AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Aug 26, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #1,621 of 3,694
  I am interested in getting an Antelope Audio Live clock to further improve my setup. Could someone be so kind to give an example of how to connect this into my current configuration. Both my DAC and Rednet 3 have wordclock in and out via BNC connectors. Does one need an incoming signal going into the Live clock? Where would this come from?

My current setup is: laptop and Rednet 3 connected to managed switch, digital out from Rednet 3 to DAC via AES/EBU  using db25 cable.

I have never used a master clock and would appreciate any help advice on implementing into my setup. Thanks in advance.

Very simple - run separate BNC cables from Liveclock Wclock outputs (there are 4) to RN and DAC Wclock input.  Set the RN to ext clock - not sure on your DAC but should be a switch or jumper.

You are good to go.   No input needed on the Live Clock.

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,622 of 3,694

If Tidal doesn't allow ASIO output, then I recommend using the Hifi Audio Bridge linked on the last page.

Tidal does not directly support ASIO. However, when I initially tried DVS ASIO w/ASIO Bridge, I experienced a rather high dropout rate of a few times an hour. Switching to WDM directly from Tidal, dropouts slowed to approximately one an hour. My hope is by getting Exclusive mode to work, the dropout rate might even be further reduced, or would that not be the case?

Hi Larry!
I am not into AOIP just yet...but I know a thing or two about Asio Bridge. I had similar issues with Asio Bridge & JplayStreamer a year or two ago and it was solved by changing the Asio Bridge buffer to a higher value. Asio Bridge buffer should be the inteded buffer roughly times 4, ie. 64 samples equals 256 samples in Asio Bridge...but could sound better with an even higher sample rate (more relaxed). Also make sure that Hi-fi cable is chosen as both input and output.
BTW. Please share your first impressions by AOIP. I am all ears and do trust your opinion! :)

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #1,623 of 3,694
Hello Everyone,

Many thanks for all of the great work and research that is going on in this thread. However, for new-comers to the AOIP scene, I think it would be very helpful for someone to put a very simple (and I mean cut and dry, no details, no frills) thread on how to purchase a RedNet product, how to get it setup and working within your system, and what software and software settings are required to get it functioning optimally. Also including a FAQ would probably be a very nice benefit.

Something like this would be a very helpful resource for users like me (and most likely many others) who really want to get into the AOIP hardware scene but don't exactly have the time to read through 109 pages of research.

Thanks Again!

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,625 of 3,694
Hi Larry!
I am not into AOIP just yet...but I know a thing or two about Asio Bridge. I had similar issues with Asio Bridge & JplayStreamer a year or two ago and it was solved by changing the Asio Bridge buffer to a higher value. Asio Bridge buffer should be the inteded buffer roughly times 4, ie. 64 samples equals 256 samples in Asio Bridge...but could sound better with an even higher sample rate (more relaxed). Also make sure that Hi-fi cable is chosen as both input and output.
BTW. Please share your first impressions by AOIP. I am all ears and do trust your opinion!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Cornan, Thanks for the buffer tuning suggestion!  That seems to have helped, but it didn't completely ameliorate the issue. I've also been removing unused background programs that may also be interfering with the network. The problem on my Windows 10 system appears to be with ndis.sys, the Windows NIC driver. After a number of changes, the ASIO latency issue is slowly improving, but I'm afraid I still have more troubleshooting ahead. I've decided to stick with ASIO, as I prefer its sound over the slightly harder sounding WDM driver. It might take a while longer, but I hope to have everything sorted soon.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #1,626 of 3,694
  Hello Everyone,

Many thanks for all of the great work and research that is going on in this thread. However, for new-comers to the AOIP scene, I think it would be very helpful for someone to put a very simple (and I mean cut and dry, no details, no frills) thread on how to purchase a RedNet product, how to get it setup and working within your system, and what software and software settings are required to get it functioning optimally. Also including a FAQ would probably be a very nice benefit.

Something like this would be a very helpful resource for users like me (and most likely many others) who really want to get into the AOIP hardware scene but don't exactly have the time to read through 109 pages of research.

Thanks Again!

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

This is a rather tall request.

Since there are many possibilities and possible configurations.

Some of the steps are simple enough, but the overall connectivity sequence can vary by quite a bit depending upon what gear is being used and what might need to be added (ie 2nd ethernet port), what the OS is etc.
Not to mention when something doesn't go as planned.

I'd say it would be best to ask in this thread for help with specific issues as needed, as it would be much more 'efficient' in the long run.

JJ

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #1,627 of 3,694

Hi Cornan, Thanks for the buffer tuning suggestion!  That seems to have helped, but it didn't completely ameliorate the issue. I've also been removing unused background programs that may also be interfering with the network. The problem on my Windows 10 system appears to be with ndis.sys, the Windows NIC driver. After a number of changes, the ASIO latency issue is slowly improving, but I'm afraid I still have more troubleshooting ahead. I've decided to stick with ASIO, as I prefer its sound over the slightly harder sounding WDM driver. It might take a while longer, but I hope to have everything sorted soon.

