Audio Technica ATH-AD900x Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #16 of 250
^ That's great to hear, I'm currently waiting for my funds to transfer to Paypal.

I'm not a heavy bass listener however I just wanted more opinions before I actually bought them.

Once my funds are transferred to my Paypal, most likely the end of this week I will go make the purchase.....then i probably gotta wait another week or two for shipping...

Cant wait though!
smile.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 250
Just got my pair in the mail today! These are my first higher quality headphones I've ever owned (ie. not Skullcandy IEMs) I can already hear details missed in my old cheap IEMs and I've barely broken them in yet so I'm pretty excited. The one thing that does concern my though are the two bars that go across the top of the cans. I thought they were going to some sort of metal but they appear to be plastic (maybe?) and wiggle. Are they suppose to be a little loose? They are in no means about to fall off though they just move a bit if touched.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #18 of 250
Quote:
Just got my pair in the mail today! These are my first higher quality headphones I've ever owned (ie. not Skullcandy IEMs) I can already hear details missed in my old cheap IEMs and I've barely broken them in yet so I'm pretty excited. The one thing that does concern my though are the two bars that go across the top of the cans. I thought they were going to some sort of metal but they appear to be plastic (maybe?) and wiggle. Are they suppose to be a little loose? They are in no means about to fall off though they just move a bit if touched.

They're supposed to wobble, yes - to conform to ones head.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #21 of 250
Hello! I was seriously considering the ATH-AD900's for gaming/music. I was looking for something super immersive that treated vocals, environmental ambience and electronically-laced music very well (with no worries about the bass response being super heavy, just "right"). Need them to be very comfortable for 6+ hrs and not fatigue your jaw. I don't actually know the difference between the 900 and the 900X (I would love if someone could enlighten me, I'm having trouble discerning), but to cover all my based I'll cross-post this here too.

I listen to some very complicated, heavily layered tracks and I love to lose myself in complex soundscapes. Can the ATH-AD900X keep up with cluttered tracks, like this or this? Does it treat music with a lot of electronic sound well?

Most of all, I want immersive, generally darker or electronic songs to sound fantastic, definitely not blended or flat. Ex: Homesick by Parov Stelar, Parks on Fire by Trifonic, Rusty Nails by Moderat, Hearts Collide by Little Boots.

That being said, I listen to a wide variety of genres, and of course I'd also like them to work well for games. Right now I'm comparing them against Sennheiser HD598 and ATH-AD900 regular, both seem like all around good headphones too. I'm mostly worried about the layers blending into each other in any way. Any opinions?

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #22 of 250
  Hello! I was seriously considering the ATH-AD900's for gaming/music. I was looking for something super immersive that treated vocals, environmental ambience and electronically-laced music very well (with no worries about the bass response being super heavy, just "right"). Need them to be very comfortable for 6+ hrs and not fatigue your jaw. I don't actually know the difference between the 900 and the 900X (I would love if someone could enlighten me, I'm having trouble discerning), but to cover all my based I'll cross-post this here too.

I listen to some very complicated, heavily layered tracks and I love to lose myself in complex soundscapes. Can the ATH-AD900X keep up with cluttered tracks, like this or this? Does it treat music with a lot of electronic sound well?

Most of all, I want immersive, generally darker or electronic songs to sound fantastic, definitely not blended or flat. Ex: Homesick by Parov Stelar, Parks on Fire by Trifonic, Rusty Nails by Moderat, Hearts Collide by Little Boots.

That being said, I listen to a wide variety of genres, and of course I'd also like them to work well for games. Right now I'm comparing them against Sennheiser HD598 and ATH-AD900 regular, both seem like all around good headphones too. I'm mostly worried about the layers blending into each other in any way. Any opinions?

Okay, scrap that. I got some information from the ATH-AD900 appreciation thread... I've heard excellent things about those phones and from what I've read (so far) the ATH-900X basically extends the bass a little bit, which I would appreciate with all the electronic music I listen to.

My only concerns/questions now to ATH-AD900X owners are: what are the pads made of? I read somewhere that they were pleather over velour, which I think would be an odd and somewhat uncomfortable choice. I also read that they are "too big" - that is, they fit very loosely on smaller heads. That might be a bit of a discomfort/annoyance for me, though I've seen people use rubber bands to provide better seal.

