Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Mar 22, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #586 of 787
I love the feel of the lambskin leather earpads on these. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #587 of 787

Not sure, maybe some of the DT1350 or Senn HD series pads? I'm not going to make the fit tighter by bending the headband... it looks super flimsy and I've got a big noggin to begin with.

The headband's backbone is steel, so it will work.  I bent mine.
Just don't put pressure on the hinge joints, you bend it while holding the plastic pieces that have the headband's leather going into it.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #589 of 787
Anyone knows if AT is planning a follow-up to these? Love the ESW9, love the ESW11 when I heard them but it's been a while now and *hopefully* there's something in the pipeline

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #590 of 787
  After delaying for a year, I'm sending my ESW9A off today to get recabled with Silver Dragon IEM cable...hopefully any changes are small improvements as I'm relatively happy with the sound signature as is...but a little boost in detail wouldn't hurt.

Hi Wolfen,

Let us know how they sound when you get them back!

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #591 of 787
  Anyone knows if AT is planning a follow-up to these? Love the ESW9, love the ESW11 when I heard them but it's been a while now and *hopefully* there's something in the pipeline

I hope so to—another special edition type with nice wood cups would be great. I missed out on the ESW10s and the ESW11s since I discovered the ESW9s late last year. I know the 11s are available on Audio Cubes for $699, but I'm waiting for AT to do something really special ...

I noticed recently Amazon has the 9s for $189 shipped. One of the great portable audio bargains ever!

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #593 of 787
I'm still amazed how well these sound out of my phone. It's almost like having a tube amp in the chain.

Considering not needing an external amp/dac they're very convenient and for the price it's magnificent.

yes, a classic sounding tube amp with a rich and creamy texture. Good observation. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #594 of 787
Just bought these this morning and waiting for them to arrive. I plan on carrying them in my backpack and using them with my laptop. I sold my previous portable can, the German Maestro 8.35, due to their high clamping pressure. They were super tough though.

Has anyone have any issues with the ATH-ESW9's durability?

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #595 of 787
Just bought these this morning and waiting for them to arrive. I plan on carrying them in my backpack and using them with my laptop. I sold my previous portable can, the German Maestro 8.35, due to their high clamping pressure. They were super tough though.

Hi Jason,

Although there is a lot of reportage about the hinges being easily broken, I have not had this experience. I would suggest when twisting the ESW9 cups in order to position them on your head, do so gently with both hands. I've done many miles of hiking with these on with no issues.

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #596 of 787

The plastic issues have been dealt with by ATH, unless you get the very first batches (pre-2011 IIRC) you're fine. If you bang your back pack around a lot I would recommend getting a hard case for your new HPs.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #597 of 787

The plastic issues have been dealt with by ATH, unless you get the very first batches (pre-2011 IIRC) you're fine. If you bang your back pack around a lot I would recommend getting a hard case for your new HPs.

I haven't had any problems with the joints on my ESW9A (knock on wood earcups), but out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by "The plastic issues have been dealt with"? Did AT change the type of plastic they use? Or did they change the design of joint piece?

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #598 of 787
  I haven't had any problems with the joints on my ESW9A (knock on wood earcups), but out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by "The plastic issues have been dealt with"? Did AT change the type of plastic they use? Or did they change the design of joint piece?

I've read on the threads (I think it's much earlier on this one) that when people had breakage on their plastic from adjusting the headband via the cups, after receiving it back from ATH there was a note or sticker saying parts were replaced with newer 2011 pieces or something rather. I forget where I read it (it's here on Head-Fi IIRC) but it wasn't that long ago when I was reading up on the HP.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #599 of 787

Hi Jason,

Although there is a lot of reportage about the hinges being easily broken, I have not had this experience. I would suggest when twisting the ESW9 cups in order to position them on your head, do so gently with both hands. I've done many miles of hiking with these on with no issues.

I would still do this when positioning the cups.  They do have resistance when twisting the ear cups and plastic are...well plastic.  I do believe if you treat them with care they shouldn't give any problems.  I own two sets before, one back in 2010 and the current one more recently in 2013.  To me base on memory, they look the same/built the same and I had no trouble with both.  I say buy a hard case for ease of mind.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #600 of 787
The AT-HPP5N from audiocubes.com seems like the best case for it although the price is a little high at $55 with shipping. I might wait and see if the headphones really need it when they arrive. I can't imagine it being that bad as quite a few of the AT headphones use the same design. I do try to take good care of my headphones though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back