Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Jan 16, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #781 of 873
Yeah, personally I like headphones with pressure. Can't stand it when I get up to go do something, or shift my sitting position or something and they're practically falling off.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #782 of 873
  Yeah, personally I like headphones with pressure. Can't stand it when I get up to go do something, or shift my sitting position or something and they're practically falling off.

Yeah, same here. Well, hopefully these would work for me for longer listening period. But I guess 1-2 hours are the max I'd use them anyway. That's why I like to use earbuds or IEMs for movies, they are more comfortable and my ears/face don't get warm easily. Here in Singapore it's hot and humid all year long. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #784 of 873
Oh my god, where can I get a case like that? I'd love something like that for my pair.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #786 of 873
I've been giving my AD2000 a little more listening time and I now find myself quite taken by its rather unique sound signature. Very nice highs, NOT at all irritating, and outstanding vocals. Heck, I listened to my AKG K812 and the AD2000, playing a dew DSD64 tracks and comparing them. The latter is very detailed sounding, but I suspect it owes this level of detail due to its treble. The K812 projects details more subtly and smoothly w/o too much highs. The vocals is where the AD2000 shines, I find myself preferring vocals on the AD2000 to the K812. I can't explain it, but the singer's voice, a female singer I might add, sound so much more natural and somewhat forward.....using Geek Pulse followed by iFi Nano iDSD + Lyr stack, still preferred the vocals on the AD2000 to the K812.

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #789 of 873
I have a pair of ad2000 but my ears touch the drivers now. I've tried replacing with new ear pads, but that didn't work. I also tried putting soft foam underneath the ear pads but it makes my ears to warm and makes it very uncomfortable to wear. Is there another way to make it work? I have not been using them for a while and I miss the sound of them. Any advice would be helpful.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #790 of 873
  I have a pair of ad2000 but my ears touch the drivers now. I've tried replacing with new ear pads, but that didn't work. I also tried putting soft foam underneath the ear pads but it makes my ears to warm and makes it very uncomfortable to wear. Is there another way to make it work? I have not been using them for a while and I miss the sound of them. Any advice would be helpful.

I stuff rolled tissue paper into the front and back halves of the ear pads to push the drivers away from my ears. The amount you'll need to use will probably be up to you. I admit to not really being able to tell much of a sonic difference and being too lazy to take the pads in and out to compare. I'm satisfied, though.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #791 of 873

I stuff rolled tissue paper into the front and back halves of the ear pads to push the drivers away from my ears. The amount you'll need to use will probably be up to you. I admit to not really being able to tell much of a sonic difference and being too lazy to take the pads in and out to compare. I'm satisfied, though.

Wow, this actually feels ALOT better than the foam mod I did before. There's significantly less pressure on my ears. I guess the foam I had was too thick... Thanks again!

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #792 of 873
Re-surfacing what looks like a dead & buried thread...

Finally came around to ordering a pair of these based on a solid recommendation from a local audio shop. Honestly don't have very high hopes for them but curios to hear my WA22 pushing them.

Stay tuned for impressions!

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #793 of 873
Re-surfacing what looks like a dead & buried thread...

Finally came around to ordering a pair of these based on a solid recommendation from a local audio shop. Honestly don't have very high hopes for them but curios to hear my WA22 pushing them.

Stay tuned for impressions!

I don't know why you'd be slightly biased to not have high expectations about something you haven't personally spent any time to audition.That seems a bit of "Defeatist" to me. (Particularly due to the fact you'll be trying them with that pretty decent headphone amp you have)

These headphones look very "competitive" (for their price) with the offering of several of the popular high end headphone companies for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. While.you're stuck with using the non-detachable hp cable (but is not a dopey short portable length), I think I'd try using them w/ some "real" earpads like Audeze.(To be honest though, if they fit on my Senn HD800 I'd buy them in a second)

I may have to try a pair of these myself as they don't appear to have any design features that wide dynamics acoustic (largely Orchestral) music need. I've gotten quite a few laughs from people who don't understand what they're talking about (on YouTube & here) how the various frequenciy responses they're hearing work on these headphones & others . I know this is not how these frequencies are being generated by Acoustic music. Acoustic & Non Acoustic music are two completely different animals. It's impossible to not sacrifice a tiny bit of the transient response requirements to ensure that you can have a "Thumpy" or "Punchy" sound. Non Acoustic music is not that dynamically interesting without this "Aural Hook".

Like I've said these headphones visually anyway don't appear to say "Thumpy" to me, so that looks like a good start at least (& they're only a bit over what.. $500 on Amazon ($600 w/ the Audeze pads ; & they don't appear to have parts I'll have rip out of them like my HD800)

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #794 of 873

Amazing! This feels much better. Thank you very much.

I just bought these headphones today brand new and I must say they are very nice, they're my first "real" serious headphones! 
I came from my UE900 and Sennheiser HDR 170 and these made me hear sounds in songs I never had before.

Can anyone recommend me a good dac/amp for these headphones? (prebuilt ones e.g. ODAC+O2, Shiit Stack, etc)
I'm also considering portable ones as I can bring them to and from office.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #795 of 873
I don't know why you'd be slightly biased to not have high expectations about something you haven't personally spent any time to audition.That seems a bit of "Defeatist" to me. (Particularly due to the fact you'll be trying them with that pretty decent headphone amp you have)

These headphones look very "competitive" (for their price) with the offering of several of the popular high end headphone companies for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. While.you're stuck with using the non-detachable hp cable (but is not a dopey short portable length), I think I'd try using them w/ some "real" earpads like Audeze.(To be honest though, if they fit on my Senn HD800 I'd buy them in a second)

I may have to try a pair of these myself as they don't appear to have any design features that wide dynamics acoustic (largely Orchestral) music need. I've gotten quite a few laughs from people who don't understand what they're talking about (on YouTube & here) how the various frequenciy responses they're hearing work on these headphones & others . I know this is not how these frequencies are being generated by Acoustic music. Acoustic & Non Acoustic music are two completely different animals. It's impossible to not sacrifice a tiny bit of the transient response requirements to ensure that you can have a "Thumpy" or "Punchy" sound. Non Acoustic music is not that dynamically interesting without this "Aural Hook".

Like I've said these headphones visually anyway don't appear to say "Thumpy" to me, so that looks like a good start at least (& they're only a bit over what.. $500 on Amazon ($600 w/ the Audeze pads ; & they don't appear to have parts I'll have rip out of them like my HD800)

First of all, my other cans are the LCD3f & HD800. I've also recently owned T1 Gen 2 and the LCD2f. I spend most of my time with the LCD3f these days but do shift back to the HD800 every now and then. I am used to a much thicker (those Audeze pads!) & heavier set of cans. I'll not go into sound yet since I don't have enough time with the AD2000. I will say though that the WA22 is obviously complete overkill for these. I run them just fine from my iPhone 6s & Mojo.

What I can say is that unless I change the stock pads on the 2000, I'll not be keeping these. They just don't sit on my bald head at all. They won't necessarily slip and are generally comfortable but I am always having to pay attention and realize that I have headphones on my head that can fall or slip down with any movement. I really don't know what they were thinking with that suspension mechanism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back