Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Jan 30, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #47 of 1,585
Did some listening earlier, and I need more time. The three phones in question, W2, Custom TF10 and CK10, all sound very, very good, as expected. My only issue with the CK10 is fit. I mean, I have them sounding as described by others, but they feel sort of pressure-packed compared to my two custom phones (UM56 for the W2s). No comparison in terms of comfort, at all. I am going to try and find some tips or insertion method (either up or down) that makes the CK10s comfy, or I don't see how I can use them for any long-term listening. But again, it's too early to decide.

I can only say that when I switch from the CK10s right now (using small OEM silicones now, over the ear) to either of the other two phones, the comfort level is immediately apparent ... sort of soothing, in fact. That needs to change. I don't expect the CK10s to be as easy to wear as customs, but they have to come at least close. If not, SQ will not be enough. But that's not too out of the norm, to feel that way.

Jan 30, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #49 of 1,585
I use mine with trimmed Shure tri-flanges, and they are very comfortable. Also, they can be used with the foam-hybrids supplied with Brainwavz Beta and decored Soundmagic PL50 foam-hybrids.

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #51 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by mp3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use mine with trimmed Shure tri-flanges, and they are very comfortable. Also, they can be used with the foam-hybrids supplied with Brainwavz Beta and decored Soundmagic PL50 foam-hybrids.

You mean the white Shure flanges? Trimmed to two? I have those on hand, gave away my Betas and never had the PL50s. But I can try the Shures. Didn't think you could stretch them on, but I will give it a try.

Right now I have the CK10s on down, and the large stock tips are giving me a good seal, no discomfort. May be my solution. More listening ahead.

Now trying the small tips over the ear, didn't plant them so deep, wet them first, and I think I might have hit the right combo. I mean, they are not "invisible" relative to customs, but they are not painful either. Just different. I need to wear them for an hour or two and see how it goes. Meantime, the sound is superb, much what some have posted here. Details, crisp, but I still am using the Sony Clear Bass EQ, personal preference. They do not sound "thin" or sibilant right now, far from it. Listening to a track from Johhny A called Oh Yeah. Highly recommended.

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #52 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Do they feel less comfortable than the other universals that you've owned? I've never experienced any problems fit or comfort wise with any of mine.

Yes, less comfortable than any other unis I've owned. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I don't think so. If I wet them, they are much easier on the ear canals. More messing around needed. See my post above. I can live with wearing them down, to be honest. No pain there at all.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #55 of 1,585
I didn't buy anything today: wait, I bought a D4 and am awaiting it. I might pick up an ES7 for reference instead of always borrowing it.

But the CK10 was my favourite. The CK100 could do it but the neutral sig of the CK10 means that trance is better, and that is important for me. The problem with the CK10 and to a lesser extent, the CK100 is that the fit kit is uncomfortable for me. Eventually, I used the CK10 with Nuforce hybrid foams, and for loads of bass, high density smooth earplugs with a hole cut in the top which I allowed to slightly cover the outport. Lots of bass, gobs of it - too much? bordering on it.

I've not been unlucky with my purchases. My first happy headphone was the Porta Pro about 20 years ago and without any assistance from anyone - it was just the headphone which I thought sounded great and at 10 years of age, it was a huge investment.

IEMS - the CK10 has been my favourite since 2008 and I think I explained that in my review of it - somewhere on this site.

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #56 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean the white Shure flanges? Trimmed to two? I have those on hand, gave away my Betas and never had the PL50s. But I can try the Shures. Didn't think you could stretch them on, but I will give it a try.

Right now I have the CK10s on down, and the large stock tips are giving me a good seal, no discomfort. May be my solution. More listening ahead.

Now trying the small tips over the ear, didn't plant them so deep, wet them first, and I think I might have hit the right combo. I mean, they are not "invisible" relative to customs, but they are not painful either. Just different. I need to wear them for an hour or two and see how it goes. Meantime, the sound is superb, much what some have posted here. Details, crisp, but I still am using the Sony Clear Bass EQ, personal preference. They do not sound "thin" or sibilant right now, far from it. Listening to a track from Johhny A called Oh Yeah. Highly recommended.

