Audio Technica headphone cable recall
Apr 15, 2010 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

tk3

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw they put up a notice on their website, concerning the models ATH-AD2000、ATH-AD1000PRM、ATH-A900LTD and ATH-A900T about the cable.

I'm not entirely sure, but it says there is a problem with the cable grounding that is joined or something like that.
They say the sending back is free, but I suppose that only counts for Japanese people. They also say it's not a safety concern.

In the pictures, it says that the repaired headphones that do have independent left/right ground have a small sticker under the wing support.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 14
You might want to edit the JP out, as apparently the recall is getting global. AT Hong Kong / China also issues the recall and you can read it in English here. Since these models are all made in the same place I assume the cable issue probably run in all previously made models that have been sold around the world.

If I read it right, it seems to be that the two ground wires running from the Y-splitter to the mini plug should have been separated and joined at the plug, but somehow they were joined at the Y-splitter down, making them three channels (L, R , G) instead of four (L, R, LG, RG).

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to edit the JP out,

Done.

Quote:

If I read it right, it seems to be that the two ground wires running from the Y-splitter to the mini plug should have been separated and joined at the plug, but somehow they were joined at the Y-splitter down, making them three channels (L, R , G) instead of four (L, R, LG, RG).

So how does this affect the headphone sound wise?

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Done.

It shouldnt.....if it gets joined at the plug or the y split. Because its joined anyway :S! this doesnt make sense.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 14
I am not sure that I would bother. But that sounded rather annoying and dishonest to their customer as this had been for a while at least.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 14
Uhmm... the A900LTD are such old models.. :O
Also, My A900LTD have been recabled by the previous owner.. so how do I go about getting the replacement? Or I can't?

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 14
Superfrag: I'd say not.
1. If they're modified, I doubt they're still under warranty.
2. If they've been recabled, you probably don't have this issue.
3. Even if AT did the replacement, they'd put the stock cable on. Surely you'd prefer whatever the previous owner replaced it with (sorry for preposition placement)

But there's no harm in calling up the AT dealer where you bought the headphones and asking. "please send your headphones through your purchased distributor/dealer." But since you bought them used, You'll have to e-mail AT directly, and ask instead of "return them directly to the address below on “freight collected” basis."

Also: form the website: "minimizing the chance of product pilferage or loss during transit."

"Pilferage" is my new favourite word-of-the-month. (The order thus far has been: surreptitiously-> abscond-> pilferage.)

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks a lot dorkvader!
Guess I won't send it to them! And yeah, they have also been Fitz modified(which can be reversible, but I don't know how it was originally.. lol)

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 14
Heads up for anyone aboard. Try contacting your local AT HQ, AT UK is glad to do repairs locally and are ordering the needed cable.

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 14
Just got an email saying they wont have cables in the US for a couple months...

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #13 of 14
any idea what kind of cable will be used as a replacement? i have an impression that even a diy one is still better...

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 14
I was thinking of buying a pair of ad2000s. Does that mean all the pairs that are available on the market right now have the manufacturing flaw? Should I wait for a few months before I buy a pair of AD2000s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back