AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jun 27, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #796 of 3,694
Jun 27, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #797 of 3,694
Are their ethernet BIOS setting he could look for?

Speaking of when was the last BIOS update you have done? 

Is your 3ghz i7 a Haswell or Skylake chipset?  WIN 7 or 8.1 or 10?

Try a REDNET firmware rollback to 3.4 and see if that doesn't help.

I've looked in the bios, there's only an enabling and disabling of the internal ethernet card. Cpu throttling is disabled, it's on full-on run mode. There is the cpu virtualization setting but i don't think that's anything for latency, which goes to 15ms in the red for Dante control for the Rednet. I've also disabled the flow control in the Ethernet settings (w10) but still no 192khz joy.

The 3ghz I speak of is Strange's computer who is also getting skips/pops on his 3ghz i7. I'll need to call focusrite and see if i can trouble shoot.

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #798 of 3,694

It seems the RN3 can do 150us and not the RNd16.  I found with some experimentation that the 150us SQ is best that 5ms the worst.  So this does make a difference.  But I was able to get 192k on all RN3 latency settings.

I'm also getting close to 1ms with DVS set for 1ms (but showing 4ms in grey):

ASIO Latency is not the same setting as Dante Latency. The Dante latency is the latency that shows up under "Device Info" in Dante Controller. You can only change it between 4-6-10ms.

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #799 of 3,694
  Thank you rb2013, but I was thinking about the realtek/gigabyte ethernet driver setting in "device manager" or are these overgone completely by the Rednetsoftware? I don't think so but I am not an expert, only beginner :wink:

Good question - my machine is a fairly new WIN10 iCore7 - I did not touch the settings.  I assume they are all set for 1GB as std

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #801 of 3,694
I've looked in the bios, there's only an enabling and disabling of the internal ethernet card. Cpu throttling is disabled, it's on full-on run mode. There is the cpu virtualization setting but i don't think that's anything for latency, which goes to 15ms in the red for Dante control for the Rednet. I've also disabled the flow control in the Ethernet settings (w10) but still no 192khz joy.

The 3ghz I speak of is Strange's computer who is also getting skips/pops on his 3ghz i7. I'll need to call focusrite and see if i can trouble shoot.

Weird - I feel lucky to have no issues

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #802 of 3,694

ASIO Latency is not the same setting as Dante Latency. The Dante latency is the latency that shows up under "Device Info" in Dante Controller. You can only change it between 4-6-10ms.

Yes that is showing 4ms - but I'm getting much better then that - peak 1.1ms and ave 1.1ms

Do you have the DVS set for 2X2?  Large ASIO buffer size?

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #804 of 3,694

Good question - my machine is a fairly new WIN10 iCore7 - I did not touch the settings.  I assume they are all set for 1GB as std

Do you also have realtek ethernet driver? which version? mine is 10.8.311.2016

In device manager -> network adapters -> properties -> advanced.... there are so many settings, as I'm wondering if these could not be configured in order to get lower latency etc.

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #805 of 3,694

Do you also have realtek ethernet driver? which version? mine is 10.8.311.2016

In device manager -> network adapters -> properties -> advanced.... there are so many settings, as I'm wondering if these could not be configured in order to get lower latency etc.

Mine is 10.1.55.2015

One note my music servers are not connected to the internet - and never will be unless absolutely required.

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #808 of 3,694
I tried the TeraDak LPS on the Sender optical Ethernet - that did improve things a bit.  One last try before sending back to Amazon.

Then tried taking the whole loop out of the Ethernet chain - I did notice a diminished bass depth.  So I guess it'll be staying in.  Not a night and day difference  - but I had the two LPS's already and for $100 worth keeping it.

Just bought this beauty to give a try - Synergistic Research Element Copper Digital Active tunable RCA.  Great price. New $890 - Audiogon $389.
I have heard and read a lot about this cable so worth trying at this price.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/digital-synergistic-research-element-copper-digital-active-tunable-rca-dig-2016-06-19-cables-90077-los-angeles-ca?show_listing=true

I have an extra Audio Sensibilities 1.5M Silver Statement available (RCA to RCA).  If anybody is interested before it goes up on Ebay - PM me:
http://audiosensibility.com/blog/products-2/digital-cables-occ-copper-and-occ-silver/#!/Statement-SE-Silver-S-PDIF-RCA-BNC-Digital-Cable/p/46391588/category=4059160

Cheers

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #809 of 3,694
Are their ethernet BIOS setting he could look for?

Normally not but you should check Soundsgoodtome. Also check the props of the network adapter: fullduplex & gigabit should be enabled .. also full performance (power setting) for both the CPU and the network adapter.
Check the router too, it may also have some sort of low power mode enabled.
And it could also be that the Dante and/or focurite drivers arent very well written.

without looking at the pc & whole network directly it's almost impossible to say where the issues lie .. but it is surely not the CPU!

Try this tool
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
Pretty much the best for investigating audio latency/driver issues. It should be selfexplanatory. With numbers under 500 and no funny spikes your PC can play HD audio .. under 100 is very good. And under 50 you're golden :wink:

Jun 27, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #810 of 3,694
Normally not but you should check @Soundsgoodtome. Also check the props of the network adapter: fullduplex & gigabit should be enabled .. also full performance (power setting) for both the CPU and the network adapter.
Check the router too, it may also have some sort of low power mode enabled.
And it could also be that the Dante and/or focurite drivers arent very well written.

without looking at the pc & whole network directly it's almost impossible to say where the issues lie .. but it is surely not the CPU!

Try this tool
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
Pretty much the best for investigating audio latency/driver issues. It should be selfexplanatory. With numbers under 500 and no funny spikes your PC can play HD audio .. under 100 is very good. And under 50 you're golden
wink.gif

Thanks for the latency tester!!
- the full duplex & gigabit was set to auto in the network card settings -- I will try to force gigabit full duplex when I get home later.
  I want to say there may be more to investigate in network throttling, when DVS or Rednet first installed it asked to control "flow control" of the networking and I hit yes
- high performance power settings are on, minimum cpu state is 100% (speedstep is disabled in bios as well)
- no router or switch, it's a direct connect between PC and Rednet 3 (although some suggest I try a switch between the two... with better management?)
- my PC however is an older i7 from 2009 (1.7GHz quad core) but when I pop open the task manager to look at cpu usage, it's way below 50% while music is playing.
- could it be I only have 4GB of RAM? but music playing shouldn't be that intensive here.. I'll try an 8GB I suppose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back