Audio Technica ATH-W1000 Review by 6moons.com
Jun 26, 2004 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

purk

Headphoneus Supremus
Jun 26, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Does anyone else dislike reading 6moons reviews? Even with this review, which I was very intested in, I found myself skimming just to get to some significant points. Maybe it's just me.

I wish I could compare my W1000 to some other high-end headphones on my system. Maybe I'll get a good job some day and start trying them out. I do think this headphone has become somewhat under-rated soundwise, but I'm not sure I would agree that it's as great as this particular reviewer claims (from what I could extrapolate from that dense review
wink.gif
).

Jun 26, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 9
Zzzzzz.

From what I can make out, he made the W1000 seem like... HD650s
biggrin.gif
Not bad phones by any means but I have to concede that if you're comparing headphones both open and closed in that price bracket there are at least two (the HD650 being one of them and the CD3K the other) which are better. There are also cheaper open phones which are just as good. Still, some people will pay for the art as well as performance as in RS-1 (well, if a high school wood/metalworking project counts as 'art'
evil_smiley.gif
), W2002, etc and the W1000 is no different that way. It also does provide some (although it's less than the A-series chassis) isolation.

The W1000 doesnt need quite the overkill amplification as a DT880 might need in order to coax decent musicality and entertainment from it, but I will say that the W1000 also tends to benefit from the same kind of amping that 'just on the entertaining side of neutral' phones like the DT880 likes... and that's tubes in the most traditional sense. The W1K has resolution and highs you can trade off a little for some much-needed tube induced bloom in the performance.

But it is decidedly cool, sharp and bass-light when compared to many other phones. Ety lovers might like these.

Jun 26, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
But it is decidedly cool, sharp and bass-light when compared to many other phones.

I don't find them bass-light at all... and I am not an Ety lover, but a Shure E5 lover.
biggrin.gif

Well, they are light on bass... if I compare them with the DT770PROs!
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 9
The hell with the headphones, that is a magnificent tube / solid state CDP. Tell me that you look at the headphone amp PCB and aren't thinking of a swap with some of "our" circuits. !

Jun 27, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 9
What a bizarre piece of writing! Some pretty decent pix, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back