Audio-Technica ART Monitor Series Refreshed: A2000Z, A1000Z, A900Z, A500Z
Mar 10, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #61 of 263
The a990z is available since february in france, but only one online retailler and perhaps in audio technica shop in paris (too lazy for the trip) and no word about it, i wish to buy it since the day one but the fear to learn he is just equal to the a900x or not worth of the 100€ supp hold me back. :D

But i don't think it s a lesser tier than the a900x based on id msrp, is japanese launch price was around that same for the a900z. The a900x can be found by japan import around 150€/160$ when a local retailler sell it between 340-400(europe).

I read a little review on reddit of the a900z but the reviewer never got the a900x to compare :frowning2: but it make me notice one thing, the frequencies of the a900z up to 40kHz where the a990z up to 42kHz can it make a real différence between the two ?

The 900z were not favorable amongst Japanese reviewers... I would rather get the 1000z instead.

But again, their opinions can be subjective.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #62 of 263
i have seen some quick jap  review, on the a900z (amazon.jp, bss.kakaku )  , well its seems it break with the A900/X way and not in the good way, and i have little hope about the a990z now.

the a1000z seem very good but out my range ($
frown.gif
$), well the a900x win the race i think.

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #63 of 263

So how did the A1000Z differentiate between the a900z and a2000z?
Regretted not turning up for CanJam :frowning2:  How was it like ? 

The A900Z was a clear tier lower than both - Bass was muddled, mids recessed. Didn't give it much time before I put it down.

The A1000Z and A2000Z were very close in terms of sound quality. With my FiiO X7, the differences are slight, the A2000Z being more laid back, wider and overall more refined. However, the A1000Z clearly pulls ahead when paired with AT-HA22TUBE. There is surely some magic going on with this combo. While the A2000Z also sounded quite good on the amp, it just doesn't have the synergy the A1000Z has with the amp.

The Canjam was certainly fun, there were many people and lots of things you can try. Having so many people with the same hobby and passion in one place was an amazing experience! 
biggrin.gif

How about w/o that amp, straight out of X7 w/AM1 default amp module?  I'm curious what are your thoughts, especially in terms of bass quantity?

Btw, ATUS is getting A2000Z soon in stock.  I have incoming review sample in a few days.  From your description, it sounds almost like T5p 2nd gen, which I definitely planning to compare against.  Probably will add EL-8C to that comparison as well.

Wonder what Bram @earfonia thinks about it
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #64 of 263
How about w/o that amp, straight out of X7 w/AM1 default amp module?  I'm curious what are your thoughts, especially in terms of bass quantity?

Btw, ATUS is getting A2000Z soon in stock.  I have incoming review sample in a few days.  From your description, it sounds almost like T5p 2nd gen, which I definitely planning to compare against.  Probably will add EL-8C to that comparison as well.

Wonder what Bram @earfonia
 thinks about it :wink:

The AM1 probably didn't have enough driving power for those headphones, as I thought they didn't sound their best straight out of the X7. The AM2, or any decently powerful DAP, should fare better.

Sorry, it has been too long since I heard them at Canjam and my memories of their sound are hazy at this point. But I do remember them having very neutral quantities of bass that's neither boosted nor reduced. The A1000Z did have better bass quality, impressively taut, detailed and textured.

Cool, looking forward to your take on the A2000Z Twister! :)

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #65 of 263
The 900z were not favorable amongst Japanese reviewers... I would rather get the 1000z instead.

But again, their opinions can be subjective.

True.  But, we've grown to expect more from newer / revised models and what we're seeing is just partial improvements.  It makes our own upgrade process seem more like a side-grade, yet we're out more money.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #66 of 263

Wonder what Bram @earfonia
 thinks about it
wink.gif

The AM1 probably didn't have enough driving power for those headphones, as I thought they didn't sound their best straight out of the X7. The AM2, or any decently powerful DAP, should fare better.

Sorry, it has been too long since I heard them at Canjam and my memories of their sound are hazy at this point. But I do remember them having very neutral quantities of bass that's neither boosted nor reduced. The A1000Z did have better bass quality, impressively taut, detailed and textured.

Cool, looking forward to your take on the A2000Z Twister!
smily_headphones1.gif

Surprisingly, A2kZ showed up at my door today!  On a burn in now for a few days
wink.gif

First impression out of the box is very positive!  It got da bass, and it's still there after 2hrs of burn in, very nicely extended down to a textured sub-bass, with a nice fast mid-bass, overall bass is tight, articulate, very well controlled and separated from lower mids, quantity is a little north of neutral, but not too elevated.  Lower mids are a bit on a leaner side, while upper mids are very clear, detailed, revealing without being harsh or grainy.  Treble is bright, extended, airy (not too much though), and no signs of sibilance.  If you push the volume higher (sensitivity is 101 dB, so you need to push it higher) in my "worst" sibilance test track it can get close to being a bit grainy at the top, but never crosses the threshold.  Again, I'm talking about absolute extreme here.  Overall sound signature is balanced, and the sound is very resolving, revealing, detailed, extended.

