Audio-technica ATH-M40x broken hinge after light use
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

schmintan

New Head-Fier
need help finding spare hinges for ATH-M40x

I have a set of Audio-technica ATH-M40x that have lived on my desk for 2 years. Never used commuting or travelling. Very light use.They really were mollycoddled.

They have developed a crack in the hinge on both sides ( see image below). This shouldnt happen in the identical place on both hinges after such light use.
Audio technica Europe wont help resolve this, despite it being a product fault, just giving me a lot of silence on twitter and over email.

The headphones still sound excellent, but I cant find spare hinges for the M40x anywhere. I really dont want to purchase new headphones because of this.

Help finding hinges for these would be appreciated.Thanks!

25916471677_cd14b913fe_b.jpg

May 1, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 3
need help finding spare hinges for ATH-M40x

I have a set of Audio-technica ATH-M40x that have lived on my desk for 2 years. Never used commuting or travelling. Very light use.They really were mollycoddled.

They have developed a crack in the hinge on both sides ( see image below). This shouldnt happen in the identical place on both hinges after such light use.
Audio technica Europe wont help resolve this, despite it being a product fault, just giving me a lot of silence on twitter and over email.

The headphones still sound excellent, but I cant find spare hinges for the M40x anywhere. I really dont want to purchase new headphones because of this.

Help finding hinges for these would be appreciated.Thanks!

25916471677_cd14b913fe_b.jpg

These are the older ones like mine, before AT redesigned the metal part inside that causes the cracking with normal use. If you haven't yet I doubt you'll find hinges, and even then they'd just break again.
Suggest you dismantle it apply superglue or similar plastic repair solution to that part to fix the crack and reinforce it - should hold up after that.

May 1, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 3
yes, these hinges break from that part. It probably happens to a lot of users, it happened to me and I know it happened to others. I have just wrap around very tight elecrtical tape and has hold ok. Maybe use a bit of glue for the crack, then wrap electrical tape like a bandage for the injured :)

some ppl like to use epoxi to mold around but I dont think is necessary and its a bit smelly

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back