Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 or Sony MDR-V6?
Jan 31, 2010 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

g0rillaz0e

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here, and I was seeing if a casual listener who appreciates great sound like me could get some audiophile advice.

I recently bought Sony MDR-V700DJ's, and I am highly disappointed in them. They sound like my $20 Sony IEM's, which sound good, but not nearly as good as I needed for the price tag. I even burned them in quite thoroughly, using IsoTek's burn-in disc and some burn-in wave files. There was noticeable improvement, though still no good.

So I plan on returning them and buying something else. I have narrowed my choices down to two options: Audio-Technica's ES7 and Sony's V6.

I've read almost nothing but good things about the ES7's, especially from this forum. The same can also be said about the Sony's, but with a little more criticism. So I need some help on choosing the right pair of cans.

To help you out, I listen to mostly Hip-Hop, with some Pop, Rock, Alternative, and Jazz mixed in. I like a good amount of tight, kicking, good-sounding bass, without it overpowering and bloated (one reason I was not satisfied with the V700's). I want to hear it and somewhat feel it at the same time. The highs and mids should also be nice and smooth, as even though I like a lot of bass, I never disregard the other parts of sound (much unlike other kids my age. screw Dre Beats
wink.gif
) . I also want something well designed, portable, and sturdy, as I'm in high-school and need something that won't die while in my backpack. Oh, and the main source will be a third-gen iPod Nano. I also don't plan on using an amp for portability's sake.

Thanks! I'm very excited to be part of this community, even though it'll hurt my wallet.
k701smile.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 14
V6

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 14
The ES7 will do better without an amp.

It's been a long time since I owned the V6 (and I heard one again last year only briefly) but I'd describe the difference between the ES7 and V6 as near-opposites. The ES7 has a full mid-range with relatively strong mid-bass impact while the V6 is generally v-shaped (mid-range quantity being less than both bass and treble) and may sound quite recessed in comparison. I would also guess that the V6 might have a tighter, more controlled bass than the ES7 - not that the ES7 has flabby bass or anything though. The V6 might also have a lower bass extension though I might be wrong on that.

As far as durability, that easily goes to the V6. The ES7 isn't very tough and you wouldn't want to ding the reflective sides of the earcups either.

If there's a Guitar Center in your area you might be able to audition the V6 there (or alternately the 7506 which is the same headphone).

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 14
I never heard the V6 but ES7s gives that umph you need for a good portable headphones that can get your mood going. V6 as i read is more analytical so definataly not something I want on the go. I need something that gets my heart racing.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 14
Hey guys, thanks alot for the input.
I'm leaning towards the ES7, mainly because I want something for every-day use. But my decision could still go either way as the V6 is a very solid headphone.

Btw, how is the isolation on the ES7's? Will it piss off the people around me? Will it block out a good amount of noise?

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by g0rillaz0e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, thanks alot for the input.
I'm leaning towards the ES7, mainly because I want something for every-day use. But my decision could still go either way as the V6 is a very solid headphone.

Btw, how is the isolation on the ES7's? Will it piss off the people around me? Will it block out a good amount of noise?

It leaks little to no sound.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It leaks little to no sound.

I agree, the ES7 doesn't leak sound out.

On the other hand, it's not very effective at isolating outside sounds. You'll still hear the phone ring.

I like the ES7 a lot. I disagree with the post above that it isn't tough, with the exception of the cable. The ES7 cable is no better or worse than any other real portable headphone or IEM cable (which means its not what you'd call robust). But the V6 on the other hand has a 'fullsize headphone' cable, so it's very durable. (It's also thick, long, and heavy in comparison.) But the ES7 headphone itself is very tough. The headband is two steel rods wrapped in thick rubber. The mirror polished stainless covers on the cups have a few scratches on mine, but I don't really worry myself to be overly careful with them. If I were careful, there'd be no scratches. (Does that make sense? > In other words, if you care about keeping them cosmetically perfect, it's not hard to do. If you don't care, they still won't look bad even after a few years.)

If you want the ES7, better snag it. It's still available all over the place, but according to bhphotovideo.com, it has been discontinued.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 14
Yeah...the ES7 are great out of an iPod, and are portable.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 14
The ES7's are currently $75 + free shipping on amazon.com
Better believe these are the final choice.
wink.gif

Thanks again for the help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 14
Lol. It's funny you're comparing these two phones. And I can't agree more with the 3rd poster. The V6 has a smile type sound. Bassy and prominent highs. I found a new pair of V6's in the Oakland flee market for fifteen dollars, the only downside was that it didn't have a box and they were dusty but you could tell no one had even tried them on. Long story short. I hate them. The cable is way too heavy for portable use. It is a studio headphone. The sound is underwhelming with an iPod. only way I got decent sound out of them was with a receiver. The leatherette foam is weak and cheap looking, the same material used in those 20 dollar over-the-head phones Sony sells at most stores. I ended up selling them for 45 dollars on craigslist 2 years ago. And made more than my money back. (FIY, I never got to break them in properly because I just hated the way they made highs sounds, and sold them) Anyway, get the es7. I just purchased them from some guy on craigslist for 50 dollars, they were in mind condition.
They also seem sturdier. Although I wish the cable was thicker and of different material, like the material ipod headphones have. Also, I forgot if V6s were over the ear or not. I think they were. The es7 hoewever don't go around the ear, they overlap it, well I have medium sized ears so they over maybe 80 percent, which means youll still be able to hear the phone or a semi truck coming down the road. Which is good, because after all es7s are portable headphones,

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
The ES7's are currently $75 + free shipping on amazon.com
Better believe these are the final choice.
wink.gif

Thanks again for the help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Make sure it's from Amazon directly, because there's a few third party sellers on Amazon, and they're all not Authorized except Beach Camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back