Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Nov 9, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #62 of 2,803
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but are they closed back? I'm curious to know if they're as promising as they look.

Yes, they are closed back.  They sound pretty good if you like natural bright signature.  If you're looking for strong bass, the M50x or the old M50 have more bass.

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #63 of 2,803

Yes, they are closed back.  They sound pretty good if you like natural bright signature.  If you're looking for strong bass, the M50x or the old M50 have more bass.

Can't wait for your review!!!  So far, from tids and bits of info you mentioned in your replies these sounds a lot more like my HP150 rather than M50x.  Would be an interesting comparison if I get my hands on MSR7 when it's released by AT US.  SoundMagic is OEM manufacturer of a lot of Beyer drivers, except for Tesla ones.  I have been enjoying HP150 sound tuning a lot but prefer fitment and build of my M50x.  So I have high hopes for it!

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #64 of 2,803
  SoundMagic is OEM manufacturer of a lot of Beyer drivers, except for Tesla ones.

Thanks for the info! I like my SoundMagic HP100 :)  And plan to re-cable later when I have time.
In my schedule, I have to post Brainwavz AP001 review first, after that MSR7 review. Hopefully I can post it close to the launch date (14 Nov).

So many toys, so little time 
redface.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #65 of 2,803

Thanks for the info! I like my SoundMagic HP100 :)  And plan to re-cable later when I have time.
In my schedule, I have to post Brainwavz AP001 review first, after that MSR7 review. Hopefully I can post it close to the launch date (14 Nov).

So many toys, so little time 
redface.gif

Tell me about it
wink.gif
  I'm overloaded with headphones and speakers reviews on top of all the phone cases, screen protectors, and ext battery reviews I write/post on xda-developers...  That's a price to pay with a review hobby that sometime feels like a part time job lol!!!

Also, great to know you have HP100, where HP150 uses exactly the same driver just a different earcup housing (supposed to be improved).  Would be interested to hear some brief comparison, whenever you get a chance, no rush!!! 

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #66 of 2,803
Tell me about it :wink:   I'm overloaded with headphones and speakers reviews on top of all the phone cases, screen protectors, and ext battery reviews I write/post on xda-developers...  That's a price to pay with a review hobby that sometime feels like a part time job lol!!!

Great! Now I know who to ask for smart phone accessories :wink:

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #67 of 2,803
a51efc95_img_30753.jpeg

Tony Stark's favorite new cans! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #68 of 2,803

It's only slightly bright, right?

Is it a glaring peak that would destroy the balance?

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #69 of 2,803
Sounds like a better MDR-1R? Wonder how the newer MDR-1A compares.

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #70 of 2,803
  Sounds like a better MDR-1R? Wonder how the newer MDR-1A compares.

I don't have MDR-1R / A, will try to get a loan and compare them.
MSR has the audio technica house sound, the mild emphasize on upper mid to bring the midrange a bit forward. Quite different than the Sony house sound which is usually towards warm and intimate sound.  If you like clarity, most probably MSR7 is the better choice. But if you like warm sound, most probably the Sony is the better choice. Depends on personal preference, not which one is better or worst.

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #71 of 2,803

I don't have MDR-1R / A, will try to get a loan and compare them.
MSR has the audio technica house sound, the mild emphasize on upper mid to bring the midrange a bit forward. Quite different than the Sony house sound which is usually towards warm and intimate sound.  If you like clarity, most probably MSR7 is the better choice. But if you like warm sound, most probably the Sony is the better choice. Depends on personal preference, not which one is better or worst.

So does the MSR7 have that same tonality that the ckrs have?

Or is it a lot more linear with only a slight tinge of brightness?

Just curious as the ckrs were barely warm without being analytical.

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #73 of 2,803
If you are lived in Japan and buy ATH-MSR7, you have a chance to win FiiO X5 Japanese Edition 
bigsmile_face.gif

But lived in Indonesia 
frown.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #75 of 2,803
MSR7 ad video in Japan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back