Audio Issue.
Aug 31, 2013 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

renji1337

100+ Head-Fier
I'm using a Xonar DX and a schiit magni, connected via 3.5mm to dual rca. and i'm using JRIVER with the asio driver and i have a question, if i max jriver internal volume and put my amp at near halfway it's great, but i found out in jriver if i set it to -10db and turn my amp past halfway that i have way way more bass. why is this?

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 3
[size=small] It's called quantisation error, It affects a lot of (non 32 bit) DAC's where unless the digital volume is set at 100% you will not get 'bit perfect' playback  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] This page should help explain the reasons for it.   
size]
[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] "Digital volume control is multiplying the numerical value of the sample by a factor.[/size]
[size=small] This factor is in general < 1 but not all of the time.
Volume leveling (replay gain) is an example where > 1 might be applied.
[/size]
[size=small] By design the audio is no longer bit perfect when digital volume control is applied.[/size]
[size=small] One easy example is applying volume control. If you change the volume to 90% for example, the software will multiply all the digital audio data by 0.9. The result is rarely an exactly 16-bit word, just like dividing regular numbers often results in non-integer numbers. It usually has a remainder...which will require more bits (digits, or decimal places in regular numbers). If the data path is limited to 16-bit, the remainders will be truncated. That's analogous to dividing 10 by 3, and having a result of 3. With extra digits available, a more accurate result of 3.333... can be achieved.
Elias Gwinn
[/size]

[size=small] Most DACs accept 16 or 24 bit words only.
No matter how the volume control is calculated, the result must be rounded to a 16 or a 24 bit integer.
The remainder simple doesn’t fit in.
This is called quantization error.
[/size]
[size=small]
This affect affects the LSB (Least Significant Bit) both in 16 and in 24 bits.
The LSB of a 16 bit word is -96 dBFS. Although very soft, it is audible. Dither must be applied to camouflage this artifact.
In case of a 24 bit word the LSB is at -144 dBFS. This is way below the noise floor of any gear.
Using a 24 bit DAC has an advantage.
[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] A lot of audiophiles think digital volume control is bad.
They set the digital volume control to 100% and use an analog device because with digital volume control one loses resolution and dynamic range."
[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Cont herehttp://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/VolumeControl.htm[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back