audio technica ath-6 electrets
Aug 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
I have an old pair (from the 80's) of ath-6 electret headphones.

the headband broke but I think the elements are still ok. I have the ath6 transformer that goes with it.

are these phones worth fixing or doing anything with?

I was never impressed with their bass but the rest was fine, as I remember it.

I'm wondering if doing some custom headband might be worth it for these elements?

this pair has been sitting unused for a long time. I came close to throwing them out, a few times, too
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 5
pics please. i have an electret teledyne with burnt elements but everything else perfect

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Your initial impression of the ATH-6 was correct: they're nice but the bass is weak, and the little transformer box isn't top quality. They're not sonically hopeless, however, and the design is astute enough to make it worth your time to try to repair the headband, assuming it's not hopeless. Some photos would help.

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 5
alright, I'll take some pics. good thing I didn't throw this pair away
wink.gif

I bought them, new, in the 80's (or even late 70's, I forget!). my friend bought the ath7 but I could only afford the ath6 at the time
wink.gif
I don't remember his being that much better even though the trafo box was bigger.

let me find them and snap some photos. maybe its worth salvaging or customizing to a new headband.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't remember his being that much better even though the trafo box was bigger.

The difference isn't huge.

Depending on where the headband broke, you may indeed have to re-pot these. I'd suggest a Stax SR-30 if you can find one cheap. Very similar construction but not as slim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back