Audio Technica AH-M50x vs Philips Fidelio L1 vs Something Else
May 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #16 of 22
Okay, so I will be ordering the headphones this weekend... there has been a slight change though, they're going to be an early birthday present, so my "budget" has increased somewhat, although not sure if it will change things much. After a ton of researchI the following options that seem to fit what i'm looking for:

Creative Aurvana Live!                  £52.99              Apparently very good sound, but worried about build quality and comfort
KRK KNS 6400                              £69.00              Have heard some good things but don't know much about it
Brainwavz HM5                             £69.50              The Lindy is £20 cheaper but shipping from the seller doesn't work for me (that's ok, this one has a bunch of extras)
Logitech UE6000                           £77.67              Really good review by Tyll Herstens, has noise cancelling in a pinch
Audio Technica ATH-M50              £79.99              Good but coloured sound, I still don't like it not having a detachable cable though (and M50x is £45 more)
AKG K551                                     £99.00               This caught my eye because it seems to be a massive discount on  a really good headphone!
Focal Spirit One                          £134.01               Pushing the budget a bit again, but again a big discount... doesn't seem to have the same sound as the professional/classic though

I'm still leaning towards the HM5, but was wondering if any of the others would be worth considering instead. As mentioned up top will be for listening to acoustic/classical music while studying, so priorities on neutrality, detail, and good bass and treble extension. Preferably not overly accentuated bass!

I'd appreciate any last thoughts before I take the plunge :)

May 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #19 of 22
I would agree. I find the UE6000 a little dark, and they seem warmer to me than the M50s--a little too warm in that regard-- as if the emphasis extends into the lower mid range. This is what I think would be the discriminating factor between those two for many people, whether one liked the extra warmth (not quite my cup of tea).

K550s have more mid presence than the UE6000 and the M50s. Closer to neutral in bass response--it's there and well extended, but not emphasized, yet still with some treble emphasis (although not as much as the AKG Q/K70x open headphones). The K550s also have a much better soundstage which is really nice, closest I have heard to open headphones. I think that they are a class above the UE6000 and M50 (all three of which I own) in detail resolution as well, but of course personal listening preferences might make you like one more than the other. For acoustic and classical, I definitely prefer the K550s.

UE6000 are the most portable of the those three in size, although M50s do pretty well because they will also fold up or lay flat. K550s wouldn't be great for hauling around in a backpack if you wanted to take them with you, although I find them more comfortable than the other two.

I didn't care much for the KRK 6400s sound signature, and I think they are overall below the M50s and UE6000 in class, more competitive with the sub $100 class of headphones.

May 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #20 of 22
I would agree. I find the UE6000 a little dark, and they seem warmer to me than the M50s--a little too warm in that regard-- as if the emphasis extends into the lower mid range. This is what I think would be the discriminating factor between those two for many people, whether one liked the extra warmth (not quite my cup of tea).

K550s have more mid presence than the UE6000 and the M50s. Closer to neutral in bass response--it's there and well extended, but not emphasized, yet still with some treble emphasis (although not as much as the AKG Q/K70x open headphones). The K550s also have a much better soundstage which is really nice, closest I have heard to open headphones. I think that they are a class above the UE6000 and M50 (all three of which I own) in detail resolution as well, but of course personal listening preferences might make you like one more than the other. For acoustic and classical, I definitely prefer the K550s.

UE6000 are the most portable of the those three in size, although M50s do pretty well because they will also fold up or lay flat. K550s wouldn't be great for hauling around in a backpack if you wanted to take them with you, although I find them more comfortable than the other two.

I didn't care much for the KRK 6400s sound signature, and I think they are overall below the M50s and UE6000 in class, more competitive with the sub $100 class of headphones.

Thanks so much, that really helps! It's a tough decision now for me between the K550s and the HM5s, the AKGs are a little more well-known versus the raving reviews for the Brainwavz. Thank you for the advice, I'll be ordering one of the two on Sunday!

May 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #21 of 22
Actually, the AKGs are very well known. You can ask here how they compare to the HM5s: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613707/the-akg-k550-appreciation-discussion-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back