So, that's the good part.  Here is a bad part - the soundstage.  The width is average, maybe slightly above average, but the depth and the height are below average, creating a more close and intimate in your soundstage (closed back, after all).  In no way does the sound gets congested, and actually imaging and instruments/vocals placement is not bad.  But the staging difference is very noticeable since I have been listening to T5p 2nd gen a lot lately.  I keep comparing these two and gotta tell you that A2kZ bass is better and treble is a touch smoother in comparison to T5p.2 while they are both very resolving and with excellent retrieval of details.

Another thing I'm not too crazy about - cables are not removable :frowning2:  If R70x has removable cables, why not make the same with A2kZ?!?  According to the spec, ground wires are separated (probably only connected at TRS jack), so would have been awesome to hear how it sounds balanced, maybe that will improve the soundstage expansion.  Otherwise, you are stuck with permanently attached 3m cable.  Also, no case or pouch.  Btw, earpads are the same size as R70x, but no way I'm switching these synthetic leather pads with R70x velor pads, I want to keep the bass without changes :)

So far, I'm digging these A LOT!!!  If they could have soundstage expantion of T5p.2 and also removable cables, similar to T5p.2 or R70x - I would elevated these to the top of my list, for sure!  Even EL-8C can't touch them, and in terms of tonality (let's just wait until I'm done with burn in), it will be a hard choice between A2kZ vs T5p.2.  Btw, I also like the headband wings, the spring it stiffer in comparison to R70x.  Overall, definitely great isolation and no sound leakage (that is one of the problems with T5p.2, leaking sound from bass port, despite them being closed back).

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #67 of 263

wink.gif

First impression out of the box is very positive!  It got da bass, and it's still there after 2hrs of burn in, very nicely extended down to a textured sub-bass, with a nice fast mid-bass, overall bass is tight, articulate, very well controlled and separated from lower mids, quantity is a little north of neutral, but not too elevated.  Lower mids are a bit on a leaner side, while upper mids are very clear, detailed, revealing without being harsh or grainy.  Treble is bright, extended, airy (not too much though), and no signs of sibilance.  If you push the volume higher (sensitivity is 101 dB, so you need to push it higher) in my "worst" sibilance test track it can get close to being a bit grainy at the top, but never crosses the threshold.  Again, I'm talking about absolute extreme here.  Overall sound signature is balanced, and the sound is very resolving, revealing, detailed, extended.

So, that's the good part.  Here is a bad part - the soundstage.  The width is average, maybe slightly above average, but the depth and the height are below average, creating a more close and intimate in your soundstage (closed back, after all).  In no way does the sound gets congested, and actually imaging and instruments/vocals placement is not bad.  But the staging difference is very noticeable since I have been listening to T5p 2nd gen a lot lately.  I keep comparing these two and gotta tell you that A2kZ bass is better and treble is a touch smoother in comparison to T5p.2 while they are both very resolving and with excellent retrieval of details.

Another thing I'm not too crazy about - cables are not removable :frowning2:  If R70x has removable cables, why not make the same with A2kZ?!?  According to the spec, ground wires are separated (probably only connected at TRS jack), so would have been awesome to hear how it sounds balanced, maybe that will improve the soundstage expansion.  Otherwise, you are stuck with permanently attached 3m cable.  Also, no case or pouch.  Btw, earpads are the same size as R70x, but no way I'm switching these synthetic leather pads with R70x velor pads, I want to keep the bass without changes :)

So far, I'm digging these A LOT!!!  If they could have soundstage expantion of T5p.2 and also removable cables, similar to T5p.2 or R70x - I would elevated these to the top of my list, for sure!  Even EL-8C can't touch them, and in terms of tonality (let's just wait until I'm done with burn in), it will be a hard choice between A2kZ vs T5p.2.  Btw, I also like the headband wings, the spring it stiffer in comparison to R70x.  Overall, definitely great isolation and no sound leakage (that is one of the problems with T5p.2, leaking sound from bass port, despite them being closed back).

Thanks for the very informative first impression!

What source did you use with the A2kZ? Out of my X7 the A2kZ's soundstage is indeed flat. However, with the HA22TUBE amp the soundstage depth and height increased substantially, creating a much more immersive 3D soundstage (also applies to AD1kZ). My E12DIY didn't have the same effect on the A2kZ though. My guess is that although it sounds good out of a DAP, it is capable of scaling higher with the right amp.