Sep 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 250
The pads are very soft and made of a foam material covered by black felt, not pleather. I also have a smaller head and never have these phones felt like they would fall off, if anything they feel a little snug at times. Then again mine are fairly new so maybe they loosen in time, not sure. I couldn't recommend them enough for comfort. I've listened for hours with them and never felt pressure or discomfort during or afterwards.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #25 of 250
  I also listen to a good share of electronic music and the 900Xs give a good amount of bass. I use an amp though too so that would also help give the bass a punch.

Really? I found the AD 900x bass was GREAT without an amp :O I did used a +3 db boost in foobar eq but other wise for an open can it has some SERIOUS TIGHT bass! I found it to be perfect with EDM, and I loved it with NO eq for metal basslines as well! 

btw if any one wants to buy one, I've got a like new one I got today [under 5 hours use] for sale :3 

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #26 of 250
Okay, so I got mine a few hours ago. I'm a little tired, so I'm not giving them a full run, but from what I've noticed so far, they are doing well. I look like a total dork, but luckily that isn't the point :p.

Have any of you noticed that twangy sounds are especially, well, twangy? I was listening to Pipe Wrench Dubstep, and whoa! Very springy but stiff too, like a real instrument that would produce that sort of sound. And guitar sounds GORGEOUS, oh my god. It's so WARM.

At the moment, the only downside is that crisp sounds (like drum taps) are almost fatiguing because of how sharp they are, and some of my various collection of heavy electronic music sounds grainy due to recording quality. Not much can be done about that last one.

Have any of you had noticeable quality improvements after burn-in? I understand these are right out of the box, so they aren't at their best; I'm wondering if I should play these while I'm at school/work to help with that.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #27 of 250
Please all,

Give the headphones some time!!!

These headphones are not as difficult, and won't need so much a dedicated amplifier as some others but still need some time.

We are talking about s set of very natural, detailed and fast headphones which will reach plenitude after, at least, 100 hours of use.
A dedicated headphone amplifier, as neutral as possible, will maintain their touch and still improve the sound stage.
Great for female voices & baroque, acoustics…

A waste for gaming, in mho.

A trick, if they move too much (they won’t fall), move the upper band just a little forward.

Regards,
Cartrufer

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #28 of 250
Hey guys,

Im fairly new to headphones and stuff and I was thinking about getting a AD900x and I currently have a Koss djpro100. How big of an improvement would it be? Would it be day and night difference or just slightly better?

Thanks for the help

Oct 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #29 of 250
  Okay, so I got mine a few hours ago. I'm a little tired, so I'm not giving them a full run, but from what I've noticed so far, they are doing well. I look like a total dork, but luckily that isn't the point :p.

Have any of you noticed that twangy sounds are especially, well, twangy? I was listening to Pipe Wrench Dubstep, and whoa! Very springy but stiff too, like a real instrument that would produce that sort of sound. And guitar sounds GORGEOUS, oh my god. It's so WARM.

At the moment, the only downside is that crisp sounds (like drum taps) are almost fatiguing because of how sharp they are, and some of my various collection of heavy electronic music sounds grainy due to recording quality. Not much can be done about that last one.

Have any of you had noticeable quality improvements after burn-in? I understand these are right out of the box, so they aren't at their best; I'm wondering if I should play these while I'm at school/work to help with that.

I had a similar problem, I had a 320 kbp/s of I.D.G.A.F.O.S. by Dillon Francis, and on my ad 900x they just sounded grainy, but on my he-400 they sounded much better.

I don't know why either, but it sounded off (I thought it was recording related)

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #30 of 250
Went to the shoppes yesterday with the intention of walking out with either a pair of Philips Fidelio X1 or AKG K701s. This was based on reviews I've read vs my personal tastes. Tested both. Very long story short, came home with an AD900x instead. At this price, and comfort level they wow'd me!! These cans really do need more exposure. They are a great entry-mid level audiophile can.

Now my Audio-Technica collection is 3 deep. Couldn't be happier.. for now 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back