Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones
Feb 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #151 of 304
It should be noted that W5000 has high quality bass while for example w3000anv does not provide you with that level of definition altough you will hear more low requencies. Best test is bass guitar where at least myself cannot hear string details on w3000anv while it is present on w5000. I encourage everybody to try round insert inside leather pads. Totally reversable and in fact you might be quite surpriced. It is not my mod but do not remember the name of iventor. My modification is that instead of rubber tube i'm using synthetic rope which provides some dumping i believe being clean and not prone to any deteriration. The only drawback i cannot find this size of robe in dark color so it looks slightly funny but barely noticeable really. I have done the same mod on 3000anv but results are not that obvious mainly due w3000anv pads being smaller.

I would say that the W5000s have some of the very worst bass I've heard for any headphone (regardless of price)...again:
YMMV of course.

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #152 of 304
It should be noted that W5000 has high quality bass while for example w3000anv does not provide you with that level of definition altough you will hear more low requencies. Best test is bass guitar where at least myself cannot hear string details on w3000anv while it is present on w5000. I encourage everybody to try round insert inside leather pads. Totally reversable and in fact you might be quite surpriced. It is not my mod but do not remember the name of iventor. My modification is that instead of rubber tube i'm using synthetic rope which provides some dumping i believe being clean and not prone to any deteriration. The only drawback i cannot find this size of robe in dark color so it looks slightly funny but barely noticeable really. I have done the same mod on 3000anv but results are not that obvious mainly due w3000anv pads being smaller.

When I first got W5000, my other reference phones were HD650. And at that time I was shocked by how much more bass information ATH delivers. What was one note fuzzy ball on HD650 turned out into tight, well defined, with stunning texture grunt. That combined with amazing details and 3D soundstage was a true eye opener for me.
Granted these days HD800 and T1 would outshine them almost in all departments, but none of them closed and considering how little SQ you compromise when switching, they are just unbelievable deal for the price, esp. used.
Having said that, for heavy metal, industrial and other aggressive stuff, TH600 could be a better choice, they are not as refined but suit these genres better. For bigger orchestral pieces, and esp. vocals, W5000 are hands down better.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #153 of 304
  When I first got W5000, my other reference phones were HD650. And at that time I was shocked by how much more bass information ATH delivers. What was one note fuzzy ball on HD650 turned out into tight, well defined, with stunning texture grunt. That combined with amazing details and 3D soundstage was a true eye opener for me.
Granted these days HD800 and T1 would outshine them almost in all departments, but none of them closed and considering how little SQ you compromise when switching, they are just unbelievable deal for the price, esp. used.
Having said that, for heavy metal, industrial and other aggressive stuff, TH600 could be a better choice, they are not as refined but suit these genres better. For bigger orchestral pieces, and esp. vocals, W5000 are hands down better.

Quite the opposite experience in some ways with me. I mostly listen to classical music. My HD650s were bassy, foggy, clear but unremarkable. When I initially purchased my ATH-W5000 (I needed closed back headphones) and tried them I was put away by how dry they sounded and how moderate, even absent the bass was. With time, not only did I get used to its sound but I grew to love the detailed mids (overtly so at times) and the pretty good soundstage for a closed set. The bass never impressed me but in some instances it's not a problem. Sadly, with some organ music that goes really deep into the bass area and with some music where the double bass impact is necessary, it was never a fully complete experience. Now my T5p gives me what I'm looking for in a closed set. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #154 of 304
  I would say that the W5000s have some of the very worst bass I've heard for any headphone (regardless of price)...again:
YMMV of course.

+1
Lacking bass a lot!
Also too hot higher medium frequencies.
I sold my W5000 as I couldn't like them although I tried a lot by changing amps (i used to have the dedicated AT-HA5000 amp), cables and DACs. There were little improvements, but nothing big - you cannot change the base characteric of headphones.