Yep, the white tri-flanged Shure tips, PA755, they can be stretched to fit.
I let them remain tri-flanged but cut off the stem so it sits flush with the biggest flange.

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #57 of 1,585
Hmm, Nuforce hybrid foams? Never heard of them, but might try to find some.

Or maybe the Shure flanges, as mp3 suggests.

At least good to know the fit/comfort issue isn't just me. Seems that the CK10s must be perfect for certain ears (with the OEM tips), but not much room for variance. Again, with a little less "planting" they seem to be fine, and not bad comfort-wise (over the ear, with smallest OEM tips). But I am going to check out the Shure flanges today as well.

Anyway, I know they can sound fantastic (as described by Shigzeo, Joker and AudioDwebe), but consistently finding that fit sweet spot is now my primary goal. As far as comparing them to the W2s, they are a little more detailed, not overwhelmingly so. If I can resolve the fit issue, I will keep both.

Comparing them to the TF10 Customs isn't really fair right now, because while the customs sound very good, I may have to get new impressions, because the ones I have are just a tad too short (scanned by Fisher from an old pair of Futuresonics Softerwear sleeves), and when I apply very light pressure to the TF10 customs, I would say they outperform both the W2s and the CK10s, for my listening tastes. But that is a big gap, one that needs to be resolved by me (do I want to spend $50 on new impressions plus another reshell by Fisher, who made no mistakes in my reshell)?

I think I might, but not right now. On the other hand, if I do sell/return the CK10s, I would have enough to get the TF10s customs right this time. I tried to save on the impressions, and it was probably a mistake. I can see my UM56s, made from new impressions, are longer than the TF10 sound tubes, so that would be the difference.

Kaysen at Fisher said they could not scan the UM56s to make my new customs, but I digress.

Anyway, all things equal (good fit, primarily), I really prefer the TF10 custom sound (with that light push into my ears) over the W2s and the CK10s. I have the Westone ES cable on the TF10s, just for added info.

Seems like a no-brainer that I should get the TF10 custom thing taken care of. I may have to wait a little to finance it, and in the meantime, try to get the CK10 fit problem resolved.

Decisions, decisions.

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #58 of 1,585
Quote:

Originally Posted by mp3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, the white tri-flanged Shure tips, PA755, they can be stretched to fit.
I let them remain tri-flanged but cut off the stem so it sits flush with the biggest flange.

Thanks, next on my list. I have managed a decent comfort level with the small silicones, just don't insert them too far. It's a trial and error process, and they have to be wet to get them right for me at least.

Update:
Comfort issue solved. Thanks mp3. Shure tri-flanges amazingly comfortable, and you get a good plant with the tri-flanges. Excellent. Need to listen to my HP "audition" tracks. Now, I feel I can compare the phones on equal grounds. I know the CK10s were not made for Shure tri-flanges, but it works. Talking Heads' Making Flippy Floppy (Stop Making Sense) sounds right on the money. More to hear.

Also, not a hint, a scintilla, of sibiliance, on my toughest sibilance inducing tracks. So fit is critical in taming sibilance. If you are hearing ssssssing with these, it's because they are not inserted properly.

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #59 of 1,585
Found an excellent track to gauge the CK10s' prowess...Bebel Gilberto's Sem Contencao from her Tanto Tempo CD (2000). Wow, details galore. Excellent bass. And this is on the Amp3 Pro1, so no EQ. Not sure about the "warbly" treble Shigzeo, nothing warbling at all. Just smooth, clear beautiful music.

The CK10s are showing their true colors on the Amp3 and Zune, with the Shure flanges, and no EQ. Of course, I do like the ability to tick up the bass one step on the Sony X. Having fun now with these IEMs. Still would not rate them higher than the W2s for now, but not comparing just listening to the ATs. Will do more head to head listening later. Even the little bit of hiss on the Amp3 isn't problematic when the music is playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back