Audio-technica ESW9/10 Appreciation Thread
Jul 28, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #16 of 51
It seems Audio Technica only sells these in the USA and not in Europe  (http://www.audio-technica.com and http://www.eu.audio-technica.com/en/ compared). I live in Europe. Best way to get them would be by buying on Pricejapan.com I suppose (seeing quite a few bought their ATH-W1000X from there it seems legit). I can't find them in webshops or stores from Holland. The only links on Google I get are about the fooneys (selling for like 25 EUR, yeah right). Maybe will have another look on these cans when I decide to upgrade my portable rig.

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #17 of 51
I use my esw10jpns everyday as my portables and they are essentially a even more seductive and more fun version of the ad2000s. No chance I'll replace them anytime soon.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 51

Quote:
It seems Audio Technica only sells these in the USA and not in Europe  (http://www.audio-technica.com and http://www.eu.audio-technica.com/en/ compared). I live in Europe. Best way to get them would be by buying on Pricejapan.com I suppose (seeing quite a few bought their ATH-W1000X from there it seems legit). I can't find them in webshops or stores from Holland. The only links on Google I get are about the fooneys (selling for like 25 EUR, yeah right). Maybe will have another look on these cans when I decide to upgrade my portable rig.

Have you tried the FS/FT forum here? or if you want a pair brand new, maybe try headroom.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #19 of 51
I have the ESW9, and I like them: they sound better than the IEMs I used to take with me (including the IE8). They have great vocals, and the drums' impacts come out strong. I am currently debating between them and the Beyer T50p, which I find more comfortable and less coloured, though brighter.

Decisions, decisions...

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #20 of 51
Ok, I've tried ESW9 some days ago, and I agree that this thing has really sweet vocal, I love how its sound for acoustic songs. It's just transparant and smooth.

But, one matter that prevent me to buy it is the comfort issue, I feel that the earpads really push my ears, and even only about 10 minutes I'm already feel pain.

So, actually, am I just wrong how to use it? maybe any some tricks to make it more comfortable?

Anyone already compared it to other woody ATH? maybe W1000x?

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 51
I bought mine from beach camera. Fast shipping to Sweden, but they were shipped by FedEx... Got a nice VAT and their "invoice-fee" at a total of $100 (700 SEK) a month after though. Don't know if this was actually FedEx's fault... But I choose to believe so.

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/searchresults.aspx?cti=&scs=true&kwd=esw9&x=0&y=0

Quote:

Got the same problem, but I'll live with it. You can stretch them a bit but that makes them so ugly to wear :)

Quote:

So, actually, am I just wrong how to use it? maybe any some tricks to make it more comfortable?

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 51

Quote:
Ok, I've tried ESW9 some days ago, and I agree that this thing has really sweet vocal, I love how its sound for acoustic songs. It's just transparant and smooth.

But, one matter that prevent me to buy it is the comfort issue, I feel that the earpads really push my ears, and even only about 10 minutes I'm already feel pain.

Anyone already compared it to other woody ATH? maybe W1000x?

I usually tend to have the cups on mine angled more than they probably would otherwise.  Mostly I do this to control the bass a little (I perceive it as getting muddled if I seal too well, YMMV), but it also helps keep it from putting too much pressure on my ear and ear lobes.  It means I get pressure closer to the front of my ears near my temples, but it doesn't bother me too much.  and I have a big noggin.  heh.

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #24 of 51

Quote:
My ESW9's are coming in next week, so maybe I can do a quick comparison with my W1000X, although I'm not sure how well I can describe what I'm hearing.

can't wait for your review 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I usually tend to have the cups on mine angled more than they probably would otherwise.  Mostly I do this to control the bass a little (I perceive it as getting muddled if I seal too well, YMMV), but it also helps keep it from putting too much pressure on my ear and ear lobes.  It means I get pressure closer to the front of my ears near my temples, but it doesn't bother me too much.  and I have a big noggin.  heh.

Quote:

Got the same problem, but I'll live with it. You can stretch them a bit but that makes them so ugly to wear :)

ok, thx for the suggestions 
smile.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #25 of 51
What I did for comfort was bending not just some parts of the headband but holding it in my hands with the cups down and stretching it part by part along the whole length of the headband. 

That did the trick for me and now they are super comfy.

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #27 of 51

Quote:
I have the ESW9, and I like them: they sound better than the IEMs I used to take with me (including the IE8). They have great vocals, and the drums' impacts come out strong. I am currently debating between them and the Beyer T50p, which I find more comfortable and less coloured, though brighter.

Decisions, decisions...

T50p looks cool, but I think ESW9 looks better with the wood cups (just my opinion though).

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #28 of 51

Quote:
T50p looks cool, but I think ESW9 looks better with the wood cups (just my opinion though).

Yeah, but it's a matter of preference: metal or wood. Since I'm a geologist, in mining exploration, I have a certain natural affinity to metal.

On the other hand, having headphones carved out of the carcass of slaughtered trees has a certain... je ne sais quoi.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #29 of 51

Quote:
The ESW9 is great. I can only imagine the ESW10 being better. Would anyone who has owned both give some impression both of them?

I've bought ESW9's for both my sons and recently acquired some ESW10s for myself. I haven't spent a lot of time listening to their ESW9's. I keep telling myself I'm going to sit down and do a side-by-side comparison, but so far that hasn't happened. From the limited listening I have done, I'd describe the ESW10's as more detailed, with better separation, and less bass-heavy. Not that the 10's lack bass, they are just more balanced across the spectrum. Of course, they cost more than twice as much as the 9's, if you can even get your hands on them. It took me about 3 months of searching the FS forums before I managed to snag a pair.

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #30 of 51

Quote:
I've bought ESW9's for both my sons and recently acquired some ESW10s for myself. I haven't spent a lot of time listening to their ESW9's. I keep telling myself I'm going to sit down and do a side-by-side comparison, but so far that hasn't happened. From the limited listening I have done, I'd describe the ESW10's as more detailed, with better separation, and less bass-heavy. Not that the 10's lack bass, they are just more balanced across the spectrum. Of course, they cost more than twice as much as the 9's, if you can even get your hands on them. It took me about 3 months of searching the FS forums before I managed to snag a pair.

so... I guest the esw10 is just brighter than esw9? how about the smoothness and the sweet vocal? still like the esw9 or even better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back