Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
May 23, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #32 of 906

Quote:
I've never heard the Pro900 SV myself, but from other reviewers it seems better than decent overall.

You're wrong there. There is the Audio Technica PRO700SV and the Ultrasone Pro 900, two completely different headphones. What I'm saying is that there is no PRO900SV.

May 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #33 of 906

Quote:

Yeah, the white one does catch the eye =D

STOP TEASING. I've wanted these for countless months, even before adding my hopeful listing in the buying and selling forums.
I should write A-T a letter. Tell them how much of my money they have, and how I just want to give them some more.... The all white 700s hands down are the best looking and best sounding street headphones period.

May 23, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #34 of 906

Quote:
You're wrong there. There is the Audio Technica PRO700SV and the Ultrasone Pro 900, two completely different headphones. What I'm saying is that there is no PRO900SV.

You're right.  I was confused with the numbers, and didn't realize that it was the Ultrasones that was being discussed.

May 23, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #35 of 906

Quote:
You're right.  I was confused with the numbers, and didn't realize that it was the Ultrasones that was being discussed.

But when you have the chance, you should have a listen to the Ultrasones, I think you'll be very positively surprised. But then again, it might just make the upgraditis rash worsen, so you better not listen to the Pro 900s
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #38 of 906
I auditioned them, and I must say I was terribly disappointed at the bass. I was expecting the "bowel-hitting, earth-shaking" bass your review praised the Pro700s so much for.

What I heard was bass that had only a little more quantity than the M50s (which aren't basshead cans) and had a warmer signature (the M50s sounded sharper in comparison). I was expecting at least a HFI 580-type bass, but I wasn't really that satisfied with the low-end volume.

Sub-bass is projected almost like the M50s, bass has more impact definitely, but it just didn't cut it as basshead-type. If anything, the Pro700 sounded like a warmer M50 with extra thump at the lower frequencies, but just didn't give me the satisfaction that the HFI-580s gave me...

I don't really know, other reviews have been calling this the headphones that will put all other basshead cans to shame, but somehow I'm not detecting it. I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens.

May 27, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #40 of 906
Ah,

Need help deciding between:  Audio Technica Pro700MK2 vs Seinnheiser 598. Anyone on the thread have an opinion on both?

I mainly listen to Electronic music - energetic; think Progressive/Deep Tech + Dubstep. Other than that, Hip Hop/RandB.

Thanks!

May 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #41 of 906

Quote:
I auditioned them, and I must say I was terribly disappointed at the bass. I was expecting the "bowel-hitting, earth-shaking" bass your review praised the Pro700s so much for.

What I heard was bass that had only a little more quantity than the M50s (which aren't basshead cans) and had a warmer signature (the M50s sounded sharper in comparison). I was expecting at least a HFI 580-type bass, but I wasn't really that satisfied with the low-end volume.

Sub-bass is projected almost like the M50s, bass has more impact definitely, but it just didn't cut it as basshead-type. If anything, the Pro700 sounded like a warmer M50 with extra thump at the lower frequencies, but just didn't give me the satisfaction that the HFI-580s gave me...

I don't really know, other reviews have been calling this the headphones that will put all other basshead cans to shame, but somehow I'm not detecting it. I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens.

It certainly does carry significantly more impact than the M50's.  Those pads are not putting a full seal around your ears, letting the low notes vanish.  Plus the ear is extremely close to the driver.  The way they designed the MK2's with those pads is holding their greatness back.  Trust me, exchange those garbage MK2 stock pads (which I have not touched since) and slap on the M50 pads (I even bought a secondary set of pads as well).  Seriously, I forgot to mentioned that there is so much bass from that switch that I actually dialed it back a touch.  It IS that incredible.  Movies have seriously spun my world
atsmile.gif
popcorn.gif
- No other headphone comes close.

It might be a hassle, but the pads must be switched and the MK2's need at least 2hrs. for the bass to come full effect.

May 27, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #43 of 906

Quote:
Ah,

Need help deciding between:  Audio Technica Pro700MK2 vs Seinnheiser 598. Anyone on the thread have an opinion on both?

I mainly listen to Electronic music - energetic; think Progressive/Deep Tech + Dubstep. Other than that, Hip Hop/RandB.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I have no experience on the Senn 598.  However, for the genre's you just mentioned, the MK2's will bring brutal, absolute justice to them.

May 27, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #44 of 906

Quote:
It certainly does carry significantly more impact than the M50's.  Those pads are not putting a full seal around your ears, letting the low notes vanish.  Plus the ear is extremely close to the driver.  The way they designed the MK2's with those pads is holding their greatness back.  Trust me, exchange those garbage MK2 stock pads (which I have not touched since) and slap on the M50 pads (I even bought a secondary set of pads as well).  Seriously, I forgot to mentioned that there is so much bass from that switch that I actually dialed it back a touch.  It IS that incredible.  Movies have seriously spun my world
atsmile.gif
popcorn.gif
- No other headphone comes close.

It might be a hassle, but the pads must be switched and the MK2's need at least 2hrs. for the bass to come full effect.

The shopkeepers also allowed me to swap to the M50 pads temporarily. There was an increase in impact and volume, but still not up to par for me. Burn in-wise, it was an audition set, probably had more than 50 hours under its belt or so...

May 27, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #45 of 906

Quote:

The shopkeepers also allowed me to swap to the M50 pads temporarily. There was an increase in impact and volume, but still not up to par for me. Burn in-wise, it was an audition set, probably had more than 50 hours under its belt or so...

Man, you might be a bigger basshead than me!  That's ok, I think that for you MK2's plus some eq, or a Fiio E3 or E5 (some amp with bass boost) should easily do it.  I have mine connected to a Fiio E3 when mobile - sounds awesome.  Otherwise, I don't know.  The MK2's for me are out of this world when it comes to bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back