Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Dec 16, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #706 of 1,068
 However, I would say you might like the Um pro 50 better maybe.

So besides bass, what does the UM pro 50 do better? I don't know about the UM pro 50 but UM series are used to have a small soundstage.
I hope I receive my pair of ATH E70 tomorrow. Santa might be a bit earlier this year
wink_face.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #707 of 1,068
Ling Vu - how good deal You got? I got mine sealed for $250 USD.

Have you got it recently? If yes,then I guess we got the same deal, theres a Latvian guy on ebay listed 2 pairs at that price so I think you were the first one who took it. I was watching for several weeks and thinking whether I should grab this deal or not, then someone got the first pair and immediately I got to pull the trigger haha.

Btw, as I can see you got the IM04 and IM03, how do you find the sound of the E70 in comparsion to them?

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #708 of 1,068
ATH-E70: some early impressions + sound signatures opinion.

Just got the E70 for the best deal it would ever be, brand new, sealed and made in Japan. Somehow these fit perfectly to my ears (guess they specifically design for Asian people with smaller ears), completely sealed and isolated (with better comfort than the Shure).

Early impressions regarding sound quality are very, very good. First I tried the stock silicon tips, which are fairly good, balanced with tight bass, slightly warm and very smooth mids and very sharp trebles, sibilant to some extent with a plenty of spikes. Then I switched to the Comply foam tips (included in the box, T-500), the spikes seemed to remarkably decrease but still they are there, I guess this is due to the sound absorbance of the Comply.

Compare to my Sony XBA Z5s, the E70s somewhat have fewer details and punches in sub bass (reasonable as the Z5 is hybrid with a dynamic driver dedicated for the low ends) but surpisingly more revealing in mids and top ends (at a noticeable level). Isolation, obviously with the perfect fit, E70s knock the crap out of the Z5s, night and day.

Although sounding very detailed and balanced, to my ears their sound signature leans towards the warm side with a bit of coloring, not neutral or dry at all, which I believe are necessary characteristics of pro monitors. The Z5 to me a more neutral (most will say they are dark due to the bass heaviness). The flattest and most neutral sound I have listened to are from KEF headphones, speakers (M500 on ear headphones, LS50 speakers, X300A speakers)

Very subjective thread so I hope you guys can share your own opinions on this. 

More than many other IEMs, I find the E70 extremely tip-dependent. I agree that the highs are a little piercing / peaky with the stock silicon ones. The Comply tips are much better and open the soundstage as well, but you lose some bass. I find wide-bore silicon works the best for me overall. Large Spiral Dots give me a good seal and all the sub-bass one could wish for, smooth out the top end, and open things up a bit.

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #709 of 1,068
Yes, from same guy.
IM04 is darkest of bunch, with most bass. E70 is quite brighter. IM03 is most thin sounding. Detail level and other things is about same between all of them.

Have you got it recently? If yes,then I guess we got the same deal, theres a Latvian guy on ebay listed 2 pairs at that price so I think you were the first one who took it. I was watching for several weeks and thinking whether I should grab this deal or not, then someone got the first pair and immediately I got to pull the trigger haha.

Btw, as I can see you got the IM04 and IM03, how do you find the sound of the E70 in comparsion to them?

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #710 of 1,068
More than many other IEMs, I find the E70 extremely tip-dependent. I agree that the highs are a little piercing / peaky with the stock silicon ones. The Comply tips are much better and open the soundstage as well, but you lose some bass. I find wide-bore silicon works the best for me overall. Large Spiral Dots give me a good seal and all the sub-bass one could wish for, smooth out the top end, and open things up a bit.

Couldn't agree more. What size of the comply ones that fit you? I have only the Medium Spiral Dots cause normally I do not have problems with all the M tips but these from JVC seem a bit smaller. Maybe I will have to order the ML.
Yes, from same guy.
IM04 is darkest of bunch, with most bass. E70 is quite brighter. IM03 is most thin sounding. Detail level and other things is about same between all of them.

Got ya mate lol. I was considering between these three for my first pair of Audio Technica IEMs, the reviews drew me towards the E70 and your description is making me very happy. I find everything in the E70 is just right and it is becoming my most favourite pair (eclipsing the Z5 atm, will wait until I can have the PHA 3 with balanced output to have the final judgement). Much appreciated.

