Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
May 6, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #76 of 787
Just got my ATH-ESW9's today. All I can say is that they are even better than I expected. As many people have said the sound is really "warm", but I quite like. I don't other on-ears to compare it with but they are way better than my A700's even though they are half the size. I've also read some reviews saying the they aren't "quick" enough for electro etc although I've found this not to be the case. They do all genre's very well and I find their warm sound especially well suited to indie music such as Oh Mercy's new album. The only thing I find lacking is soundstage and a bit of detail in some classical music but I guess this should be expected since I listen to D5000's when at home.  These phones's really aren't meant to be thrown around (wood and fairly thin plastic) but the build quality seems OK. I will give a more detailed review once they have 50+ hours on them.

May 6, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #77 of 787
Yeah I baby my ESW9's. Still have the dorky plastic that they shipped with stuck on the wood and cut around it. Im actually going to be putting an invisible shield over the wood in the coming weeks, something that's less obtrusive and will still let you admire the wood. That, and I also have the hard style case that AT put out for this form factor- the HPP5.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #81 of 787
There is some authorized dealer has the ESW9 for $224.00 and some has them for $340.00. Maybe due to the ESW9 vs. ESW9A. What's up with the A ?

Please pardon for my laziness but I do not feel like Google search today.

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #82 of 787
A has a slightly tapered plug for iPhone compatibility.

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #83 of 787
I've had my ESW9A's for a year & three months now (purchased from Beach Camera via Amazon storefront, I believe).  These little guys still deliver for me.  Very enjoyable to use & great for when I don't want IEMs sticking in my ears!!

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #84 of 787
I believe A is just for the America version.  Originally, when they were first released you could only get them in Japan.  I had to get mine from pricejapan.com   - they have no A of course.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #85 of 787

Quote:
I've had my ESW9A's for a year & three months now (purchased from Beach Camera via Amazon storefront, I believe).  These little guys still deliver for me.  Very enjoyable to use & great for when I don't want IEMs sticking in my ears!!

So Beach Camera sells legitimate ESW9A's? Amazon has them at $219 from Beach Camera right now and I'm either considering buying these or the HFI-580's ($100 cheaper).

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #86 of 787
Buydig has it for $209 shipped.  Buydig belongs to Beach Camera, it seems, or vice versa.  Look at the About Us page in both websites.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #87 of 787

Quote:
Buydig has it for $209 shipped.  Buydig belongs to Beach Camera, it seems, or vice versa.  Look at the About Us page in both websites.

They have similar formatted websites and I just Googled them to find out they [appear to be] similar based on buyers' experiences.

Being the ESW9 appreciation thread, how fragile are these headphones? I have read numerous people's experiences with their dreaded swivel hinge...maybe these headphones aren't meant for being worn out and about?

I just discovered today that my Skullcandy Hesh phones, which quite frankly aren't well built in the first place, broke at the base of the adjustable headband where its weakest point is.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #88 of 787
For returns, in both websites, they give you the exact same address, for example.

I had mine for less than a year and always stored it in an HPP5 case when I wasn't using it, unless I was outside, then I'd just wear them around my neck when not listening to music.  They don't seem as durable as HD25, but I think they will last very long if you care for them properly.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #89 of 787

Quote:
For returns, in both websites, they give you the exact same address, for example.

I had mine for less than a year and always stored it in an HPP5 case when I wasn't using it, unless I was outside, then I'd just wear them around my neck when not listening to music.  They don't seem as durable as HD25, but I think they will last very long if you care for them properly.

Mhmm I see.

Do you think they would tend to break just from normal use? The Skullcandy's I have probably weren't meant for fatter heads since they kind of bulge outward when I have them on my head (which is probably why the headband broke).

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #90 of 787
I really doubt it, but I do not feel confident in my opinion as I no longer have an ESW9 and did not own it for a year or more with frequent use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back