Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Aug 6, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #1,111 of 2,441
I'm confused as to why we have started arguing about cables in the dedicated source forum. There is no need to get to offended that someone believes in something that you might not believe in.

Personally I am indifferent about the cables. If I have the disposable income I might humor myself by buying different cables. Whether or not it makes a difference doesn't really matter to me. It's all part of the fun of this hobby. If this hobby turns people hostile toward each other, maybe this shouldn't be the hobby for you or this forum might not be the best place to talk about it. Or maybe you should just avoid talking to each other directly. have a nice day

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #1,112 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused as to why we have started arguing about cables in the dedicated source forum. There is no need to get to offended that someone believes in something that you might not believe in.

Personally I am indifferent about the cables. If I have the disposable income I might humor myself by buying different cables. Whether or not it makes a difference doesn't really matter to me. It's all part of the fun of this hobby. If this hobby turns people hostile toward each other, maybe this shouldn't be the hobby for you or this forum might not be the best place to talk about it. Or maybe you should just avoid talking to each other directly. have a nice day

I agree, but guess what here we all are arguing. I personally couldn’t careless whether cables do or don’t make a difference and am not offended by anyone’s point of view, my point is the thread gets really sour whenever it is discussed, so therefore it’s better if extreme opinions or points of view regarding this subject are left to oneself.
As an observer interested in wanting to read great impressions, I’m really confused. Am I reading impressions about the source or the power cord or both. I can’t make any sense of it, and I will seek other reviews, and take all this with a grain of salt.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #1,113 of 2,441
has anyone done a thorough comparison or have a good way to help me decide which dac to get between this one and the DLIII with Cullen Stage IV mods. I've ruled my next DAC down to one of these 2, but can't seem to decide which one to go with.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #1,115 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, let's end the cable discussion then since this thread has gone farther into it than it probably should. But John, I don't think we are arguing. It's actually one of the more civil discussions I've seen around here lately.

IPodPJ, you and I are in 100% agreement!
icon10.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #1,117 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, let's end the cable discussion then since this thread has gone farther into it than it probably should. But John, I don't think we are arguing. It's actually one of the more civil discussions I've seen around here lately.

Toad, I'm sending you a PM.

True, I’ve seen them a lot more heated, but they do landslide quickly - and it would be a same to see the thread thrashed.
BTW I enjoy your posts, you obviously have a great passion for your hobby. I don’t always agree, but you certainly make it fun.

Cheers
John

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #1,119 of 2,441
Well, since you guys are abandoning the cable discussion, i will stop from posting my question. In any rate, a good discussion and different opinions in respectful manner.

Regards

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #1,120 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have used your Girlfriend to back up your observations before, you don't see a potential for bias here??

I don't! At the meet she was the first person to say she liked the Phoenix over the B22, even when Phil had already declared the B22 the winner. She held her ground and had a completely different opinion than he did. She's not a follower who will blindly agree with Phil. It seems that if she hears differently she'll say so.

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #1,121 of 2,441
Back on-topic:

Running the ExactPower EP15a with the SP15a and Wadia iTransport attached the EP15a shows 15w of power.

Turning on the Re1 DAC it goes up to 90w of power draw. That's 75w for the Re1 DAC.

Turning on the Phoenix brings the total draw to 165-180w. It varies between those two figures, so I guess it's somewhere hovering around 171-173w total draw - right around where the reading shifts back-and-forth. That means the Phoenix is pulling around 81-83w of power.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #1,124 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by C.L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wonder, is it the best DAC so far? I haven't try it yet.

I wouldn't stop there; perhaps the greatest human invention so far? Monkey, haven't you tried every DAC ever made?
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #1,125 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't stop there; perhaps the greatest human invention so far? Monkey, haven't you tried every DAC ever made?
tongue.gif

Heh, looks like I'm at least making that attempt. But I have now heard enough DACs to know, without even hearing it, that the REF1 is by far the best DAC of all time. These days I can judge a DAC purely by smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back