Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Sep 1, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #1,081 of 2,669
I've actually switched back since cause its currently summer and warmer with those. It fits with a bit of manual pre-stretching of the backside to accommodate the round shape, but it'll fit. You make it fit
wink.gif

I'm worried that the angled version would not fit, as mentioned on this page: http://www.head-fi.org/t/765004/audio-technica-ath-r70x-in-depth-review-impressions/390

I'm asking this because there is a group-buy on local forum for the angled version, not the flat version.

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #1,082 of 2,669
You may be right on that, I haven't tried the angled versions on it but yes there's not much play for swivel, so I would recommend the non-angled pads. I was referring to being able to cup it onto the headphones themselves, that part can be made to fit. However, fitment to your head is variable.

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,083 of 2,669

You may want to give this link a read. I have both now, but my HE-400S is modded so everything sounds more rich than the R70X for me, but the gentleness stays the same. The R70X has more energy and a lighter overall sound, which can make it very agile and fun. While my HE-400S is great sounding after the mod, for longer listening (like during work), I reach for the R70X for it's lightness (like the article also mentioned).

Thanks for the response!

Could you offer some more insights on the levels of texturing/holographic(?) soundstaging and which one you think sounds more natural?  I don't think the weight is a big factor since I'm used to the heavier HE400 model (haha).  What mods did you do on the HE400S btw?

Thanks again~

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #1,084 of 2,669

Thanks for the response!

Could you offer some more insights on the levels of texturing/holographic(?) soundstaging and which one you think sounds more natural?  I don't think the weight is a big factor since I'm used to the heavier HE400 model (haha).  What mods did you do on the HE400S btw?

Thanks again~

I would say the HE-400S (after modding at least) sounds closer to my dome tweeter studio monitors than the R70X if that means anything. That's not to say the R70X sounds unnatural, but perhaps it would be more aligned to ribbon tweeter speed and effortlessness--which is strangely ironic because the HE-400S is planar and the R70X is dynamic, you would usually assume the other way around. The soundstage heavily depends on the pads you decide to use. Angled pads on the HE-400S creates a further sound stage while non-angled makes it closer. Either way it's more laid back presentation over the R70X, but that's also not to say the R70X is fatiguing in anyway either.

I did the mods listed here plus a balanced cable and used different pads because I prefer velour for more comfort and less sweat. Measurements with Dekoni memory foam beyer pad replacements here. I also smoothed out the hinges because you know that HIFIMAN manfucaturing; for some reason the right hinge has considerably more friction than the left (with 2 different new HE-400S' I've tried), so now it feels more like the HE-560 smoothness (especially while worn). I didn't think I minded the HE-400S weight either (it's the lightest one after all), however once you've gone dynamic lightweight, it's hard to go back!

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #1,085 of 2,669
  Sound more transparent (the 120cm)

Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered the 150 cm cable 160828 and it arrived today. Finally I no longer need to roll up the stock cable in a loop whenever I use the head phones.
I'm impressed with the build quality for the low price.
Please don't ask me to compare the sound with the stock cable. I simply have no golden ears

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #1,086 of 2,669
Hi guys, I've tested the r70x and I really like the sound. However I only have fiio e11k to power em from my PC. Would it be sufficient enough to power a 470 ohm headphone? My budget is kinda limited to buy the headphone

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #1,087 of 2,669
From what I've seen after a quick google, you should be able to at least drive the r70xes to a reasonable volume, which is at least a much better situation than direct from your PC. I'd say if you really love the r70x's sound (after sufficient testing against other headphones etc.), go for it and pick them up. Your amp will be at least sufficient for now, and you can pick up an upgrade somewhere down the line to make you r70xes sound better.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #1,091 of 2,669
R70x is already slightly tilted toward the warmer side, pairing up a tube amp IMO doesn't compliment to a cleaner sound sig with these cans. So that depends on what you like to hear.

Agree. I prefer a more analytical solid state amp for R70x.

Thanks for the reply ,
U are suggesting pairing the r70x's with analiytical solid states ? How its with gustard h10

I found excellent pairing with ifi micro iCAN and Questyle CMA800i for the desktop setup. Not sure of Gustard H10. My Violectric HPA V200 is rather too dark for R70x.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #1,092 of 2,669
Agree. I prefer a more analytical solid state amp for R70x.

I found excellent pairing with ifi micro iCAN and Questyle CMA800i for the desktop setup. Not sure of Gustard H10. My Violectric HPA V200 is rather too dark for R70x.

Thanks, again.
k understand, actually the problem comes out because i have chord mojo and i feel it cant drive this cans properly and i decided to use an amp. Anyone tried with mojo?

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #1,093 of 2,669

Users who are viewing this thread

Back