Audio Technica M20 impressions
Jun 6, 2009 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

KONAKONA

Banned
Well this one comes with a story. I was at my uncle's wedding today and about half way through the ceremony I noticed a set of headphones sitting on a mixing board on the corner of the stage (or was it an alter? It was in a church, but it was one of those contemporary things...anyway). After staring at them for the remainder of the ceremony and not knowing what they were, I waited until after the thing was over and went up to take a listen. Turns out they were audio technica M20s, and they kind of surprised me. I only spent about 5-10 min with them, but here is what I came up with.

Bass: Definitely rolled off. Kind of like my AD700s, but there was just not enough bass for dance/techno and the likes. It however sounds fine with more acoustic music (Say jazz).

Mids: These are what surprised me. The upper end of the sax in a jazz song I was listening to sounded more pronounced and detailed then on my MS1s. I thought the song actually sounded better on the M20s then it did on my MS1s. The mids are very detailed IMO.

Highs: I'm still not that good with these. They were there, maybe a bit more than on my MS1s, but there was none of that harshness that I get with my AD700s, so maybe they were rolled off.

Soundstage: No clue, I suck at finding out how good those soundstages are. All of them must be hiding or something...

Other thoughts: The pads on these were absolutely trashed, almost all of the pleather was gone just leaving the pad underneath. That said, they were not uncomfortable to me. Not melt away on your head like the AD700s, but in no way uncomfortable for the 5-10 min I had them on. There was not much isolation on them unfortunately, in fact I think I saw a vent on the side so I thought they were semi-open. They also sounded a bit quiet on my U5, and I didn't happen to have my amp on me. I could still get them up to an OK listening volume, but I almost had the poor cowon maxed out. I'm wondering if they would sound any better on my lil portable amp/dac.

After I got back I did a little research, and I think these are quite nice for 30$. Definitely easier to get ahold of then the FOTPYoS (Flavor of the past year or so) HA-RX700s and IMO, a nice addition to the sub 50$ range.

Anyone with better ears wanna go out and try a pair of these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back