Audio-Technica ATH-M50 in Jakarta
Mar 21, 2012 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mauricio

500+ Head-Fier
Just bought a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 in Jakarta.  I paid Rp. 1.35 million, lower than the price quoted at Jabben, at Big Knob Audio.

While at Big Knob, I also auditioned the Focal Solo6 Be, CMS 50 and CMS 65.  I'll spare you the usual subjective accolades and just say that they sounded very nice to me.  Build quality is top-notch.  The Solo6 Be in particulary beautiful to behold. The CMS are built of braced and dampened die-cast aluminium, a solid hunk of metal.  I think a pair of Focals are in the cards soon...

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 3
I've been to Jakarta, but I don't recall a sign that said 'Big Knob'. Not sure the franchise will catch on outside of Indonesia though.  
biggrin.gif

Mauricio, its great to see you taking a break from trying to convert the rest of the universe to active speakers. I dont know how to break it to you, but the drivers in your new cans are 100% passive. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 3
It is I who doesn't know how to break it you.  Strictly speaking, all drivers are passive for they lack their own rail voltage.  No signal, and they are limp dead.  Also, technically speaking headphones are more similar to actives than passives.  As in an active, the amp in a headphone system is connected directly to the driver sans the detrimental interference of a passive crossover.  Why do you think headphones can sound so good?  One key reason is that there ain't no crossover standing in the way of the amp!  Did that ever occur to you?

BigKnob is here.  They deal in recording studio gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back