Audio-Technica ATH-CM7ti?
Dec 13, 2010 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SplashArtist

Head-Fier
Hey I just won these for 30 bucks (55 inc shipping) and from the picture below they look like cm7ti but the description says cm700ti, which one is it based on the pictures? Is it a good deal? and the guy said these dont come with the foam tips that you cover the bud with, are they supposed to have them with it?

heres the link http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160515268770&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Dec 13, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 8
So you are the guy who won that auction? I was watching it, but the high cost of shipping prevented me from bidding.

I recently bought a used pair of ATH CM700TI on Yahoo auction here in Japan, and they do not look like the ones in the Ebay link. It looks like a J-cord, where the cord on one of the earpieces is longer. Also the connector is different from mine, the one on the picture has got a metal connector. I have got a Y-cord and my connector is made from plastic (and very small). I still think that $55 is a pretty good deal, even if it is an older model.

I think that the CM7TI are supposed to come with foam covers. But you can probably buy them in any electronics shop. Of course the thickness might be different from the original. On my CM700TI, I have put a donut shaped foam cover besides the silicone ring and wire mesh. The donut cover (foam cover with a hole in the middle) gives you treble and adds some bass, so for me it sounds perfect now. I used a set that came with my pair of Yuin PK3, but you can easily make them by cutting a round hole in a pair of foam covers.

Take good care of the CM7TI's and I am sure that they will give you a lot of musical enjoyment. The former owner of my pair did not take very good care of them and they were very dirty from earwax and stuff. It is amazing that the former owner did not break them.
I have cleaned them carefully and now they look like new. They also sound great.

Dec 13, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:

it is very likely fake, sorry :/

I think that it probably is a pair of CM7TI, the model released before the CM700TI. If you google ATH CM7TI and compare the pictures to those of CM700TI, you will notice that the CM7TI looks like the one in the Ebay pictures. I have seen fakes of CM700TI, and they do not look like that.

It seems that most fakes miss the holes in the back of the earpiece.

Here's a pair of CM7TI. Note the metal connector. Also the hole on the back.

Here's the CM700TI. Note the small plastic connector.

Here's a thread from Head-fi about a guy who bought a fake pair of CM700. They are quite well made, but the fakers missed details such as the holes (all CM 7/700 models have them), and also the "sticks" are symmetrically placed on the speaker part. On the CM700(TI), they are slightly asymmetrical (difficult to see on the picture above). On the CM7, they are very asymmetrical.

If your pair of CM7TI is fake is another story, however. If they have the holes, are asymmetrical and sound good, it should be the real deal.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:

Quote:

it is very likely fake, sorry :/

I think that it probably is a pair of CM7TI, the model released before the CM700TI. If you google ATH CM7TI and compare the pictures to those of CM700TI, you will notice that the CM7TI looks like the one in the Ebay pictures. I have seen fakes of CM700TI, and they do not look like that.

It seems that most fakes miss the holes in the back of the earpiece.

Yea you might be right about that.
However, I am not trying to be an ass or anything with my statement above, it's just that in my search for the CM700ti I came across a lot of fakes..

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 8
I figured they were the CM7ti and the guy just didnt know which one it was (he threw away the box) plus his story sounded decent so idk we will see when i get them!

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 8
@ Jonasklam - Well, there are a lot of faked Audio Technica ear- and headphones, so your assumption was not completely off. ATH seems to be a favorite of Chinese fakers...

@ SplashArtist

If they sound good, they are the real deal. And as I wrote - I have only heard of faked CM700TI, not CM7TI...

To keep the earbuds in a good state when not using them, I recommend you to buy a semi hard earbud case. There are cheap ones on Ebay. Here are two examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hard-Case-shuffle-3rd-4G-Headphone-Earbuds-SD-Card-/150448687835?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item230770cadb

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Case-Headphones-Pionneer-KOSS-AKG-Earbuds-/260705483228?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3cb341f9dc

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 8

@ Jonasklam - Well, there are a lot of faked Audio Technica ear- and headphones, so your assumption was not completely off. ATH seems to be a favorite of Chinese fakers...

@ SplashArtist

If they sound good, they are the real deal. And as I wrote - I have only heard of faked CM700TI, not CM7TI...

Yea, I thought that OP had purchased cm700 soo my bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back