Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #753 of 1,113
thanks for reply Bill. i didnt know its called SANDpaper in english, so when you wrote you sanded them, i was thinking you used sand on them somehow :)

im still not sure if i should buy them. whats your advice guys? es10 (with lambskin pads) vs es700? What would you choose? Just from sound perspective. No matter cost, look or comfort.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #754 of 1,113
  thanks for reply Bill. i didnt know its called SANDpaper in english, so when you wrote you sanded them, i was thinking you used sand on them somehow :)

im still not sure if i should buy them. whats your advice guys? es10 (with lambskin pads) vs es700? What would you choose? Just from sound perspective. No matter cost, look or comfort.

I've only heard the ES10, but from what people tell me, the ES700 is more neutral and has a newer driver. Supposedly the ES700 is a bit less grainy too BUT the ES10 is more V-shaped or U-shaped. Therefore, if you are into EDM, the ES10 is more of the headphone, if you are into Jazz, Acoustic, etc... I'm guessing the ES700 will be better. Plus the ES700 is much cheaper... Also, I would swap the ES700 pads for ESW9 pads if I got them... However, I'm quite happy with the bigger drivers, resolution, etc... that I get on the ES10s and the isolation is the best I've heard in an AT portable...

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #755 of 1,113
You know... if you don't mind some slight modifications, you can either stretch the ES10 for a looser fit, or you can also disassemble the whole frame and stretch just the metal headband.

Though I must admit, the ESW11 ear pads are also not very comfortable. I think the most comfortable ear pads for the ES10 would be the ESW10LTD ear pads, but they are quite hard to get a hold of these days.

I have an extra set of esw10 pads.
They are like smaller version of esw11 pads, but softer.
These new OEM replacement are very tight to put on my esw9 so I doubt they would fit on es10.
Also they changed the sound to have less(!) Bass :frowning2:
So they are a waste of money to me.
And they are not like the original pads had a tiny but more substantial leather and thicker feel.
Yet they are real stock replacements wich sux

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #757 of 1,113
What do you guys think of the A2000X? I know it uses the same drivers as the ES10, and looks simillar. So I am thinking maybe it's a more comfortable circumaural version of the ES10? If so this could be the best can ever :wink: I could always put W3000 pads on it...

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #758 of 1,113
Actually, all high-end Audio Technica headphones use 53mm drivers, and I don't think they are all made equal, so...

Personally, I have heard the A2000X on my trip to Vietnam, and I don't think it's anything like the ES10 at all. The only ATH headphone I have heard that's the closest to the ES10 is the W1000, but the W1000 doesn't have a lot of bass because the enclosure is completely closed, and doesn't allow for any air flow. Limited air flow = bass lacking body or power.

I think that's the reason why you don't feel the same overpowering bass in my ES10. The wooden ear cups are more airtight than the regular titanium ear cups that have openings around the hinge and the cable section.

With that said, I think I know what to do to make the W1000 have more bass, but... I really wouldn't want to risk my really nice pair of W1000.

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #759 of 1,113
It's funny, when i originally got these i thought they were so boomy and bass heavy, or a certain part of the bass spectrum.  Someone else posted that he had returned them because he felt that he was strapping on two subwoofers and there were others who agreed.  Since then they either burned in or my brain burned in because they don't sound so overly bassy anymore. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #760 of 1,113
  It's funny, when i originally got these i thought they were so boomy and bass heavy, or a certain part of the bass spectrum.  Someone else posted that he had returned them because he felt that he was strapping on two subwoofers and there were others who agreed.  Since then they either burned in or my brain burned in because they don't sound so overly bassy anymore. 

For me it's the exact opposite. The more I listen the stronger the bass becomes... My problem is more the high pitched vs. the bass. The ES10s stock are at the very peak of what I consider acceptable brightness and even they can be slightly sibilant with certain songs and certain sources (amps, etc...) I think with a warmer amp they will sound even better!

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #761 of 1,113
I think... over time, it's possible that as you put them on and pull them off, and due to environmental impact (heat, etc...), the ear cups get pressed into the plastic enclosure, or the plastic enclosure expands ever so slightly, and the very small openings are then made even smaller.

When that happens, the inside becomes more airtight, and then bass would be reduced.

That's my $0.02 on the matter.

On the other hand, when bass is not so overpowering, the ES10 does put out very beautiful vocals. I think it even beats the ESW10 cleanly.

In any case, I'll get my ES10 back tomorrow, and then I'll be able to definitively see if they are indeed similar to the W1000. If they truly are similar to the W1000, then most likely, I'll just keep one headphone and sell off the other one.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #762 of 1,113
Are there any ES10 users here in London or Kent ? Id love to compare mine to another pair, at the moment I can't listen to them, esp compared to my DT1350s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #763 of 1,113
Are there any ES10 users here in London or Kent ? Id love to compare mine to another pair, at the moment I can't listen to them, esp compared to my DT1350s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't help now but I used to live in London. I can say that they won't sound much different from each other. Breaking them in would change the sound a little bit, but if they are both ES10s unless they are modded will sound nearly identical. I listened to Bill-P's and those were markedly different but he did loads of mods including making wooden cups, etc... The ES10s beat the DT1350s by a landslide. Besides the bigger drivers and the fact that the list price of the ES10s are double that of the DT1350s (contributing to the fact that they are in another league), the DT1350s sound so much more closed off. When I heard them I thought I was listening to $20 headphones in some ways. The ES10s sound much more open, enveloping, etc... The DT1350s were more muffled and were way more uncomfortable and less isolating from what I can remember. Also the DT1350s are brighter as with most Beyers and have a bit less bass too...

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #764 of 1,113

On the other hand, when bass is not so overpowering, the ES10 does put out very beautiful vocals. I think it even beats the ESW10 cleanly.

The ES10 has very nice vocals, just abit dark imo.
The ESW11LTD has very nice vocals too.

In the portable league, I prefer the ESW11LTD.

But in all, I still like the vocals on my A900XLTD.

And I love all my 3 cans for the different sound.
L3000.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #765 of 1,113

I think... over time, it's possible that as you put them on and pull them off, and due to environmental impact (heat, etc...), the ear cups get pressed into the plastic enclosure, or the plastic enclosure expands ever so slightly, and the very small openings are then made even smaller.

When that happens, the inside becomes more airtight, and then bass would be reduced.

That's my $0.02 on the matter.

In any case, I'll get my ES10 back tomorrow, and then I'll be able to definitively see if they are indeed similar to the W1000. If they truly are similar to the W1000, then most likely, I'll just keep one headphone and sell off the other one.

My ES10s (with the E**11 pads) are stuck in @dallan 's "before" scenario, i.e. subwoofers on my ears.

@Bill-P , tell me more about what I can do to salvage some kind of mid and treble response out of these things!  Alternatively, someone make me a reasonable offer!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back