
If you're listening mainly to jazz and acoustic then the m50's wont be good either. the m50's are around the same bass level as 580s, which is very bass heavy haha

May 26, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 21
@danimoca
How exactly are you planning on using your headphones. If you're only going to use them for an hour or two at a time, then the clamping force of the hd25-ii can be taken in stride. If however you're going to have the headphones on for hours at a time, then I'd stay away from the hd25-ii and other supraaural headphones. It does become painful after too long.

May 28, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
@danimoca
How exactly are you planning on using your headphones. If you're only going to use them for an hour or two at a time, then the clamping force of the hd25-ii can be taken in stride. If however you're going to have the headphones on for hours at a time, then I'd stay away from the hd25-ii and other supraaural headphones. It does become painful after too long.

Max: 2-3 hours with them on (while watching movies). However, in most ocasions I'll have them on for just about 20-30 minutes. 

So... Aren't there any "round the ear design", closed headphones, with a somewhat balanced sound? :frowning2: Of course, within the same price range :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back