For some music genres and low volume listening they were great! But I listen mainly to rock, pop and electronic music which are not the best genres for W5000:frowning2:

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #155 of 304
I have several good headphones, but ATH W5000 powered with Yamamoto HA-02 is the most I love. They don't sound that good with my portable or solid state amps. Probably tube amps add a lot to bass and lower mids which balance them better. They are less detailed than Stax O2 or HD800, but are very musical, especially with female vocals. AT 1000x is honestly no comparison. 3000anv are better all rounders but not as comfortable and detailed. Good source and amp being the best out of them. Fit and hence bass could be an issue, better to try before buying. I liked it so much that I later ended buying 1000x and 3000anv just out of curiosity.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #156 of 304
  When you can find adapter to 3.5 mm. Please kindly let me know the result of X3 + W5000. I almost pull the trigger to order it from amazon.

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Finally let my son try it with the Fiio X3 after the adapter came in.  After much discussion we both agreed that it drives the W5000 fine but it'll leave you wanting for more.  The detail is all there and soundstage is still amazing but it's just a bit rough and I feel can get fatiguing after a while.  I think it doesn't sound better than what I actually use it with which is my creek audio amp OBH-11 and D1 DAC as I didn't do a direct comparison just based off memory....  

I was thinking about your situation some more about how you wanted to use it as a portable phone in Thailand and correct me if I'm wrong, Thailand has that tropical heat?  You probably won't want to walk around in these in the summer time over there because I can see that once the sweat starts trickling down it might ruin the nice lamb skin ear pads...just a thought.  Also, with my unit, I notice that when I move around I can hear small squeaks from the headphone wing band.  That's something that always irritated me about the headphones.  Like I need to apply wd-40 in the joints or something.  Not sure if anyone else experienced that with their own W5000.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #158 of 304

Wowww, it's my honor to get advice from this little professional gentleman
o2smile.gif

I absolutely agree with you about "rough" sound. Now, I use X3 with ESW11LTD. It's very good for vocal but in some music genres, ESW11LTD reveal some not so smooth sound but not too much. And I read many users said that W5000 will very sensitive and reveal for any poor source.

Anyhow, I pull the trigger and will order W5000. I will consider FiiO X5 or HM901 to use with this phone

Please give my regards to your little gentleman for his valuable comment. Thanks!!!!

Edited: Another thing, I think I use the wrong wording. When I said "walk around", I mean walk around in my house not outside
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #159 of 304
  They really are not designed for use directly out of DAP or in portable application. If that's what you are after, I'd suggest to look somewhere else.

Thanks for your suggestion. I need new phone to replace my old W1000. I already try W1000X, but I feel I don't like it. So I will use W5000 with some portable DAP first, if it is not that good, I will find some additional gear.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #161 of 304
I think you cannot. You need transformer. This is how I run it. I have never seen other voltage than 100v. I think somebody reported that it is possible to run it in US with some filtered power. Not sure about it though.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #163 of 304
  Wowww, it's my honor to get advice from this little professional gentleman
o2smile.gif

I absolutely agree with you about "rough" sound. Now, I use X3 with ESW11LTD. It's very good for vocal but in some music genres, ESW11LTD reveal some not so smooth sound but not too much. And I read many users said that W5000 will very sensitive and reveal for any poor source.

Anyhow, I pull the trigger and will order W5000. I will consider FiiO X5 or HM901 to use with this phone

Please give my regards to your little gentleman for his valuable comment. Thanks!!!!

Edited: Another thing, I think I use the wrong wording. When I said "walk around", I mean walk around in my house not outside
tongue_smile.gif

I think you'll enjoy the W5000, cheers!
beerchug.gif

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #164 of 304
Just order W5000 from pricejapan today

My W1000 has fun factor, good sound stage
My ESW11LTD has better details

So I just hope that my new W5000, will combine the advantage from both
atsmile.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #165 of 304
Got mine yesterday, leave it over the night with Isotek burn track. Cannot recommend any thing at this state, but feel good to get this can for my woodies collection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back