Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Feb 21, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #46 of 1,068
Heard all three at Canjam. Here are some short impressions from the brief amount of time I had with them.

E40: Very nice! It has 90% of the CKR9LTD sound. Lively, punchy and dynamic. Very forward vocals, perhaps too close for comfort on some tracks. Bass is one of the best I've heard in this price range, almost exactly like CKR9LTD bass. For the price it's a superb value. Impressed!

E50: Quite neutral sounding, but nothing noteworthy about it. Sounds veiled in comparison to E70.

E70: Very flat tuning with a nice amount of sparkle in the highs. Somewhat reminiscent of the XBA-300. Resolution and detail are pretty good. Not nearly as fun or musical as the IM03, probably suited for monitoring only.

Does the E70 in your opinion, have a higher bass quantity compared to the IM03?

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #48 of 1,068
Nope, the E70 have lesser quantity compared to the IM03. It is a very neutral and flat IEM for monitoring purposes, so the bass is just at the right quantity, in line with the mids and highs.

I hope it sounds similar to the r70x then
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #50 of 1,068

I hope it sounds similar to the r70x then
biggrin.gif

Not really, the R70X is more warm-ish in its tonality, while the E70 is pretty much spot-on neutral in its tonality (neither warm nor cold). I also find the R70X to have more bass quantity than the E70, as well as being more organic and natural sounding overall. So no, it is not similar to R70X. (Though I would really like a R70X in IEM form as well, the E70 isn't it) 
redface.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #51 of 1,068
Not really, the R70X is more warm-ish in its tonality, while the E70 is pretty much spot-on neutral in its tonality (neither warm nor cold). I also find the R70X to have more bass quantity than the E70, as well as being more organic and natural sounding overall. So no, it is not similar to R70X. (Though I would really like a R70X in IEM form as well, the E70 isn't it) :xf_eek:

I see. Darn...thks for the update amd info bro.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #52 of 1,068
Heard all three at Canjam. Here are some short impressions from the brief amount of time I had with them.

E40: Very nice! It has 90% of the CKR9LTD sound. Lively, punchy and dynamic. Very forward vocals, perhaps too close for comfort on some tracks. Bass is one of the best I've heard in this price range, almost exactly like CKR9LTD bass. For the price it's a superb value. Impressed!

E50: Quite neutral sounding, but nothing noteworthy about it. Sounds veiled in comparison to E70.

E70: Very flat tuning with a nice amount of sparkle in the highs. Somewhat reminiscent of the XBA-300. Resolution and detail are pretty good. Not nearly as fun or musical as the IM03, probably suited for monitoring only.

Wow they sound impressive for the price!

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #53 of 1,068
Sounds good! I bet that cable helps the E70 be more neutral and resolving. Wonder what the other two would sound like with it.

Shame it is looking like they are not going to make the March availability here in the U.S. Early April it seems.

I had that exact thought cross my mind. If the E70 is tuned the way I thought it would be like the XBA300. Not sure it would be worth the price jump. $229.99 on Accessory jack vs. $399.

The E50 doesn't have the better cable and sounds veiled and is damn pricey for a single armature. Like the IM01, another one that a majority of those who are "in the know" will skip since it just doesn't have much to offer. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #54 of 1,068

How sensitive are they? I like my im02 but wouldn't mind a less-sensitive audio technica iem without carrying an amp around all the time. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #56 of 1,068

How does E40 compare to IM70? Is its overall sound quality above IM70? Thanks!

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #57 of 1,068
XBA-300 sounded pretty good to me but had a weird timbre or something that put me off, hope the ES70 is a little closer to the IM02 in that regard. $399 is a little steep for it to be a 'what the heck I'll try it out' deal for me too, unfortunately.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #58 of 1,068
How does E40 compare to IM70? Is its overall sound quality above IM70? Thanks!

IMO the E40 is a big step above IM70. Tighter and punchier bass, more forward and clearer mids, and a more present treble. No contest. The E40 is really close to the level of CKR9LTD/10 to me, and it's amazing how they achieved that for half the price of the CKR's.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #59 of 1,068
XBA-300 sounded pretty good to me but had a weird timbre or something that put me off, hope the ES70 is a little closer to the IM02 in that regard. $399 is a little steep for it to be a 'what the heck I'll try it out' deal for me too, unfortunately.

You're in luck, as the E70 did not have the weird timbre of the XBA300. Only their frequency balance are similar. I find the IM02 to be a different beast, sounding much more forward and aggressive than the E70.

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #60 of 1,068
IMO the E40 is a big step above IM70. Tighter and punchier bass, more forward and clearer mids, and a more present treble. No contest. The E40 is really close to the level of CKR9LTD/10 to me, and it's amazing how they achieved that for half the price of the CKR's.

Thanks lalala6. Going to Tokyo in April and I can't wait to grab this E40!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back