Audio-gd USB-32 Firmware, Drivers, and Feedback Thread
Oct 2, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #542 of 646
Thanks a lot. It has widened my understanding, though I just hoped that I could hear 192khz music as it is. I have several 192khz pcm files. As I try to listen this files, the clipping noise came back everytime.. (wasapi, asio same)
My system is ... NFB-7 => violectric HPA v200 => HD800...
I've tried other usb cables which is not good one, but tried 3~4 another USB cables, but same results, And the connection between, NFB-7 and V200 is custom made balanced cable, which I made. I think the soldering was good enough for the cable..

Is this dac problem?  Maybe IMD? right? If this is the thing from the Dac, I maybe just should satisfy with 24/48 ,.Even though the musical listening experience would be same, between sample rate?,. I feel like I'm cheated by.

http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_imd.php

I tested about IMD test. It seem like My NFB-7 has IMD certainly. It's just impossilbe? to remove or reduce it?

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #545 of 646
I assume that you have put a proper rate entry to Windows / Playback Device / Properties / Advanced.
I also assume the clipping noise is there all time with rates greater than 44.1 khz and not momentarily when you attempt to play music of higher rates.
I would not put too much faith in the IMD test.
I would check whether 192 khz works through coax and then contact Audio gd - they are normally willing to check the issue through remote session.

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #546 of 646
  I assume that you have put a proper rate entry to Windows / Playback Device / Properties / Advanced.
I also assume the clipping noise is there all time with rates greater than 44.1 khz and not momentarily when you attempt to play music of higher rates.
I would not put too much faith in the IMD test.
I would check whether 192 khz works through coax and then contact Audio gd - they are normally willing to check the issue through remote session.

Yes, thanks for reply.
I had tested with coaxial, there was no problem. It worked nicely. and weirdly after checking the coxial connection, I turned back to USB, and at 192khz USB connection seemed to work nicely. and then I changed sample rate to 384khz, the noise came back....
and to the 192khz again, the noise is there too, and remaining...

By now, the noise seems to be there at 192khz, 384khz,.
I contacted with audio-gd about this problem..

I'm considering that this amanero module which audio-gd customized with has some problem.. Is there any possibility?

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #547 of 646
I have bought audioquest carbon USB hoping this quiet expensive usb cable would solve the high frequency playback noise problem, but unfortunatly It couldn't. no change, The noise is there. At 192khz, 384khz the kkkkkk clipping noise is remaining. And the audio-gd customer service told me to use another computer, especially Mac computer. this is quiet bothersome to try this and another, I already had tried with another computer and various cables and port and hubs.

Maybe this would be an exemple of their trial and error while optimizing their amanero module.

This is annoying for me to try another. I maybe have to just sit with this 44.1 or 48 or 96 khz.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #549 of 646
  I've been watching this for awhile, not to minimize the issue, but 192khz is so useless. I own a Master 7 and Yggdrasil and run them both at 44.1khz.

I see. 44.1 is quiet good enough. though, they are advertising that 192khz, 384khz was also available, and I have several 192khz music source.. and In fact, It seems like there's some discrepancy what I'm told and real playback. That was the point.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #550 of 646
  I see. 44.1 is quiet good enough. though, they are advertising that 192khz, 384khz was also available, and I have several 192khz music source.. and In fact, It seems like there's some discrepancy what I'm told and real playback. That was the point.

Yea my M7 was advertised to work with 384khz, but it didn't, only 192khz and below worked.
The thing is, all digital releases (as far as I know) are released as 44.1khz. Some people upsample those to 192khz, but that's meaningless.

The only real 192khz recordings are rips from vinyl, and 192khz is overkill for that.

Anything higher then 48khz was never intended for playback, it was to give mixing / mastering artists overhead when editing in the studio.

The guy that wrote this article is arguably a genius, he created the OGG format:
https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

If you still want 192khz after reading that, I'd say your only option is to send it back to have it factory tested =/

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #551 of 646

Yea my M7 was advertised to work with 384khz, but it didn't, only 192khz and below worked.
The thing is, all digital releases (as far as I know) are released as 44.1khz. Some people upsample those to 192khz, but that's meaningless.

The only real 192khz recordings are rips from vinyl, and 192khz is overkill for that.

Anything higher then 48khz was never intended for playback, it was to give mixing / mastering artists overhead when editing in the studio.

The guy that wrote this article is arguably a genius, he created the OGG format:
https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

If you still want 192khz after reading that, I'd say your only option is to send it back to have it factory tested =/

I solved the noise problem. I wrapped the usb cable with aluminum tape. and magically 192khz noise disappeared. still at 384khz there's a small kkkk noise. but much smaller lower noise than before. I'm quite satisfied with sound quality. yes right, It was usb problem. Thanks for your support.

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #552 of 646
unfortunately, a few minute later the noise came back.. at the first time contacting wrapped usb, it looks perfect. but after a few minute later, trying again, at second time playing the noise came back...

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #553 of 646
Hey. I finally come to know the reason why 192, 384khz had the noise. NAS Power suppy. This was connected to the same power multitap. And from the NAS power, Hissing noise was made that can be heard by ear. I put the NAS power away from the computer, to another power plug. It has gone,. I feel like sorry for the all complaining. Anyway, Thanks so far..

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #554 of 646
It feels weird to say again and again. I feel like that I'm too much occupied with this high frequency noise. But this is, I think, worth to make other people know.
I discribed a previous situation, the noise disappeared for some moment, when I tried the new aluminum hoil wrapped USB cable. When I thought previous situation, and this time,
It become more clear, why the noise occur and disappear.
 Unfortunately again, the noise came back. This wasn't NAS power effect.

The similarity between previous situation, and this time which for some moment disappearing noise, is time. When I turn the dac first time, the noise was absent, and as the dac warms up, the noise was made.

Some flaws of the dac that affected by temperature seems be the cause. I heard about their quite not good assembly quality. Maybe I'm the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back