Audio-GD Ref 5 DSP - Digital IN
Aug 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dynobot

Headphoneus Supremus
I have noticed [consistently] that if I back the digital-out-signal of my computer down to 90% the bass really opens up.  At 100% the sound is much leaner...this in on a Linux machine.

Prior to this on Windows and MacOS I used a level meter and noticed that at 100% the digital out is often in the Red.  In fact on some recordings it stays in the Red only periodically dipping into the Yellow. 

I think many people are probably in the same boat and are sending signals that are too Hot to their Dacs.  Some Dacs like my old Valab for instance, when overloaded it would cause very brief distortion.

If possible please test this with your own Dac and chime in any result.

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 3
I just tried that, reducing the colume on my Squeezebox Touch from 100% to 90%.
No difference in tonality.
Could be the difference in source; also, some amps chance their tonal balance when pushed harder.
But most probable my files (usually self ripped from CD with DBpoweramp) might not be in the red as much as yours. Haven't checked that.

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
I just tried that, reducing the colume on my Squeezebox Touch from 100% to 90%.
No difference in tonality.
Could be the difference in source; also, some amps chance their tonal balance when pushed harder.
But most probable my files (usually self ripped from CD with DBpoweramp) might not be in the red as much as yours. Haven't checked that.

Yes my SB digital out [coax] makes not audible difference either from 100% to 90%.

I think it all has to do with how [HOT] the sources digital outs are and/or the material itself.

The first order at hand would probably be to use a level meter to actually see what the signal is like...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back