Audio-GD's site is confusing me
Aug 7, 2011 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

grmnasasin0227

100+ Head-Fier
Is there any difference between the NFB-10WM and the NFB-10ES other than the chips in them? Both are apparently being sold on the site but I believe the ES is $100 more expensive, at $880? Can some one please fill me in? Is there a true character difference, is this crappy marketing, or what?

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 33
The NFB-10wm is warmer sounding where as the NFB-10ES is more analytical. Different flavors of sound same quality.

Regards

Macrog

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 33
I found the site to be very confusing. After some (at least a month) exploring everything on the site I lost confidence even if the products had a good reputation.  It was just too confusing for me and the product description and availability was also confusing. There was no way I was going to spend my money on one of the products.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 33
I thought they had discontinued the NFB-10ES.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:
I thought they had discontinued the NFB-10ES.

See that's what one would figure, because you can't get to the ES's page through the site...but a google search for it will bring you right to it, as though it's hidden...or the site is constructed like crap. And since it IS constructed like crap, I wouldn't exactly put it past them to actually sell the thing and not have it directly listed.

Quote:
I found the site to be very confusing. After some (at least a month) exploring everything on the site I lost confidence even if the products had a good reputation.  It was just too confusing for me and the product description and availability was also confusing. There was no way I was going to spend my money on one of the products.

Thank god I'm not alone! I don't mind ESL folks trying to sell to English speakers, but sheesh I've gotta spend about 15 minutes per product page to even have a reasonable sense of what it's supposed to do! It's hard to tell if the numbering system for the NFB line is actually reflective of performance (NFB-1 is the best, NFB-10 is right behind, and NFB-5/7/whatever are somewhere in the middle? What?) and the site does you no favors in trying to differentiate between the different models. I'm new to this world, so their reputation so far is just hinging on the fact that they've been recommended to me many times in a thread I created...but as for personal experience I have nothing to judge them on other than their EXTREMELY crappy site.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 33

Quote:

Thank god I'm not alone! I don't mind ESL folks trying to sell to English speakers, but sheesh I've gotta spend about 15 minutes per product page to even have a reasonable sense of what it's supposed to do! It's hard to tell if the numbering system for the NFB line is actually reflective of performance (NFB-1 is the best, NFB-10 is right behind, and NFB-5/7/whatever are somewhere in the middle? What?) and the site does you no favors in trying to differentiate between the different models. I'm new to this world, so their reputation so far is just hinging on the fact that they've been recommended to me many times in a thread I created...but as for personal experience I have nothing to judge them on other than their EXTREMELY crappy site.

I bloody well hope not. I have ordered the NFB-7!! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 33
i received my NFB-2 two weeks ago, n so far im very happy with it.. the only minus in dealing with them was the english, well they are after all a chinese company 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #8 of 33

Quote:
Quote:
See that's what one would figure, because you can't get to the ES's page through the site...but a google search for it will bring you right to it, as though it's hidden...or the site is constructed like crap. And since it IS constructed like crap, I wouldn't exactly put it past them to actually sell the thing and not have it directly listed.

The site was so confusing I spent my $1500 somewhere else. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 33
Is there anybody out there who can properly rank their stuff? Other than price he makes no indication of what should outperform what (an NFB-12 is $200, and the NFB-2, which is just a DAC runs for $450, the NFB-3 is only $300, while the NFB-10 is nearly $800?) I'm so confused. I don't want to give up on this site because a lot of people recommend this stuff but it seems VERY difficult to properly decide what to buy...do you guys just close your eyes and click a link or something?

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 33

Quote:
Is there anybody out there who can properly rank their stuff? Other than price he makes no indication of what should outperform what (an NFB-12 is $200, and the NFB-2, which is just a DAC runs for $450, the NFB-3 is only $300, while the NFB-10 is nearly $800?) I'm so confused. I don't want to give up on this site because a lot of people recommend this stuff but it seems VERY difficult to properly decide what to buy...do you guys just close your eyes and click a link or something?

I think you should focused less on  the numbering system and focused more on how much you willing to spend and read the plentiful of review on this site. if that still doesnt work then can start on asking advice which will be the best match with the rest of your gear.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 33
Though their products are popular here I never had a "warm and fuzzy" feeling from their website. In the back of my mind I kept wondering how things would work out if I had a warranty problem to deal with. This applies to any direct China sourced audio product so I've decided to keep things simple in this regard by purchasing mainly US made products. I have a very low tolerance for dealing with the potential headache. I'm not bashing (see the Mav D1 in my sig) but anything >$200 and I'm more comfortable dealing with someone in the relatively same time zone. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
Though their products are popular here I never had a "warm and fuzzy" feeling from their website. In the back of my mind I kept wondering how things would work out if I had a warranty problem to deal with. This applies to any direct China sourced audio product so I've decided to keep things simple in this regard by purchasing mainly US made products. I have a very low tolerance for dealing with the potential headache. I'm not bashing (see the Mav D1 in my sig) but anything >$200 and I'm more comfortable dealing with someone in the relatively same time zone. 

That's an excellent point. I may very well follow suit.

Quote:
I think you should focused less on  the numbering system and focused more on how much you willing to spend and read the plentiful of review on this site. if that still doesnt work then can start on asking advice which will be the best match with the rest of your gear.

And I have been, but the issue is that I don't have any "gear," just headphones, so I'm essentially starting from a blank slate with just a budget. And while I have received recommendations for what to pair them with, some have been buy X amp/DAC, some have been buy Y unit and bypass the amp and just use it as a DAC, and so on...most of the time the suggestions were well below my price point which was also confusing. So while common sense would be to "research it, dummy," I'm finding it hard with imperfect information both from the site and suggestions. Sorry, I'm new to this world and to these forums so I'm still learning how and why things are done as they are...and this site and their products in particular are making things difficult haha

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
And I have been, but the issue is that I don't have any "gear," just headphones, so I'm essentially starting from a blank slate with just a budget. And while I have received recommendations for what to pair them with, some have been buy X amp/DAC, some have been buy Y unit and bypass the amp and just use it as a DAC, and so on...most of the time the suggestions were well below my price point which was also confusing. So while common sense would be to "research it, dummy," I'm finding it hard with imperfect information both from the site and suggestions. Sorry, I'm new to this world and to these forums so I'm still learning how and why things are done as they are...and this site and their products in particular are making things difficult haha

then I would suggest you start a thread for advice (or maybe you can state it here). in there state your budget and your current headphone(s)and source (don't forget your sound of preference) so people can suggest the best match for you.

what you need keep in mind is that sound is very subjective topic due to how different people perceive it. so IMHO the best thing you can do take the best advice you can get, and the rest is trial and error. so like most of the senior member here said "your mileage may vary".

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 33
Hello grm...

The site does take some getting used to, but once you deal with Kingwa and Edwin, after a while you understand a bit better.  I was apprehensive at first and took the plunge and I'm glad I did.  Have purchased several products from them....Great products.

Audio-GD products are talked about more in the "Dedicated Source Components" sub-forum.  There was a time when he was putting out so many products so fast it was crazy....lol

Here is a thread I started about a year ago when I received my NFB-3....Lots of good info on there from lots of posters...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512856/audio-gd-nfb-2-nfb-3-delivery-impression-thread

Good luck...

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back