Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 Limited Edition Leather Headphones for 2500 dollars!!!
Nov 10, 2003 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

purk

Headphoneus Supremus
Audiocube is now taking order on the Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 Limited Edition Leather Headphones. For 2500 dollars w/o shipping cost, should we better off buying a used R10? IMO, this is a way over-priced given that the W2002 was only 800 dollars. Will someone buy it....we want review.

Purk

Nov 10, 2003 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 23
Of course nobody will know whether it's overpriced or not until they hear it
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 10, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by ManiacSmile
I know quite a few people who'd say "The King" is overpriced
very_evil_smiley.gif

well from what I know you can get the king for around the same price or maybe just a little more, in Japan if you know the contact and so on.
But gotta agree the leather is pretty!

Nov 10, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 23
As an owner of the King, I have to agree it is over priced. Kind of the same way certain Ferraris are over priced, when you consider you can buy a Corvette and get 98% of the performance for less than half the price.

But that said, Sony has been making these things in limited supply for 15 years. They have a track record, and you can make an informed decision. With the Leatherhead, you have no idea if its worth anything near its price. And you also know that AT will come out with yet another limited edition this same time next year.

Just something to consider.

Nov 10, 2003 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 23
Audiocube's price seems very high. I'd think that the street price in Japan will turn out to be a lot lower. Maybe at 50 or 60 percent.

BTW, I prefer the old AT W100 to the R10. To my ears, it's smoother, more homogenous, more forgiving, less analytical, and even more musical and enjoyable than the King (which is a great headphone). I'd say that the price-performance ratio is to be determined by every listener individually. The question for each of us is: is it worth the extra money to me? If I liked the R10 best, I wouldn't care what anybody else says.

Nov 10, 2003 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 23
thats strange tomcat.

I had the r10s and w100s at the same time and had em plugged into my cary. I thought the r10s were much more musical. They were a bit more detailed, but were warmer and sweeter with tighter and stronger bass performance. The soundstange and ambience is of course unmatched.

Im startin to think my w100s were bad, or perhaps they had that magnetism problem. They sounded closed in, nasaly, and colorless.

k.s.

Nov 10, 2003 at 9:51 AM Post #12 of 23
At the price of the Leatherhead, and with them being a highly limited edition, it would seem that you are primarily paying for the appearance and collectability of the headphones rather than for their actual performance value.

Nov 10, 2003 at 10:29 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
At the price of the Leatherhead, and with them being a highly limited edition, it would seem that you are primarily paying for the appearance and collectability of the headphones rather than for their actual performance value.

for a moment there, I thought you were talking about the R10's

Nov 10, 2003 at 11:05 AM Post #14 of 23
musicafanatic,
I didn't realize I create a another thread on the L3000. I think the 2500 dollars is too over priced. I hope that the AT fix the midrange colorization on their headphones.

Purk

Nov 10, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by KShaft
thats strange tomcat.

I had the r10s and w100s at the same time and had em plugged into my cary. I thought the r10s were much more musical. They were a bit more detailed, but were warmer and sweeter with tighter and stronger bass performance. The soundstange and ambience is of course unmatched.

Im startin to think my w100s were bad, or perhaps they had that magnetism problem. They sounded closed in, nasaly, and colorless.

k.s.

KShaft,

When I visited Nik in Italy to listen to his Angstrom/R10 combo, I fully expected to be blown away by its sweet and seductive musicality. But as it turned out, I prefered my EMP/W100 combo. This is the thread with my impressions: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=45290

To my ears, the W100 was clearly warmer, sweeter and smoother than the R10, but certainly not as detailed. I suspect that break-in plays an extremely important role for all wooden headphones. For the first 50 hours or so, I simply hated the harshness of the W100, the lack of bass extension, the fatiguing sound. By 100 hours, this had changed, and the W100 really came into its own after 300 to 400 hours of break-in and use. I now believe that break-in may never stop, and that it is possible that subtle changes and improvements continue indefinitely. This might be one explanation why you had different impressions (actually, the opposite of mine) when you compared the tonal balance of the W100 and the R10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back