AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Nov 4, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #2,416 of 3,694
Since the other xmos thread is closed, I will try to have my question answered here. I currently use AES out on SOtM dX-USB HD / mBPS-d2s combo into a DIDiT DAC212SE. I was thinking of either testing the Singxer SU-1 and replacing the SOtM if that turns out to be better, or taking the network path and going for an Aries or RedNet. Do you think the Singxer would be a step up, or should I just forget the whole USB implementation (what I dislike ever since firewire become obsolete partly due to that) chain and go straight Ethernet?

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #2,417 of 3,694
In my experience the RedNet/ethernet solution is superior to any flavor of USB implementation.

Using USB anywhere in the chain can be ok but can be surpassed by just about any other approach.
But I must also add the Singxer SU-1 can come close when using either the SPDIF or AES feed to the dac.

I hope this helps.

JJ

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #2,418 of 3,694
Thanks for your opinion! If there was any reasonable alternative to RN3/D16 (these just way too big and a waste of those 16/32 channels) I would have probably bought it already. One of these many audio vendors should go for a proper - but light - 2 channel solution. Maybe Sonore guys are reading these threads (wishful thinking)... :)

Nov 4, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #2,419 of 3,694
  Thanks for your opinion! If there was any reasonable alternative to RN3/D16 (these just way too big and a waste of those 16/32 channels) I would have probably bought it already. One of these many audio vendors should go for a proper - but light - 2 channel solution. Maybe Sonore guys are reading these threads (wishful thinking)... :)

I'm waiting for a cheaper AOIP option as well!

Nov 4, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #2,421 of 3,694
  It's not just about the price - however something between $300-600 would appeal much more to the masses - but the size and the extra channels/features we aren't really going to ever use.

Excatly. So they should make one for this market, which would be cheaper - I hope 
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #2,422 of 3,694
Early on when this community was 1st diving into the AOIP pool, Focusrite was contacted and asked about a more focused version of the RedNet series for us to use, (fewer channels, better PS etc.).
Their initial reply was it would only drop the price by ≈ 25-30%

I figure that much of the price has to do with the need for both Dante and Focusrite to be included in the mix.

IOW implementing AOIP involves s/w (the ethernet network aimed at AOIP) and the h/w (ethrnet, SPDIF, AES, USB etc.) to plug wires into, AND having these 2 separate functions seamlessly work together from 2 separate companies.

That isn't to say other companies couldn't (and have already) provide their own products, but none are specifically aimed at the high end of the consumer audio market, yet.

For instance the Dante transceiver board is ≈ $2-300 (perhaps a bit less in quantity) but that kinda shoots the cheap solution in the foot, and that is only the ethernet input portion of this flavor of a DDC, and the PS and output electronics won't be cheap, if the goal is to keep it at the same (or better) level of SQ as the RedNet boxes.

Perhaps given enough time and competition the prices will drop below $500 while retaining the same degree of SQ.
But I doubt it will happen anytime soon. 
But it would be rather nice to be surprised and the chinese are very capable of doing so.
Only I wouldn't want to be an early adopter, as there are always 'hitches in the git along' with such complex interactions and with expectations being as high as they are.

JJ

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #2,423 of 3,694
  It's not just about the price - however something between $300-600 would appeal much more to the masses - but the size and the extra channels/features we aren't really going to ever use.

Why would that be a waste? The designer / builder of the D16/RN3 probably had to do very little extra to get the extra channels above 2 channel stereo.
The AOIP technology + DDC handling is probably the biggest part of the package

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #2,424 of 3,694
Ok guys. Looked over the web for weeks to find any report for some cheaper AOIP alternative but could not find anything. Finally I took the plunge on the Atterotech unDaes-o that is a cheaper solution than the Rednet. As Bob also mentioned a few times it's based on the Dante Ultimo chipset. Confirmed this also with Josh from Atterotech. By the way he seems a super friendly person that supported me with some additional info on the product. I red what was to read about the differences between the Brooklyn and the Ultimo. Apparently the second one is the more recent but still lower cost solution limited to 24/96. No problem for me still since 99% of my library is redbook quality and my Theta Gen V cannot support higher then 16/44. 

To cut it short, coming from my Singxer F-1 I still cannot believe how much of an improvement this little device brought to my chain. Just incredible. Tonal accuracy is unreal. Notes are heavier, more defined without losing speed. Bass depth and reverb with the HD800 is unbelievable. Treble is smoother, extended, more present with zero glare. Usually when I get new gear due to the enthusiasm of the "improvement" I tend to skip tracks without listen them till the end. For the first time this has become somehow difficult. I'm drawn into the music and it's like every track has some new beauty in it.

On each little tweak or even major upgrade I have found the HD800 to sound somehow not completely satisfying. The Auralic Taurus although being a solid state amp has been regarded as a warmish device. The Theta Gen V DAC for those who have had the pleasure to listen to is a R2R dac of the 90's and also falls in the warmer gear segment. Still I have never been satisfied with my HD800. Now and finally I can say everything changed and it seems the new Sony Z1R I was planning to purchase in the near future will be postponed for a good while. Cannot believe how much I was missing from my music although the Singxer was still such a great DDC.

I changed house recently and my system is still a mess but just to render a bit the idea I'm posting a picture since I think I owe it to the community :)

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #2,425 of 3,694
  Ok guys. Looked over the web for weeks to find any report for some cheaper AOIP alternative but could not find anything. Finally I took the plunge on the Atterotech unDaes-o that is a cheaper solution than the Rednet. As Bob also mentioned a few times it's based on the Dante Ultimo chipset. Confirmed this also with Josh from Atterotech. By the way he seems a super friendly person that supported me with some additional info on the product. I red what was to read about the differences between the Brooklyn and the Ultimo. Apparently the second one is the more recent but still lower cost solution limited to 24/96. No problem for me still since 99% of my library is redbook quality and my Theta Gen V cannot support higher then 16/44. 

Great news and a good start towards a more economical device. Thanks for taking one for The AOIP Team.

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2,427 of 3,694

So it looks like this can be found for $599, plus $100 for the 24v power supply from atterotech? And are you using Dante Virtual Soundcard?

Great to read your experience!

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2,430 of 3,694
  I'm currently trying to find EU distributors for the Atterotech, seems to be just the right size/feature set I was looking for! Do you have to buy DVS separately?

Just found this one quite easily in the Netherlands

Iemke Roos Audio b.v.
020 697 21 21
www.iemkeroos.nl
sales@iemkeroos.nl

Prices are in EUROs and exlcuding and including 21% VAT
unDAES-O4 channels Dante naar AES770,00 931,70

Users who are viewing this thread

Back