Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #62 of 1,113
Explain 'awful' on the ES10 more concisely, I won't take offense.

I listened to the T1 at a meet from a weak amplifier and it sounded too different to the T5p.  Several people have said it's too airy or floating (not connected) so I've been happy with the T5p, though I'd like it to be a bit more pure and transparent which it is not.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #64 of 1,113
Quote:

What do you needT5ps for then? If not for portable use, they may be replaced by other headphones that are better.

Soundwise, ES10 does not compare to the sound T5ps provide.

I'd go as far as saying that the ES10 are the best portable over ear headphones that you can get in the up to $400 bracket. If you want to dish out three times that amount for something that you wear outside, be my guest. I can be happy with my pair of Sennheiser PX100 that I bought for 99 SEK a few years ago (around $15) or a pair of $50 earbuds, but the ES10 isolates better and also sounds nicer.

You also have to take diminishing returns to take into account. My ES10 costs twice what my Sennheiser HD 25 1:II cost, however I would not say that they are twice as good. The HD 25 presents the music in a much more forward and focused way. But the feeling of soundstage and a lot of smaller detail is lost compared to the ES10.
My HD 25 costs about 3 times more than my wife's AKG K518LE. When I compare the HD25 and the K518, the HD25 does not sound three times as good. Again, stuff like detail, imaging and resolution is lost, but still you get an overall sound that is enjoyable on the go.

I'm with Kiteki (hej på dej förresten!). The only way I would use a pair of T5p is inside the house. No way that I would expose $1300 to the elements! But for indoors use, there are still better cans...

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #66 of 1,113
Yesterday I was only listening to my Teclast X19+

Today with a real amp and source I am really CONFUSED by how this headphone sounds.

At first I thought how could someone pay 400 euro or usd for something that sounds so cloudy like this?

Now I'm thinking where is this insane efficiency coming from?, the insane detail and layering?  I've never heard something quite like this and finding it difficult to 'concentrate' on the sound at this moment.

Also when you use an equalizer LOL!

boost 60Hz = portable sub-woofer.

boost 6 / 7kHz = ?!!

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #67 of 1,113
Quote:

I'd go as far as saying that the ES10 are the best portable over ear headphones that you can get in the up to $400 bracket. If you want to dish out three times that amount for something that you wear outside, be my guest. I can be happy with my pair of Sennheiser PX100 that I bought for 99 SEK a few years ago (around $15) or a pair of $50 earbuds, but the ES10 isolates better and also sounds nicer.

You also have to take diminishing returns to take into account. My ES10 costs twice what my Sennheiser HD 25 1:II cost, however I would not say that they are twice as good. The HD 25 presents the music in a much more forward and focused way. But the feeling of soundstage and a lot of smaller detail is lost compared to the ES10.
My HD 25 costs about 3 times more than my wife's AKG K518LE. When I compare the HD25 and the K518, the HD25 does not sound three times as good. Again, stuff like detail, imaging and resolution is lost, but still you get an overall sound that is enjoyable on the go.

I'm with Kiteki (hej på dej förresten!). The only way I would use a pair of T5p is inside the house. No way that I would expose $1300 to the elements! But for indoors use, there are still better cans...

If you decide to spend 1300 on PORTABLE cans, what is the point if you do not use them on the go? ES10s are far from the best.

Quote:
Explain 'awful' on the ES10 more concisely, I won't take offense.

I listened to the T1 at a meet from a weak amplifier and it sounded too different to the T5p.  Several people have said it's too airy or floating (not connected) so I've been happy with the T5p, though I'd like it to be a bit more pure and transparent which it is not.

ES10 sounded bassy with very weak detail retrieval, I was not impressed. Having T5ps and using ES10s on the go is pointless IMO. If you buy a pair of portable cans to keep them at home, what is the point of buying them. 

T1s are not as bright as T5ps and provide much better bass response. It definitely does not give you the feel of clarity T5ps do, but at the same time can be used with any kind of music and be pleasurable, T5ps cannot do that.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #68 of 1,113
Originally Posted by kiteki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

insane detail

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

very weak detail

Um...

Are you sure it wasn't a fake?

They are bassy but the bass is more accurate and nicer than the Denon D5000 for example.

As for T5p, what's all this about portable?  That's just the marketing on the box you know.