Agreed about the removable cables. No idea why AT hasn't implemented them in their A and AD series headphones. Could save a lot of hassle in recabling, and of course getting the benefits of balanced.

Looking forward to your impressions after burn in!

beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #68 of 263

Originally Posted by twister6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

Thanks for the very informative first impression!

What source did you use with the A2kZ? Out of my X7 the A2kZ's soundstage is indeed flat. However, with the HA22TUBE amp the soundstage depth and height increased substantially, creating a much more immersive 3D soundstage (also applies to AD1kZ). My E12DIY didn't have the same effect on the A2kZ though. My guess is that although it sounds good out of a DAP, it is capable of scaling higher with the right amp.

Agreed about the removable cables. No idea why AT hasn't implemented them in their A and AD series headphones. Could save a lot of hassle in recabling, and of course getting the benefits of balanced.

Looking forward to your impressions after burn in!

beerchug.gif

I tested it originally with PAW Gold, Opus#1, L5 Pro, and DX80.  PAW Gold has a very expanded staging, regardless of its only 3.5 SE output :wink:  BUT, I just hooked it up to my Micro iDSD and HELLO SOUNDSTAGE depth/height!  Playing some David Elias "Morning light Western town" DSD64 - very expanded, especially when I switch to 3D.  Most likely I will not be using A2kZ with DAPs on the go, so Micro pair up is perfect in this case!

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #69 of 263

I tested it originally with PAW Gold, Opus#1, L5 Pro, and DX80.  PAW Gold has a very expanded staging, regardless of its only 3.5 SE output :wink:  BUT, I just hooked it up to my Micro iDSD and HELLO SOUNDSTAGE depth/height!  Playing some David Elias "Morning light Western town" DSD64 - very expanded, especially when I switch to 3D.  Most likely I will not be using A2kZ with DAPs on the go, so Micro pair up is perfect in this case!

Haha glad to know that depth/height expands with the iDSD! So it basically confirms that the A2kZ needs a powerful amp to get that delicious 3D soundstage. 
gs1000.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #70 of 263

Haha glad to know that depth/height expands with the iDSD! So it basically confirms that the A2kZ needs a powerful amp to get that delicious 3D soundstage. 
gs1000.gif

Probably more than just a powerful amp, though you do need more juice to drive them to their full potential (impedance is not that high, but low sensitivity needs a boost).    PAW Gold is very powerful, but wasn't able to push it through.  Pair up with Micro is EPIC, especially with XBass and 3D enabled.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #71 of 263

Probably more than just a powerful amp, though you do need more juice to drive them to their full potential (impedance is not that high, but low sensitivity needs a boost).    PAW Gold is very powerful, but wasn't able to push it through.  Pair up with Micro is EPIC, especially with XBass and 3D enabled.

Well I'll have to try that pairing sometime then! (wish I hadn't sold my iDSD...)

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #72 of 263

Might I experience something similar with the Magni (assuming AC power will really benefit them)?

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #74 of 263

Might I experience something similar with the Magni (assuming AC power will really benefit them)?

Sorry, I don't have Magni, but I can say with a high certainty that A2kZ will benefit from a good amplifier, this is not a pair of headphones intended for a smartphone (couldn't push it loud enough from my Note 4) or a mid-fi DAP.  Don't get me wrong, they sound great from PAW Gold, but soundstage expansion is lacking, while with Micro it really opened up.  I'm mostly into portable audio gear on the go, don't have as many amps to test/compare.  Micro iDSD is a review sample from iFi, and I'm so happy Lalala6 brought up amplifier pair up to my attention, otherwise I wouldn't even try it.

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #75 of 263
How does the A2kZ compare against T5p 2 in the soundstage department, now that you heard it with the iDSD?

Even with iDSD A2kZ still can't beat it.  It's not really night'n'day difference (without Micro, it was a big difference), but I still find T5p.2 to be more holographic.  But A2kZ has more bass impact, deeper sub-bass, a little more body in lower mids, and a little smoother upper mids and treble.  But T5p.2 is more efficient and really don't need an amp, you can drive them with your smartphone and still get the same soundstage expansion without compromising sound sig too much.  But A2kZ is more refined and cheaper in price, no sound leakage and excellent isolation, also very comfortable to wear.  I wouldn't say they disappear on your head, but I think I need to stretch headband spring a little more, will keep it on a soccer ball while I'm burning them in
wink.gif

... also makes me wonder how it will pair up with Mojo, though don't have one at the current moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back