Audio Technica cans on a Heed Canamp?
Sep 22, 2010 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

msninja

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I own the Heed Canamp and the AKG K701, which I'm happy with but wouldn't exactly use with some of the heavier music I listen to (Opeth, High on Fire, Tool, Mars Volta, Kyuss etc). At the moment I'm using my Alessandro MS-1i for that kind of music, which is a GREAT headphone considering it's price, but I feel like I would like to try something even better.

As it happens, the store I work are starting to get Audio Technica cans, with access to their entire line, which of course has me drooling from the mouth
smily_headphones1.gif

I know I could get a good price on them, but I don't know where to start. I don't want to order in lots of different models for myself just to try and end up not buying them. I'm already sure that I will get either the ESW9 or ES10 for my commute to and from work, but I'm unsure if there's any of the AT-line that would go well with my Heed Canamp and work as a good complement to the K701 which does great which certain kinds of music, but as I mentioned, not with the heavy stuff.

Any ideas or tips where I should start looking?

I'm mainly looking for AT cans, but I would of course greatly appreciate other tips as well!

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 10
*bump* noone?

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 10
To my knowledge, my ESW10JPN do not change significantly from amplification, however, as per all audio equipment, they are affected by coloration. If the Canamp is need as warm as people say, then it might make either headphone too warm to bear.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 10
Alright, thanks! I've pretty much settled for the ESW9 or ES10 already, but that's just for my commute to and from work. It's great that they maintain their sound without a portable amp!

My main question is if there's any of the bigger AT cans that would complement my AKG K701 on the Canamp. For example I would very much like to hear about impressions of the ATH-A2000X, ATH-W1000X or even the ATH-W5000 on a Heed Canamp, or if anyone has good ideas how they would go together.

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 10
*bump*
Noone that has tried the Heed with ATH-W1000X, or at least has some technical insight as to whether this combo might work? The amp is known for driving low impedance-phones like the AKG K701 very nicely, which is why I'm hoping that it would also be capable of making the W1000X deliver since it's 42 ohms. I'm not a tech-head when it comes to these kinds of synergies!

Anyways, I really like the K701, but I want to try a good closed can, mainly to avoid disturbing the ol' missus and also to have good can for heavier stuff which almost gets too analytical and airy on the K701.

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 10
*update*

Ordered ATH-W1000X. Got a great price directly from the distributor which finally pushed me over the edge
smily_headphones1.gif

Will update later with listening impressions on the Heed Canamp and comparisons how they work as complements to the AKG K701 for me!

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 10
I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on how that combo sound.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 10
I've now used my W1000X with my Heed Canamp and my Little Dot MK II, as well as my Benchmark DAC1 for a while, and I do have to say that while I highly enjoy the sound out of all of them, if I had to choose only one for my W1000X I think I would take the Heed! It's got a warm tone that I enjoy for long sessions of easy-listening fun, even though I do use the headphone amp in the Benchmark DAC1 for classical and jazz to get that more analytical sound with slightly less emphasized bass response.

The little dot mk ii has a very similiar sonic image to the Heed, at least with the stock tubes which makes it extremely good valur for money since it cost me a lot less :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back