Audio-Technica audiophile line vs. studio line?
Mar 8, 2008 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lunatique

1000+ Head-Fier
The ATH-M50 is getting rave reviews in the pro audio world, praised by big name recording engineers, producers...etc. I'm wondering how is Audio-Technica's studio line of headphones different from their audiophile line of headphones? For example, the M50 vs. the A500 or A700 (similar price range)?

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 4
I think it's hard to find somebody own them in the same time.
smily_headphones1.gif

I own M50, and will say it's very good for the price. nice bass and good clarity.

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 4
the M50 in my opinion should just remain in the studio or for bassy type music. it's great for a relatively balanced sound, but it didn't make me ear-gasm.

A700 did better with all the genres I like: jazz, orchestral, chamber, pop

For hip hop, I'm sure the M50 will trump the A700
EDIT: primarily because the A700 can make simulated cymbals in hip hop music sound painful. The bloated bass in the A700 is still enjoyable to listen to. The M50 is too warm for my tastes.

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 4
I owned both at the same time - but ended up selling the M50's since I didn't really have a need for closed phones. Good cans, but ultimately I preferred the AD700 for my needs. AT is an interesting company in that they don't have one sound signature (ie - AKG tends to be very neutral/bass light, Sennheiser has a "veil" and warm sound), so comparing their headphones with one another is harder than comparing the HD555 and the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back