The E70 really grows in me as everyone says, guess that's brain burn-in but never had I felt the process this clear. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #711 of 1,068
  Couldn't agree more. What size of the comply ones that fit you? I have only the Medium Spiral Dots cause normally I do not have problems with all the M tips but these from JVC seem a bit smaller. Maybe I will have to order the ML.

Got ya mate lol. I was considering between these three for my first pair of Audio Technica IEMs, the reviews drew me towards the E70 and your description is making me very happy. I find everything in the E70 is just right and it is becoming my most favourite pair (eclipsing the Z5 atm, will wait until I can have the PHA 3 with balanced output to have the final judgement). Much appreciated.

The E70 really grows in me as everyone says, guess that's brain burn-in but never had I felt the process this clear. 

No e70 is the best quality wise in every way mids, bass, treble.  It becomes more evident with the right quality source.  The bass on the e70 is super accurate and ver high quality.  E70 is extremely source dependent..  

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #712 of 1,068
  No e70 is the best quality wise in every way mids, bass, treble.  It becomes more evident with the right quality source.  The bass on the e70 is super accurate and ver high quality.  E70 is extremely source dependent..  

I will try to try as many as I can and really expect your statement to turn out right. After some time, how does the E70 compare to your UM Pro 50 atm?

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #713 of 1,068

I will try to try as many as I can and really expect your statement to turn out right. After some time, how does the E70 compare to your UM Pro 50 atm?

Um pro 50 mids alot clearer.  Plus i got a occ cable.

Um pro 50 is an upgrade and it fits way better.  Westone is said to be the most comfortable iems and i agree.  That does so much for the quality of the sound.  It's also healthy for your ears because you dont have to turn it up so high but it sounds way louder even at lower volumes.  e70 too much leakage and too uncomfortable in comparison.  

E70 has some of the best bass for iem but bass on um is good to.  Really quick, accurate and deep.

pro 50 more forgiving than e70 as well.  This could be considered good our bad, but i like it.

In conclusion, since i got my pro 50, my e70 has been getting a ton of rest.....  It's in the same box as my ckr10 and my other just in case something breaks iems...

EDIT:  You could by them from somewhere like Amazon with 30 day return.  If you don't like it them get your money back.  Thats what i always do.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #714 of 1,068
 Um pro 50 is an upgrade and it fits way better.  Westone is said to be the most comfortable iems and i agree.  That does so much for the quality of the sound.  It's also healthy for your ears because you dont have to turn it up so high but it sounds way louder even at lower volumes.  e70 too much leakage and too uncomfortable in comparison.  

What about the soundstage of these two?

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #718 of 1,068
E40 is match very well with Hifiman Super Mini, the breathness of it really attractive,

it sound bump up around upper mid and low treble but sound very smooth and natural to my ear, almost flat compared to IM70.

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #719 of 1,068
E40 is match very well with Hifiman Super Mini, the breathness of it really attractive,

it sound bump up around upper mid and low treble but sound very smooth and natural to my ear, almost flat compared to IM70.

Thanks - The nozzle length is same as IM70 ? Or Short ? - As I own IM70 and I don't have any problem with the fittings can wear for hours.

Also what I like to know, As IM70 build for EDM and it really excels that segment - No Complain, but this E40's sound signature is the same ? I'm looking for different IEM which can handle Acoustic / Instrumental / Jazz / Classic - Vocal Genre.  

Can ATH E40 do that ? 

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #720 of 1,068
Thanks - The nozzle length is same as IM70 ? Or Short ? - As I own IM70 and I don't have any problem with the fittings can wear for hours.

Also what I like to know, As IM70 build for EDM and it really excels that segment - No Complain, but this E40's sound signature is the same ? I'm looking for different IEM which can handle Acoustic / Instrumental / Jazz / Classic - Vocal Genre.  

Can ATH E40 do that ? 

E40 nozzle are much longer dude, still no prob for me,

Also I think e40 are great all-rounder and can really cover up all gerne you mention much better than im70, cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back