Audio Horizon's TP 5.0 Tube Buffer
Dec 22, 2007 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Dan Millheim

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to write about my newest acquisition which is a component that has recently come on the market by Audio Horizons. Joseph Chow has designed a truly world class tube buffer that I humbly suggest for anyone wanting to upgrade a buffer above the Z-box, X10 V3 level. It comes in three flavors (taken from their 'Gon site): AudiogoN ForSale: New audio horizons TB 5.0 Tube Buffer

<<The TB 5.0 comes in three versions—a TB 5.0i to be incorporated into components like a Sansui TU 717 tuner of a Kenwood KT 8300 for $475; a TB 5.0s that comes in a stand alone version for $595, and a TB 5.0n, that adds increased noise suppression, premium upgraded caps for a sweeter, smoother, more richly textured midrange, and an on/off switch for $725. An LED light indicates whether it is operating.>>

<<Best of all, with a frequency response of 20-100 kHz, a S/N of -117 dBv (-120 dBv in the 5.0n), a THD of 0.05% at -20 dBv input, channel separation of 90 dB @ 1kHz, Dynamic Range of more than 110 DB, and a -1dB gain, it slips almost imperceptibly between your preamp and amp or between your signal source and preamplifier without adding either noise or coloration. All this starting at $595>>

The communication with the company was outstanding with every question I ask being answered the same day. I opted to purchase their TP 5.0n with upgraded caps, $725. When the unit arrived, 6 days after placing my order, it was double boxed and packaged perfectly.

My desire was to add a bit of tube warmth to an all solid state digital head phone rig without compromising detail. My rig consists of: a Red Wine Modded Olive Music Server-> North Star M192 Dac-> Headroom Home Maxed Se Amp-> Ultrasone Edition 9 w/ RAL silver reference with SE termination ( a match made in Heaven!).

Note: This past year I started with a Benchmark Dac1 and while I enjoyed the Dac's detail, I did find it somewhat forward and a bit too edgy for my listening tastes of jazz and female vocals. I sold the Dac1 and recently upgraded to the North Star M192 and have fallen in LOVE(!) with it's almost analogue treatment of CD's. Wanting to see if I could further tame some lingering digital glare, I purchased the Audio Horizon Buffer...

The TP5.0n came stock with two Tesla 7DJ8 which I later replaced with Amperex 6DJ8 ECC88 D-getters.

After burning it in for three weeks I can honestly say that I am now blown away by the sound I am getting from my combined system. WOW! FYI: I had recently sold a Decware Z box tube buffer feeling it did not give me enough "warmth" with it's lone12au7 in my particular set up. With the Tp5.0n running two ECC88's and better caps, I now have all the detail of a higher end SS headphone rig with added smoooooooth tube depth, air and SQ emanating from a "you are there" black on black noise floor!

This next year my plan is to save up for Steve at Empirical Audio to work his magic on my M192 using it's i2s to run his Pace Car reclocker from my Red Wine Olive... at that point it will be "game over."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back