Audio-Technica ATH PRO700MK2 Professional DJ VS Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Aug 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lihokfun

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking about buying the headphones, but i dont know how to choose, especially when i see these:

Sennheiser HD25-1 II :
  1. Frequency Response 16 - 22000 Hz
Audio-Technica ATH PRO700MK2 Professional DJ :
  1. Frequency Response 5 - 35000 Hz

is that really important?

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 4
No, the reported frequency response is largely worthless as a comparison. If you want to compare, it would be a better idea to compare frequency response graphs or CSD graphs.

However, the best thing yet would be to go and have a listen to both of these headphones (this may not be feasible for you but remember you are spending quite a bit of money) because it doesn't matter how nice it looks on paper if you don't like how it sounds.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I'm thinking about buying the headphones, but i dont know how to choose, especially when i see these:

Sennheiser HD25-1 II :
  1. Frequency Response 16 - 22000 Hz
Audio-Technica ATH PRO700MK2 Professional DJ :
  1. Frequency Response 5 - 35000 Hz

is that really important?

That's technically frequency range. They are not important, most people can't hear over 18~19 khz. HD25 is a favourite among DJs, the PRO700MKII is rather new but it's previous version is not as popular as the HD25. The HD25 is on-ear and the PRO700MKII is around ear. Both have detectable cables.

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 4
You have picked two VERY different headphones.  Both in cup style (on ear vs over ear) and even more so in terms of sound. 

The PRO700MK2 is a "bass head" headphone.  I've never heard it but everything I've read of it is that it has massive amounts of eardrum-pounding bass.  It is very dark sounding, the highs and mids are veiled or recessed or rolled off sharply, and so on.  It's a bass headphone.

The HD25's on the other hand are a very different beast.  They are much flatter in the response curve, slightly V-shaped.  The bass is much weaker than the PRO700MK2, but more neutral.  For rock, metal, pop, anything fast and not super-bassy, the bass section is more than adequate on the HD25.  For hip-hop, trance, dance, other BASSY music, the HD25's might sound a bit lacking in bass.  However, the highs are nice and crisp, foward, with lots of detail (not quite true "audiophile" but close), and the mids are slightly warm, only slightly recessed, much less so than the 700's.

The HD25 is a much better all-rounder, where as the PRO700MK2 is for bass heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back