Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Oct 22, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #1,126 of 2,669
This is my #1 sought after headphone for me once I can get over the idea of letting the AD900x go.  I'm happy with the K712, I seek nothing from AKG.  But I'm intrigued by the idea of a counterpart to K712 from AT.  The price is in the way, and already have the AD900x/K712.  I'm stumped.  Maybe I'll find a good deal in 2017.  Also my AD900x have replacement pads that are as comfy as K712, and retain their shape just as well.  I haven't seen such replacements for r70x available yet.

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #1,127 of 2,669
Of all the ADs that I have had, the ad900x is my less favourite. The only AD that can possibly take that spot is the AD900. I hate its trebles, cant stand more than 2 minutes on it.

Anyway I think the r70x has a somewhat neutral and natural sound that I have never found on the AD line. It's not too far from the AD1000/AD2000x but also not far from the HD600.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #1,128 of 2,669
To those seeking a little bigger sound stage, or more comfortable pads, try Brainwavz HM-5 pleather pads. Regular, or angled, I have the competitor version of these pads. They fit better, taller - wider - deeper, are more comfortable, and are easier to clean.

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #1,131 of 2,669
  SS is not huge or deep.. But it is very compact, good in left right dimensions, with good separation. Yes and it pulls you in.. Comparing with DT880 600Ohm.

BTw I sold all Grados, Beyers, Senns, ATs.. more then 20HPs I tried... And staying with these... 
beerchug.gif

I feel you there.. These and DT250-250 and I'm good in a nuclear bunker

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,139 of 2,669

I've made a cable for my pair so I could help you out. What do you want to know?

Hi pear,

This would be my first DIY cable so if there are specific cable types, jacks, tools, or equipment I need and as much information and direction as you'd be willing to write up about the cables construction I'd appreciate it.

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #1,140 of 2,669

Hi pear,

This would be my first DIY cable so if there are specific cable types, jacks, tools, or equipment I need and as much information and direction as you'd be willing to write up about the cables construction I'd appreciate it.

First DIY project is always exciting!

Well, for the R70x cable you will need a 4-conductor cable as a starting point. I used the Canare L-4E5C because the OD of the cable means a smaller connector like the Neutrik/REAN NYS231 can be used. Just personal preference but I wouldn't want a heavier cable anyway. Anyway, just look at the specs for both the cable you're going to use and the connector to make sure they are compatible. The connectors for the headphones is a more or less proprietary locking 2.5mm stereo which leaves you with rather few choices. I bought mine on AliExpress. Not sure if I can post the actual link here but I'll send it to you in a PM. If anyone else is interested just let me know.

Unlike the stock cable yours will not be L/R-independent, so a multimeter is quite useful to keep track of the L/R channels at either end. On the headphone end the left side uses tip and shield, the right side uses ring and shield (as is the case with all TRS connectors). 

To cover the "legs" of the cable from the Y-split up to the connectors I used silicone heat shrink tubing (2.5mm ID) but I decided not to shrink it in the end. This way the cable remains very flexible and I haven't had any issue with microphonics. I also think it looks neater when you don't see the twist of the two conductors. For the Y-split I just used 2 layers of normal adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing. 

Any questions feel free to ask. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back