Audio-Technica ATH-M50 v.s. Audio-Technica ATH-A900X
Jun 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Lawson the Jedi

New Head-Fier
Alright as my first post here (I've been lurking on and off for a year or two) and since my headphones left channel audio decided to quit on me, I'm wondering about the major differences between these two Audio-Technicas.  Since my musical tastes include just about everything and these headphones would also be used for gaming, would there be any major difference between these two models for better or worse?  Are the A900s simply outright better than the M50s?

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 14
They would experience a lot of portable use, however I'm really unsure of the sound signature, being new to headphones.  I lack the ability to try either as the nearest retailer that might carry either of them is more than three hours out from where I live.  I would like headphones that would provide a strong, but not overpowering bass.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 14
  Alright as my first post here (I've been lurking on and off for a year or two) and since my headphones left channel audio decided to quit on me, I'm wondering about the major differences between these two Audio-Technicas.  Since my musical tastes include just about everything and these headphones would also be used for gaming, would there be any major difference between these two models for better or worse?  Are the A900s simply outright better than the M50s?

The ATH-M50 would offer a louder bass, but the A900Xs should be better in all other areas..
I added the Hifiman HE Velour ear pads to my A900X :)

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 14
  They would experience a lot of portable use, however I'm really unsure of the sound signature, being new to headphones.  I lack the ability to try either as the nearest retailer that might carry either of them is more than three hours out from where I live.  I would like headphones that would provide a strong, but not overpowering bass.

Portable use + bass emphasis = M50 (between these two choices).

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 14

JVC HA-S580 folding headphones, $70, would make great portables, ans i would guess decent gaming headphones.

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 14

If I was to go with the M50s, does anyone know if the comfort level is enhanced enough to warrant the M50xs?  Perhaps I could upgrade them with some other more comfortable ear pads?  I don't particularly care whether or not the cable is removable.

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 14
  If I was to go with the M50s, does anyone know if the comfort level is enhanced enough to warrant the M50xs?  Perhaps I could upgrade them with some other more comfortable ear pads?  I don't particularly care whether or not the cable is removable.

ATH-M50s are not considered the best choice for surround sound gaming.

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 14

Heaphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Everyone's head size, shape, sensativities, etc are different.  You need to try them yourself.

You probably would benefit from reading this:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/legend-continues-audio-technica-ath-m50x

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 14

Heaphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Everyone's head size, shape, sensativities, etc are different.  You need to try them yourself.

Thanks!  That is helpful in making a decision between the two, what it seems to come down without being able to try both models out, is whether or not I care about slightly more comfortable ear pads, removable cables, and possibly slightly enhanced sound.  Without being able to try them out I'm leaning toward the originals.  The last decision I have to make is the color, and I have to ask (I'm not joking here), I heard the sound was actually different on the white model (not because of the model, but because they may have been produced later?).  Could there be any truth to that?

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 14

Totally forgot to mention (in fact I forgot it entirely) I have actually gotten to try the original M50s, albeit for only a minute, so I know at least short term they are very comfortable.  Not in love with the pleatherish coating on the ear pads however, which is why I'd be interested in replacing those.  As for the surround sound aspect, I can deal without that as long as they don't sound muddy when a bunch of sounds are playing in game, but I suppose that's more related to the game's output?

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #13 of 14

Thanks!  That is helpful in making a decision between the two, what it seems to come down without being able to try both models out, is whether or not I care about slightly more comfortable ear pads, removable cables, and possibly slightly enhanced sound.  Without being able to try them out I'm leaning toward the originals.  The last decision I have to make is the color, and I have to ask (I'm not joking here), I heard the sound was actually different on the white model (not because of the model, but because they may have been produced later?).  Could there be any truth to that?

The color itself makes no difference.  But if they are assembled in different places, from different part suppliers, by different assemblers with different quality controls, with or without carefully matching drivers....

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 14

The color itself makes no difference.  But if they are assembled in different places, from different part suppliers, by different assemblers with different quality controls, with or without carefully matching drivers....

My thought process exactly, the white exterior only marks a different interior.

Ignore This

UPDATE: Just got word the original gaming headset is shipping, it's a pair of Razer Kraken 7.1s (USB connected version).  If I was to buy the M50s would they outclass it in every way except the lack of microphone, or would it be worth having a pair of gaming only headphones?  I can return them easily, so that isn't an issue.

EDIT: At this point my questions are unrelated to the initial thread question, I'm going to start a more appropriately titled thread to continue this.

Read This

I just read that the A900X has a much improved soundstage compared to the M50, would this improve the surround sound capabilities of the headset (I'm using emulation of course)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back