Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Mar 8, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #826 of 2,669
Can

Well the D14 is more dynamic sounding. I got clear highs with balanced mids and lows.. The D14 wont over emphasize a certain freq range.

While the Theorem is much more refined and smooth sounding. The mids and lows are so laid back that you can really enjoy songs with an emphasis on vocals very much.
The highs however are quite rolled-off IMO. You wont get the edge that you'll looking for if you listen to rock songs.

Now I've heard these two amps with several IEMs and headphones, but nothing really tells the picture of the amp characteristics quite like the R70x

Very interesting.  I found that between my DAP vs an amp, the R70X's strengths really showed through.  Imaging was significantly better through the amp.  I was hearing positioning/ instrumental setups in ways that other equipment hadn't rendered before.  To realize the R70X's potential, you really need a decent amp, especially to bring out the body in the lower-frequencies.  Otherwise these are going to sound like very standard and somewhat flat headphones.

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #827 of 2,669
Not that the K5 is anything special, but I'm liking the sound better straight off my X3-II vs docked on the K5 with plenty of extra power. It sounds the equivalent of Audeze putting a fazor in the LCD-2!

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #828 of 2,669
Very interesting.  I found that between my DAP vs an amp, the R70X's strengths really showed through.  Imaging was significantly better through the amp.  I was hearing positioning/ instrumental setups in ways that other equipment hadn't rendered before.  To realize the R70X's potential, you really need a decent amp, especially to bring out the body in the lower-frequencies.  Otherwise these are going to sound like very standard and somewhat flat headphones.

Agree! Again this really shows that the R70x scales very well depending on the gear

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #832 of 2,669
Been using the X2 and THX00 and k7xx at home while k553 and MDR-1R at work and I just decided to take the R70x's to work today and I cant believe I forgot how good these sound! So immersive, everything sounds so goood all the timeeeee! Its like when you give up meat for a month then eat a steak xD

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #833 of 2,669
Been using the X2 and THX00 and k7xx at home while k553 and MDR-1R at work and I just decided to take the R70x's to work today and I cant believe I forgot how good these sound! So immersive, everything sounds so goood all the timeeeee! Its like when you give up meat for a month then eat a steak xD

How is the R70x when compared to the THx00 and K7xx respectively??

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #834 of 2,669
How is the R70x when compared to the THx00 and K7xx respectively??

It depends. theres no way i can compare all 3 in a single paragraph. It's not as simple as saying one is better than the other. They are all fantastic.Its really hard sometimes deciding which one I want to listen to because I want to listen to them all! I wish I had more ears. Wait actually no i didnt say that id rather have more time. Hear that universe?! Crap better not wake up tomorrow with 7 ears..

Usually I just decide which one to listen to based on hygiene. Cloth/velours/Summit-fi only after a shower, and leather/pleather for when I showered before work and want to listen to music when I get home. But thats just me P:

What do you want to know about specifically? If you can tell me what is important to you in a headphone's build or sound signature I can better answer you haha

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #838 of 2,669
I understand, and again, that would take ages to type up. What are you looking for? are you a treble head? bass head? Vocal head? Neutral head? Are you looking for soundstage? airiness? extension? rumble? slam? sibilance?

Help me help you (;

I like natural balanced sound. I just want to know (in summary) about the low-mid-high qualities of those two headphones.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #840 of 2,669
  i'm confused. do the audeze pads fit on the r70x or not?

The Audeze pads are already almost too big for my AD1000x. I don't have the R70x but I believe it's smaller diameter than the other Audio-Technica phones so the Audeze pads will certainly be too big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back