Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Mar 10, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #601 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by CENTRAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS. I really wonder how can you fit the olives to the CK10... the stem is just too fat...
???

I de-cored them and replaced the core with some fitting silicon stems.

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #603 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats Joe, this is the most level-headed assessment of the CK10 bass issue (if you excuse the term) that I've read to date. As for me, I've not found the bass others are talking about, but as you know from my PMs, those triflanges don't fit me. I even bought some Ety Gliders to no success, the closest I've come to acceptable bass was with large Olives. So, in my view I've not been content with complaining about the stock tips, I've gone to great lengths experimenting with aftermarket tips and at the end of the day I'm taking the liberty of calling them "bass light" - of course IMO.

Concerning the RE0/RE252/CK10, thanks to dfkt I've had the opportunity to hear them all, and I believe you may well be a BA lover after all. Needless to say I catch myself prefering DD more often, and out of these three I'd probably keep the RE252 - and castrate those gummi bears, if they were mine.
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks! And while I have no problem with the CK10, I do find the CK90Pro (after modding) is more to my liking and easier to fit as well as very comfortable. I just have to play with the foam in the nozzle to get my perfect balance.

I have no issues with you calling them bass light, if that is what you hear and you don't state it as a fact, but your opinion. Some IEMs, no matter what you do are bass light, but not the CK10 IMO
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW, what triple flanges do you have? Have you tried cutting them down to bi-flange (I am sure you have tried an extensive array of tips, but I know the bass is hiding there somewhere)?

And while I do like the 252 a lot, I thought the RE0 was just too far behind in bass and soundstage to warrant praise with me (kinda like the UM3X). And yes, the 252 needs castration lol

And while I am a "BA lover," that doesn't mean I prefer them over dynamics, as I enjoy having a rotation of IE8, Copper, 252, CK10, CK90Pro, and soon e-Q7 if/when I figure out the fit thing.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #604 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just stretch the Shure Olives without de-coring them. Works really easy.

Here is a thread I made that shows an easy method:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...g-pics-473485/

This is some great advice!

Thanx!!!
darthsmile.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #606 of 1,585
@CENTRAL: Tips that fit the CK10:

-Shure/Etymotic/Monster Triple flanges (seems to yield the best sound; stem needs to be trimmed for Shure) Some members have also cut the smallest flange off.

-Sony Hybrids (highly recommended)
-ER-CK100 Foam Tips (very expensive; better than De-cored Olives IMO)
-Klipsch gel tips (bi and single)
-De-cored Shure Olives
-SoundMagic Foam (worse than stock IMO, YMMV)

Have not tried but other members have:
-Atrio Bi-Flanges (used by dfkt)
-james444 stuffed two tips together if I remember correctly?
-Comply Foams

I wrote a short comparison on tips here and average_joe also made a tip guide (check under his signature). I am sure that there are more options out there that has not been listed.

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #607 of 1,585
i use triple flange from shure with the stem trimmed. someone else uses the same but the the top flange cut off. i think thats pretty much the list of all who use these iem's.

@AwakenedBeing: also just curious but it was you that got these remolded at UM right? how did it turn out..i believe it was a while ago that was mentioned

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #608 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@AwakenedBeing: also just curious but it was you that got these remolded at UM right? how did it turn out..i believe it was a while ago that was mentioned

I believe it was ThrashingShrimp who sent them to remolded.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #609 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenedBeing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@CENTRAL: Tips that fit the CK10:

-Shure/Etymotic/Monster Triple flanges (seems to yield the best sound; stem needs to be trimmed for Shure) Some members have also cut the smallest flange off.

-Sony Hybrids (highly recommended)
-ER-CK100 Foam Tips (very expensive; better than De-cored Olives IMO)
-Klipsch gel tips (bi and single)
-De-cored Shure Olives
-SoundMagic Foam (worse than stock IMO, YMMV)

Have not tried but other members have:
-Atrio Bi-Flanges (used by dfkt)
-james444 stuffed two tips together if I remember correctly?
-Comply Foams

I wrote a short comparison on tips here and average_joe also made a tip guide (check under his signature). I am sure that there are more options out there that has not been listed.

Thank you, that was really helpful!

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #610 of 1,585
Got my custom sleeves today,tried them with my ck10's.
Isolation and comfort is better than sony hybrid, I think there is a little bit more bass, and little improvement in soundstage, but need some more time with them,only picked them up a few hours ago
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #611 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by weili /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isolation and comfort is better than sony hybrid, I think there is a little bit more bass, and little improvement in soundstage, but need some more time with them,only picked them up a few hours ago
ksc75smile.gif

Waiting for further impressions!

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #612 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenedBeing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe it was ThrashingShrimp who sent them to remolded.

Yeah it was me. The phones should arrive on Wednesday. I got them done at Fisher, not UM.

I'll post my impressions later.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #614 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by weili /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Interesting...looking forward to hearing more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back