Plus, the T5p measures flatter than the T1, but I agree with you about clarity and that the T1 is most likely a better all-rounder.  Also I find the T5p very difficult to listen to for long sessions like over an hour since I use fairly high volumes.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #69 of 1,113
I checked around and heard there weren't really fake ones going around, the esw9 had a bunch though.  I haven't heard the T-1 or T5p.  The T-1 is totally scarce at Southern California meets.  In the current thread for the LAX Hilton i asked if anyone could bring one and basically almost no one had heard one, this was the same at the last two meets as well.  The comments on the thread over there now say that i am not missing anything.......... Guess that's why we don't have any around here.

Oh, yes i find the es10 pretty bassy but i acclimated to them and now hear what you are saying about them, layers, very pleasant.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #71 of 1,113
The comments on the thread over there now say that i am not missing anything..........

I just don't care at all, the best equipment usually has love versus hate reactions to it, the T5p is one of them, the Sony EX700 another, the ES10 a third?  My favorites lol.

I remember reading an old quick review on the EX700, she bought it as a gift for her brother for $300, then thought it was so amazing she had to buy one for herself.  Another reviewer said he hated it and put it in a drawer, then after a year listened to it again and it sounded better than everything in his IEM collection like Shure SE535 lol.

If someone says an Audio Technica flagship sounds very very weak and awful, it's very likely a case of giving Caviar to a teenager that only eats french fries and Coke.

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #73 of 1,113
Mmmm... Caviar and coke...

I still think that it's crazy to spend something like $1300 on a headphone that you bring outside. I baby my ES10 as it is. If I had the T5p, I'd probably wear something like this when I go out to protect them:

Jul 7, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #74 of 1,113
Lol yeah.

Anyway by his logic, you should only use JH16 monitors on a stage, while you're performing... custom IEM's at home?  "Having JH16 at home and using CK100pro on the go is pointless" lol.

The JH11 sounds better than the Tesla T1, anyway.  The JH16 has too many drivers.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #75 of 1,113
Quote:
Lol yeah.

Anyway by his logic, you should only use JH16 monitors on a stage, while you're performing... custom IEM's at home?  "Having JH16 at home and using CK100pro on the go is pointless" lol.

The JH11 sounds better than the Tesla T1, anyway.  The JH16 has too many drivers.

Taken out of context and completely not what I said. JH sounding better than T1, buhahahha, good one.  

Quote:

Um...

Are you sure it wasn't a fake?

They are bassy but the bass is more accurate and nicer than the Denon D5000 for example.

As for T5p, what's all this about portable?  That's just the marketing on the box you know.

Plus, the T5p measures flatter than the T1, but I agree with you about clarity and that the T1 is most likely a better all-rounder.  Also I find the T5p very difficult to listen to for long sessions like over an hour since I use fairly high volumes.

Not a fake. I listened to them when I had T5ps at the same time and they were not worth my time. T5p is not good for long sessions because of the brightness and perceived clarity is derived from that brightness.

Quote:
I checked around and heard there weren't really fake ones going around, the esw9 had a bunch though.  I haven't heard the T-1 or T5p.  The T-1 is totally scarce at Southern California meets.  In the current thread for the LAX Hilton i asked if anyone could bring one and basically almost no one had heard one, this was the same at the last two meets as well.  The comments on the thread over there now say that i am not missing anything.......... Guess that's why we don't have any around here.

Oh, yes i find the es10 pretty bassy but i acclimated to them and now hear what you are saying about them, layers, very pleasant.

Yes, that fact that no one has a flagship headphone around you means the headphone is crap :)

Quote:

I just don't care at all, the best equipment usually has love versus hate reactions to it, the T5p is one of them, the Sony EX700 another, the ES10 a third?  My favorites lol.

I remember reading an old quick review on the EX700, she bought it as a gift for her brother for $300, then thought it was so amazing she had to buy one for herself.  Another reviewer said he hated it and put it in a drawer, then after a year listened to it again and it sounded better than everything in his IEM collection like Shure SE535 lol.

If someone says an Audio Technica flagship sounds very very weak and awful, it's very likely a case of giving Caviar to a teenager that only eats french fries and Coke.

Like with everything, tastes.

ES10 is in no way a flagship for AT, check their other headphones.

Regarding caviar; please check my equipment inventory:
Audiophilleo2>Metrum Octave DAC> Woo Audio WA2> T1, Sony SA5000 and JVC DX1000. Not to mention all the gear I had before that.

Quote:
Mmmm... Caviar and coke...

I still think that it's crazy to spend something like $1300 on a headphone that you bring outside. I baby my ES10 as it is. If I had the T5p, I'd probably wear something like this when I go out to protect them:

I used to travel with my T5ps a lot and had no problem with that. When you buy a good smartphone, do you also leave it at home so it does not get scratched?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back