You are welcome Larry! :) Removing back ground programs and doing some minor pc tweaks to speed up the performance is ok. However, instead of manually removing processes and digging yourself in to deep in pc tweaking I would personally recommend to buy Fidelizer Pro and possibly Process Lasso as well. It will work much better than your own tweaks and you will be able to revert back as well. After too many tweaks it is impossible to remember all the settings you have done in the past.

On a personal note Kernel Streaming with high latency settings beats Asio if used with Jplay...which is another "must have" program in pc audio in my book. Using JplayStreamer with Tidal controlled by BubbleDS Next (Android) or Kazoo (iOS) is the best sounding option IMO.

/Micael

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #1,628 of 3,694
Hello Everyone,

Thanks Again!

- InsanityOne :dt880smile:  

You only need to read the manuals from the RedNet on Focusrite website and the Dante Controler and Virtual Sound Card on Audinate website.

Cheers

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #1,629 of 3,694
An update on my RN3 setup step-up.

Today I installed a LPS (Linear Power Supply for those who may be abbreviation deprived
atsmile.gif
).
I added just one on the 'end' of the Fiber Media Converter (FMC) which feeds the RN3.

With this setup there is ABSOLUTELY no galvanic interaction between the computer and the RNS, since there is no metal wire connecting them together in any way.

And by adding this non-SMPS (switch mode power supply) a whole nuther dimension just came into focus.
By another dimension I mean being able to hear into duets and other closely matched 'voices' such that each can be more easily heard/focused upon/differentiated from its twin.
This also helps in more complex (ie massed 'voices', like orchestral sections), and even down to special effects (echo, reverb etc.).
This change in being able to more easily be able to hear 'into' duets has been improving of late, ever since the RN3 was introduced into my system.

But this is a whole nuther dimension of this capability and there is more to this than just hearing duets in more focus, there are other acoustic effects as well.

I'll take some pictures of the voltage being fed the FMC and compare it to the wall wart voltage picture I posted before.

JJ

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #1,630 of 3,694
Sept is just around the corner, I wonder if focusrite could just release the bare bones boards for DIYer.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #1,631 of 3,694
  Hello Everyone,

Thanks Again!

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

I have a very basic guide on installing here

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #1,632 of 3,694
  Hello Everyone,

Thanks Again!

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

Glad to see interest growing in AOIP. For those of us who have embarked upon it we will never look back. Right now it is a small band of early adopters who are still tweaking their systems while smiling in disbelief at their good fortune. 

I would suggest that you take time to read the links that jabbr listed and as your time permits read this thread from the beginning. What you will learn will put you in a good position to troubleshoot once you have made your purchases and are getting set up. I should also add that most of us have called Focusrite, Sweetwater, or Audinate at least once even having read through all of the material we could find. As someone mentioned above everyone's system is different and I will add that home networking can be a can of worms. This may be state of the art but is nowhere near plug'n pray yet.

Basically by the time someone here takes their own time to put something together that is comprehensive enough for anybody at any level to follow you could easily read through the existing information. Besides the chase is 80% of the fun. Right?

Believe me the effort you put in will be well worth it!

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,633 of 3,694
  An update on my RN3 setup step-up.

Today I installed a LPS (Linear Power Supply for those who may be abbreviation deprived
atsmile.gif
).
I added just one on the 'end' of the Fiber Media Converter (FMC) which feeds the RN3.

With this setup there is ABSOLUTELY no galvanic interaction between the computer and the RNS, since there is no metal wire connecting them together in any way.

And by adding this non-SMPS (switch mode power supply) a whole nuther dimension just came into focus.
By another dimension I mean being able to hear into duets and other closely matched 'voices' such that each can be more easily heard/focused upon/differentiated from its twin.
This also helps in more complex (ie massed 'voices', like orchestral sections), and even down to special effects (echo, reverb etc.).
This change in being able to more easily be able to hear 'into' duets has been improving of late, ever since the RN3 was introduced into my system.

But this is a whole nuther dimension of this capability and there is more to this than just hearing duets in more focus, there are other acoustic effects as well.

I'll take some pictures of the voltage being fed the FMC and compare it to the wall wart voltage picture I posted before.

JJ

Nice!  I have heard similar inprovements on the BURL B2 Bomber/Dante BK2 DAC.  Yes pictures and details on which LPS would be very helpful.

Me and my friend are working on adding an DC socket to power the BURL - so different LPS's could be used.  May need to have Paul Hynes build me one.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #1,635 of 3,694
.... May need to have Paul Hynes build me one.

You may have to put in an order now and be prepared to wait for a while :D

His SR3 models are build by a larger company under his license.
His SR5 and SR7 models are still hand-build by Paul himself, but can have a serious lead time, though I must say that he had some serious medical issues that denied him working normally during my waiting time.

His PSUs are TOTL though so worth the wait.

Do you know what DC voltage a Burl B2 requires and what power it draws?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back