AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Nov 18, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #2,462 of 3,694
I would love to see a wireless stand alone AOIP solution for any streamer of choise. That or perhaps a wired solution would make me choose the AOIP path.
Sorry, but IMO there is not much else that could make me pull the plug. I am way to happy with my USB chain right now. Remember that the AC mains, ground, shield and USB power is all elements that needs to be improved to hear the full benefits of USB audio. I am sure AOIP can make a difference...but not neccessarily as a complete circle.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #2,463 of 3,694

That is interesting - how does the CD player sound vs the PC?

I liked the PC. Overall, it just sounded better to me. As I mentioned earlier, they do have very similar sound signatures. CD Transport was Teac VRDS 25 and Oppo BDP-95. I also liked using the Oppo for Blu-ray and DVD music. Sorry, SACD doesn't work.

Whatever upsampling you have selected in Dante Controller is what your DAC will use regardless of the external device (ie. CD Player / Blu-ray player).

After discovering all this, I sent an email to Focusrite and they confirmed the JetPLL technology was still active to minimize reduce jitter (not just a pass thru when Ethernet is not being used).

I think now more than ever, I'm convinced none of these pro audio companies will develop something simpler for consumer audio. The ability of connecting all these devices together with Ethernet cables is really the selling feature (which consumer audio doesn't really need). From what I've read, there are limitations to JetPLL (DiceIII) that wouldn't sit well with the larger consumer audio base. No DSD, 192K max.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #2,464 of 3,694
I would love to see a wireless stand alone AOIP solution for any streamer of choise. That or perhaps a wired solution would make me choose the AOIP path.
Sorry, but IMO there is not much else that could make me pull the plug. I am way to happy with my USB chain right now. Remember that the AC mains, ground, shield and USB power is all elements that needs to be improved to hear the full benefits of USB audio. I am sure AOIP can make a difference...but not neccessarily as a complete circle.

So, if you've never heard it, how do you know it wouldn't make you want to change or that it isn't as complete a "circle" as you're describing it?

There is zero point to judging if you haven't actually heard it.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #2,465 of 3,694

So, if you've never heard it, how do you know it wouldn't make you want to change or that it isn't as complete a "circle" as you're describing it?

There is zero point to judging if you haven't actually heard it.

True! But that truth goes both ways. Until you have'nt tried the ultimate USB chain you cannot say that AOIP is the better option. If you read my reply I never said that USB was superior...just that I wanted AOIP to be a part of USB audio. For the sake of AOIPs future I do hope they find a way to implement both.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #2,466 of 3,694
True! But that truth goes both ways. Until you have'nt tried the ultimate USB chain you cannot say that AOIP is the better option. If you read my reply I never said that USB was superior...just that I wanted AOIP to be a part of USB audio. For the sake of AOIPs future I do hope they find a way to implement both.

I've heard quite a few USB chains... "ultimate" is kind of subjective. I'm also not the only one by far in the thread who previously used USB and has since moved over to this after experiencing the differences. I'm not stating any of this with any ill intent or angry tone - just pointing out that to simply come in here and say you doubt it could change your mind without giving it a shot doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Find a way to hear it... then compare. It's worth it.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #2,467 of 3,694

For quite some time, I have been using USB as a digital audio path in my rig and was quite amazed at the SQ improvement after each addition of USB fixer-upper devices and told myself that nothing can sound better than this or so I thought.

But after diving in blindly and implementing the RN3 AOIP in my set-up, my initial belief that nothing can be better than USB digital audio quickly dissolved. I mean the SQ improvement over USB was not subtle at all. The artist vocals and instruments sounded so real that it was outright spooky. So from here, I walked away from usb audio devices and never looked back.

This is just my experience and if you read this whole thread, you will find quite a lot of folks who are doubtful at first but totally embraced it after giving it a shot.

IMO, the thought of using different USB fixer devices to improve the digital audio signal is a clear indication that it is really compromised and not the best path for digital music. just my 2c!

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #2,468 of 3,694

For quite some time, I have been using USB as a digital audio path in my rig and was quite amazed at the SQ improvement after each addition of USB fixer-upper devices and told myself that nothing can sound better than this or so I thought.

But after diving in blindly and implementing the RN3 AOIP in my set-up, my initial belief that nothing can be better than USB digital audio quickly dissolved. I mean the SQ improvement over USB was not subtle at all. The artist vocals and instruments sounded so real that it was outright spooky. So from here, I walked away from usb audio devices and never looked back.

