Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Vs UE triplefi 10 pro
Feb 11, 2011 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

maddox6912

New Head-Fier
Ok how does the sound quality compare.
I mainly listen to acoustic, jazz, instrumental, jack johnson, norah jones, kind of stuff
just from the sound quality perspective which one would you recommend?

I want to use these in the train and while in uni. the UEs  are a clear win interms of portability but if the sound quality of the audiotechnicas are much better im willing to go with them. So from this viewpoint which one should i go for?

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 11
They are of two different leagues.  ESW9 blows alway TF10 to shame.  Reason being is its an over the ear headphone with great isolation and very detailed sound.  I have yet to find an IEM that can acheive sound of an over the ear headphones.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 11
You thought wrong, and I can safely assume you dont own quality cans based on your previous beliefs.  Or, have not experienced how limited IEMs can be.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 11
I disagree--great IEMs can challenge great cans for pure SQ.  The problem is that IEMs can't give you that visceral feeling of sound hitting your ears.  My Er4s's can bring tears to your eyes with its delicate rendition of female vocals, but it won't shake your brains on Gnarls Barkley.  I recently got ESW9s because I miss that visceral impact from music.  In all truth, they're probably less detailed than IEMs in the same price range and don't isolate as much, but music is often much more than just pure SQ.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 11
well ive owned a pair of grado sr80 s and a pair of etymotic er4p phones.
The grado has more "Presence" and flavour if you will.

my other concern is im buying the audiotechnicas off ebay. people are selling them for like 180.
im not sure if they are knockoffs or the real thing.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 11

Yeesh, just get them from Beach Camera for $200.  Peace of mind and non-fakes are worth such a small premium.

I think you'll agree that the Etys were technically better as a hifi device--better detail, better highs, soundstage, bass quality, etc., but the fact that they're IEMs limits their enjoyability.

And yes, they will be perfect for your type of music.

Quote:
well ive owned a pair of grado sr80 s and a pair of etymotic er4p phones.
The grado has more "Presence" and flavour if you will.

my other concern is im buying the audiotechnicas off ebay. people are selling them for like 180.
im not sure if they are knockoffs or the real thing.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 11
Or you can search the For Sale section here on the forum, there are several for sale.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 11
I have the ESW9's, and they isolate fairly well, but nowhere near IEM levels of isolation.  They also are hardly what I would call "detailed" and clean...they DO sound great, but they are more warm and midrangey than anything.  They present acoustic music, strings, and vocals beautifully, have an awesome soundstage (a little forward and intimate), and are very engaging, but sound a little "slow", so for things like metal or techno they are not as good. They excel at comfort though, are beautifully made, and are just gorgeous.  For your tastes in music, they'd be stellar performers...

BUT

If you are looking for a good commute phone, I would go with the IEMs though.  They'll isolate better, are more portable, and are going to be less prone to being damaged.  I can't speak for the UE's, but IEMs in general will be more revealing, isolate better, and allow you to be more drawn into your music.  I really enjoy my SM3's for most types of music, and they sound great with the stuff you listed, and are great all-rounders.  Don't know if they fit your budget or not, but...

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 11
It sounds like you have experience with IEMs vs cans, so go with what works best for you.  I have to admit I'm mostly done with IEMs and earbuds except when extreme portability and convenience are required.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back