Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Jan 7, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #136 of 1,104
How can I convince myself to fork out the cash for the IM70? Hmm... 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #138 of 1,104
What about the 50's?

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #140 of 1,104
I'll write my thoughts once I get my IM50s maybe tomorrow? They are still at the post office.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #142 of 1,104
  Just go for it. I haven't regretted my purchase for the 70's yet. They're really good.

Same here, i bought the 50's just to try them out, but probably end up saved somewere...  They were cheap enough that didn't hurt my wallet that much...

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #143 of 1,104
  How can I convince myself to fork out the cash for the IM70? Hmm... 
rolleyes.gif

Just do it. Its cheap enough (relatively) that it won't hurt too much. And its definitely well worth the cash - perhaps more. My lunatic ravings convinced a friend to try it out. He wasn't in the market for (yet) another pair of IEMs. He tried em. Made a generally impolite remark on how good they sounded. Bought them on the spot. 

I'm no ATH fanboy, but man, these IEMs really do sound great, for the money.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #144 of 1,104
So how does the IM70 (and perhaps the CKS1000 if someone has heard it) sound compare to the Westone 3? I sold my W3 but now i kinda miss it. I really ike the sound of the W3: the fun-sounding, the crazy yet awesome bass,... but i have to sold it because the treble is just too sharp for my taste.

I listen to all kind of music, but most of them are EDM, Pop and Latin music. I'm a basshead but i don't like dark-sounding or reccessed mid iem (if the mid is reccessed but just a little bit and still clear and bright like Westone 3 then it's fine). I like bass, but not the type of bass like the IE80 (i like Westone 3 bass, fast and punchy, both in quantity/ quality, not only on the quantity). More over i like colorful and foward mid, the treble just need to be right, as long as it's still ok to listen. Oh and i don't use any amp or DAC. I just plug-n-play directly from my Touch 5.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #145 of 1,104
So how does the IM70 (and perhaps the CKS1000 if someone has heard it) sound compare to the Westone 3? I sold my W3 but now i kinda miss it. I really ike the sound of the W3: the fun-sounding, the crazy yet awesome bass,... but i have to sold it because the treble is just too sharp for my taste.

I listen to all kind of music, but most of them are EDM, Pop and Latin music. I'm a basshead but i don't like dark-sounding or reccessed mid iem (if the mid is reccessed but just a little bit and still clear and bright like Westone 3 then it's fine). I like bass, but not the type of bass like the IE80 (i like Westone 3 bass, fast and punchy, both in quantity/ quality, not only on the quantity). More over i like colorful and foward mid, the treble just need to be right, as long as it's still ok to listen. Oh and i don't use any amp or DAC. I just plug-n-play directly from my Touch 5.

Never heard the W3, but the way  you described the bass and mids you like (and highs), I think the IM70 would fit the sound signature you prefer.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #147 of 1,104
I agree with everyone else. Sounds like they would be right up your alley. Plus you get that truly natural sound and timbre you can only get from dynamics.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #149 of 1,104
You haven't heard them...

Who me? I know what dynamic driver IEM's sound like as a general rule. I don't need to hear the 70 to know a dynamic delivers great timbre and lively bass. The vast majority do, unless tuned differently ( i.e. HiFiMan). So based on the description of others, coupled with his description of his preferred sound sig, and my experience, I concur. He should enjoy this particular dual dynamic driver IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back