Audio Technica AD900 REVIEW (and compared to HD595)
Mar 11, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #16 of 36
I listen to mostly rock, and music with guitars. 90s rock. and some classical. and some hip hop.

And about your (pp312's) comment: its interesting. I can definitely tell where your coming from (about the midrange and tizz and boom) but in my opinion its not false. In my opinion it sounds true. hmmm. i don't know what to think

I don't know why the AD900s were so hard to locate. I got them from musician's friend and had to wait two months before they came.

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #17 of 36
Loved my ad900s so much at first listen, I started an appreciation thread
biggrin.gif
I love the senn sound too though. I would say that on most systems though that the ad900 is more musical than the 595s which tend to annoy me somewhere in the upper mids.

If you play acoustic guitar and have an acoustic/electric... plug the ad900 in your amp and see how great they sound. When I did that I was blown away at how real they sounded vs my hd580s. I had other issues with them that I got tired of in the end but that happens to me with all headphones
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had other issues with them that I got tired of in the end but that happens to me with all headphones
biggrin.gif

Ain't that the truth mate
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #21 of 36
I'm glad my thread has made people happy
beerchug.gif

I like your other headphone too by the way. My Portapros are all I need for my metal music listening on my daily brisk walking routine. Theyre really great for the price especially at around $30 with free worldwide shipping on ebay these days.

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dtow55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And about your (pp312's) comment: its interesting. I can definitely tell where your coming from (about the midrange and tizz and boom) but in my opinion its not false. In my opinion it sounds true. hmmm. i don't know what to think

lol. Let me not confuse you! It's just that my reference is the sound of a symphony orchestra heard from a reasonable distance, and I find Sennheiser phones are voiced very accurately from that viewpoint. That doesn't mean you have to like their sound, just that they ARE accurate in that sense. If your reference was standing in the middle of a rock band, they wouldn't be accurate; probably the AT AD900 would be much more so. But that isn't the sound I'm after. I have no objection to people prefering a bright sound; I only jump in when they talk about phones like the AD900 being "better" than the Senn phones.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol. Let me not confuse you! It's just that my reference is the sound of a symphony orchestra heard from a reasonable distance, and I find Sennheiser phones are voiced very accurately from that viewpoint. That doesn't mean you have to like their sound, just that they ARE accurate in that sense. If your reference was standing in the middle of a rock band, they wouldn't be accurate; probably the AT AD900 would be much more so. But that isn't the sound I'm after. I have no objection to people prefering a bright sound; I only jump in when they talk about phones like the AD900 being "better" than the Senn phones.

Ahh this is a great post. It's important to realise that we listen to different genres and have different requirements.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #24 of 36
A real accurate sounding headphone should sound like the we are listening from wherever the microphones are placed when recording. The headphones shouldn't add a 5th row sound for example to an onstage recording. Getting that 5th row sound is fun though but it adds a "same sound" effect to any music you throw at them. The 595s and ad900s both have their flaws but they are actually two pairs of cans that I like
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #25 of 36
UPDATE:

I've had more time to listen to the AD900s and I have concluded that there is a less than perfect amount of bass. Not overtly noticeable or problematic in any way, just not perfect. But at the same time, I would give away that amount of bass ANY DAY for its incredible bass extension! The only place I have heard notes as low as these phones produce is from my sub woofer for my stereo. I'm sure other phones "produce" these low notes based on their tech specs, but they are not produced very well and are not really noticeable compared to the AD900s.

I'm talking about the bass notes that are easier to feel than to hear. Every time I hear them I am glad that I have them rather than simply more bass.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #26 of 36
I think you mean what Many others have said about this headphone. There isn't a lot of bass, as in, it's not as noticeable (and certainly not overwhelming), but what you do hear sounds good. Quality over quantity and all that.

Right now I'm making a character on Oblivian, and the ambient noise has same bass and sounds great.

Also: Donunus: Like Otakusound, above The appreciation topic is a great reason I bought these.

Happy days, everyone!

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #27 of 36
I do concur reviews on ad900 are less frequent than those of other popular ones (701, ad700) and your review is a welcoming change of contribution to offset that effect. Enjoyed your review.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #28 of 36
AD900s are a great headphone. Totally agree on the bass quality.

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #30 of 36
I have a pair of 595's and I like them for their comfort most of all. Being an electronica fanatic, the bass is just terribly lacking. If I try to bring more of the lows out with some EQ, it just seems to hurt them. Sometimes the 595's will even pop with bass that my M50's can play effortlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back