This is just my experience and if you read this whole thread, you will find quite a lot of folks who are doubtful at first but totally embraced it after giving it a shot.

IMO, the thought of using different USB fixer devices to improve the digital audio signal is a clear indication that it is really compromised and not the best path for digital music. just my 2c!

I understand...and I do fully respect AOIP. However, I would also like to know what USB path you are comparing to? So for example what kind of USB "tweaks" did you end up with when you did the switch to AOIP?

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,469 of 3,694
I understand...and I do fully respect AOIP. However, I would also like to know what USB path you are comparing to? So for example what kind of USB "tweaks" did you end up with when you did the switch to AOIP?

Just when you thought Muziqboy couldn't throw more moneys at his USB chain, he found other ways to tweak it. I would say what he was using was maxed at what you can do with USB (using a Singxer F1-U plus all kinds of add-ons).

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #2,470 of 3,694

I have tried / had a very good USB chain with Offramp 5, LPS on the ext clock and Offramp. But Rednet still beats it IME. Wireless would I would say have more issues potentially than USB. For example I have way more hassles streaming high res movies via wifi than ethernet. So imagine wifi audio would be the same?

I would say try AOIP before you say USB is as good / better.

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,471 of 3,694
Back onto Rednet and Dante. Has anyone using a Mac tried setting 24 or 32 bit depth in the controller for the Mac (preferred encoding). I set all my settings to 44.1. If I select 32 bit in Dante controller, then look in Audio Midi app it still says only 44.1 24 bit. It will play ok but I am not sure if it is better, or even making a difference i.e. sending data via Core Audio in 32 bit?

Any ideas?

Actually I think Audirvana+ controls the bit depth with the direct mode & Integer mode click boxes. When I had the offramp and M2 Tech EVO it showed up a red or green light to show it was pumping out 32 bit. Maybe Apples Audio Midi is bypassed? 

On another subject, does anyone know if the Rednet Controller app for Mac version 2 works? I think I read it is buggy.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #2,472 of 3,694

I hate it when folks ask this but have you read through this entire thread?

Rob had the most tricked out USB chain ever and chronicled every minute step of his path to get there. Many of us have described our well conceived USB chains also.

Give it a spin or better yet buy an RN3 from Sweetwater. You can always return it.

I seriously believe that AOIP is the best kept "secret" in audio and is hiding in plain sight. It stuns me that it gets no attention on CA. I guess they are too busy jousting with each other?

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #2,473 of 3,694
You are spot on. In fact my further experiments with the Startech GB LAN Ethernet USB extender and solid state storage on the same Startech, along with a pretty insane USB data and power chain has made me reconsider what USB can do. Believe it or not - This USB chain is my new reference!

Surpassing all the AOIP Dante chains I've had, including with the Mutec as reclocker and Antelope OCX.

Today with the arrival of the excellent MEIYAN 24 VDC LPS, replacing the Breeze LT1083/RCore LPS on the Startech REX, this chain has now surpassed the best I could get with the Rednet OR the modded BURL.

I'll start a new thread titled 'AOIP watch out - USB strikes back!'

A hint - the explosive dynamics and levels of detail are breathtaking.

Once the MEIYAN LPS gets a few hundred hours, the SQ should be even better. I have some mods to do on it, then I'll get the new thread up.

Got to love computer audio, best sound I have had yet. Just not an easy path, but then again anyone who has delved deeply into high end analog knows that's not easy either.

Cheers!

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #2,474 of 3,694
  Back onto Rednet and Dante. Has anyone using a Mac tried setting 24 or 32 bit depth in the controller for the Mac (preferred encoding). I set all my settings to 44.1. If I select 32 bit in Dante controller, then look in Audio Midi app it still says only 44.1 24 bit. It will play ok but I am not sure if it is better, or even making a difference i.e. sending data via Core Audio in 32 bit?

Any ideas?

Actually I think Audirvana+ controls the bit depth with the direct mode & Integer mode click boxes. When I had the offramp and M2 Tech EVO it showed up a red or green light to show it was pumping out 32 bit. Maybe Apples Audio Midi is bypassed? 

On another subject, does anyone know if the Rednet Controller app for Mac version 2 works? I think I read it is buggy.

I've installed it as well.

And while I haven't run into any bugs yet, it still has a ways to go yet, ie. it's 'young'.

And no I haven't worried about anything above 24bit, since there isn't any, at least in my possession.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back