ATH-M40fs

First Impressions

I think I agree with this review...

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/...rintreview.htm

First thoughts..

- Are these a little dry...
- Could be at least as good as my Sony-7506
- I'm not sure which I like better, these or the 7506
- Am I hearing more detail than the 7506's...
- Whoaaa...
- These may be more musical than my 7506's, except when I try to compare side by side.
- Whoaaa.. More detail
- That's it, I think I like these better.

After breaking in for six hours, these are my initial impressions. I have a feeling that as I continue to listen the the A-T's, that I will rate them better than the 7506's.

Yes, at first they seem dry, but after listening more, It's apparent that the A-T's have more detail by a couple of notches, and may be more enjoyable to listen to by a couple of nothces.

One anology I've been thinking of is that the 7506's are like an incandescent light bulb. The light is white after all, except in comparison with a halogen bulb. The 7506's have a slight yellow colloration, compared to the pureness and detail of the M40's. While at first not seeming too musical, the detail eventually overcomes and shows it musicality.

The A-T's are a little bit larger and heavier, but still very comfortable.

A-T M40's... Ready to Rock
7506's ... May be sterile with a tinge of color.

By the way ---

$ 169.95
http://www.discountwarehouse.com/tn-ath-m40.html

$ 69.95
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

Dave in Long Beach
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 22
If the ATH-M40fs are comparable to the MDR-7506/V6, I think I will stay far far away from both of them
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2002 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 22
Well, I may say they are comparable in some ways, but....

I hope you're not going to tell me you like the Koss-35's better. (Not that they're bad)

While you're talkin, you might as well tell us what you like, so we can have a frame of reference to compare to. We might even come upon something that is truly better.

Feb 2, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 22
My brother has the ATH-M40FS. He bought it at Tom Lee here in Downtown Vancouver for $100 CDN (about $60 US) on boxing day just over 2 years ago. Personally I think it's a lot better sounding than my EX70's, but I don't have any experience with mid-to-high-end phones so unfortunately I feel that my opinions on the phones might not be very accurate as they are the most expensive pair of headphones I have heard (pathetic, huh...), and I wouldn't want to be misleading with any comments on them.

Feb 2, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 22
Last Saturday, I found a pair of M40fs at a musician's store in downtown Sunnyvale. They're being sold for $89. I think I'll go back there tomorrow and see if they're still there.
wink.gif
If they are, then I'll buy that pair. Hope they sound superb for that sub $100 price!!!!
wink.gif
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 22
Well, a couple of hours later, and I am completely satisfied with the A-T's. I'm liking them more and more. More detail, and musical. What else do I want. Nothing I can think of right now.

Oh did I mention the M40's have oodles of detail.

Dave
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 22
dlockert, your comment has just made me even HUNGRIER to buy the sole pair of M40fs at the musician's store in downtown Sunnyvale!!!!
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
I think that'll be the first thing I do tomorrow afternoon when I leave the house!!!!
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #9 of 22
Like I said, I'm fully satisfied.

About the bass, I'd say it's there and neutral. I'm sure not complaining.

I would say the 7506's probably have more bass and "boominess". In other words a slight emphasis on bass.

I think with the A-T 40's, the music is very clean, as is the bass. So it's there, just not emphasized

dl

Feb 2, 2002 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 22
How would you rate these on comfort? How much they block out outside sound? In what ways do they fold or bend, compared to the V6's? Would these be good DJ headphones? Thanks....

Feb 2, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 22
My first impressions on comfort are good.

I have to admit that the Sony's may be SLIGHTLY more comfortable. This may be because they are somewhat smaller and probably weigh somewhat less.

But, the A-T's having larger earcushions and a more encompassing fit. They probably are more secure on the head. The encompasing earcushions are more pleasureable than the Sony's, which are barely encompasing. The A-T's softly grip the head, no adjustment neccessary, and the encompassing ear cushions help anchor the phones in place.

It's a tradeoff, for larger encompassing ear cushions, you get larger size & weight.

I don't think anybody would complain about fit or comfort.

As to being DJ phones, I would guess they would be good bets. The sound and comfort is enjoyable. The isolation is there. The ear cushions rotate.

I do not know what other specific characteristics DJ's look for. Let me know what you're looking for and I'll try to respond.

Dave

Feb 2, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 22
DJ's look for bass that will NOT get lost (this can be done with quality bass, btw, it just has to be ever so slightly exaggerated). The earcups have to rotate for one eared monitoring, like the Sennheiser HD25's, the Technics RPDJ1200's, the Sony MDR-V700DJ's, the IXOS DJ1001's all do. The headphones have to be tight enough to not fall off in most any situation.

You generally have to be able to put the headphones around your neck, and rotate the earcups so that they are facing UP from your shoulder, so you can just place your ear down on the headphone as the need arises (so you can have your hands free). You also have to be able to have them not fall off when ON your head, with one earcup not on your ears for one-sided monitoring. Also, you need durability, and a cord that enters on one side.

Feb 3, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 22
Hey Gluegun ---

I would say the bass is highly defined, but may not be exagerated. You'll hear it when it needs to be heard.

The earcups rotate, but I am unsure about the fit in this case.

The headphones are very secure as long as the headband is moved forward on the head. If the headband is in the middle or to the rear of the head, they will be vulnerable to violent movements. The fit is not tight, but lightly snug. While the Sony 7506 has a metal headband that can be adjusted or bent, the A-T's may not have that feature. The sides of the A-T's are plastic, and I am unsure what the center of the headband is. (I'm not willing to try to bend them to find out either!!)

The earcups rotate and will fit snug around the neck (because of earcup size) when the earphones are placed around the neck. (unless you have a long neck) The earcups will face out from the shoulders, rather than up, making it difficult to bend your head down to listen to one cup. The cups rotate 20 degrees forward or 180 degrees backward, therefor the cups will face out when rotated and worn around the neck.

When on the head, and one earcup rotated, the headphones may be less secure, plus you have a hard round back pointed at your ear or temple. It would not be my choice to wear them this way.

The cord is one piece that comes out from the left earpiece.

There is only one durability issue that I would be concearned about. Whereas the 7506's have a very thin cushion under the headband with a taut "pleather" fabric, the A-T 40's have a rather large soft cushion under the headband, and is covered top and bottom loosely with "pleather". I would have to say and fear that the 40's may wear or tear more easily than the Sony's.

Hope I answered your questions.

Dave

Feb 4, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 22
Grrr. Canadians can't seem to get good cans at a reasonable price... I called my local pro-audio store, and they quoted me the M40 for CDN$190 = $USD120, the same as for the MDR-7506 (V6 are not available in Canada).

Ordering from the US? Forget it! First, musiciansfriend.com doesn't ship outside the US. And I remember checking the price for getting V6 shipped to Canada. After shipping, broker's fee and tax, the price was $120, the same as buying the 7506 brand new locally. Grrrr.

mad.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif

Feb 4, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 22
For those who love DJ headphones -- you may want to also consider auditioning the Technics RP-DJ1200. HiFiChoice also thinks highly of them as well in some ways.

Let us know what you find
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back