Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Apr 11, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #181 of 1,288
Audio-gd R2R 1 or Chord Qutest? Just ordered, and I’ve heard it’s shipped *Yay!*, NFB-1AMP and now the thoughts of a better dac are setting in. I’ve been more than happy with my Chord Mojo, but with the balanced amp, a balanced resistor ladder sounds like just the ticket. But I love the Chord sound. Any thoughts on Audio-gd vs. Chord qualities for pleasure in listening with my LCD-3s?
As far as I know the NFB-1 phase splits SE input so you get the full benefit of the balanced circuit even with an SE dac. Probably not exactly the same benefit as with a fully balanced dac, but close enough. Check out Currawong’s review on YouTube if you haven’t already.

Apr 11, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #182 of 1,288
Yes, I believe that the discrete balanced nature of the amp is unaffected by a SE input, although the idea of ACES between components is very attractive.

Yes, I have indeed read Amos’ review, the direct result was my order for the amp, great reviews Amos.

I guess my question is very subjective, Chords have the voodoo for me, and r2r DACA have their own voodoo. It’s a question of detail and imaging, but less of specs and more of musicality, I wish there was someplace to listen side by side, sadly not though. Opinions welcome.

As far as I know the NFB-1 phase splits SE input so you get the full benefit of the balanced circuit even with an SE dac. Probably not exactly the same benefit as with a fully balanced dac, but close enough. Check out Currawong’s review on YouTube if you haven’t already.

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #183 of 1,288
Audio-gd R2R 1 or Chord Qutest? Just ordered, and I’ve heard it’s shipped *Yay!*, NFB-1AMP and now the thoughts of a better dac are setting in. I’ve been more than happy with my Chord Mojo, but with the balanced amp, a balanced resistor ladder sounds like just the ticket. But I love the Chord sound. Any thoughts on Audio-gd vs. Chord qualities for pleasure in listening with my LCD-3s?

Hi, share your thoughts on r2r VS Mojo once received please :)
Cheers

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #184 of 1,288

Regenerated AC,isolated analog-digital,isolated L-R,high quality clocks,high quality source,dedicated power for all stages,extra short usb cables.......Really Matters!!!

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #185 of 1,288
Hello guys. Maybe somebody would help me. I'm currently changing my audio-gd nfb-2 DAC. And there is question which one would be a better option:
-Audio-gd R2R 1 (I can borrow this one for test in my setup)
-Chord 2qute (this one I have no option to borrow for tests)
I can have both for almost the same price (brand new). My current headphone amp is audio-gd NFB-1 amp, using it with hifiman he560 trough xlr connection
Maybe someone could compare these two dacs.
I have the nfb-1amp r2r 7 combination. It works great with the he560. Can't go wrong with the r2r 1. I also have the r2r 11. Sounds great. It's yet another valid option to match with the nfb-1amp.

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #186 of 1,288
In fact, i think the safest, most logical choice is the r2r 1. You get many sound flavors to choose from, and even on the fly between 2 flavors. Even better than that, playing dsd, you get yet another flavor, more like a delta-sygma dac. Like having 3 dacs in one.

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #187 of 1,288
I have the nfb-1amp r2r 7 combination. It works great with the he560. Can't go wrong with the r2r 1. I also have the r2r 11. Sounds great. It's yet another valid option to match with the nfb-1amp.
Thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking of getting a more powerful amp to complement an LCD-3F and ZMF Atticus, even though the R2R-11 drives both beautifully. What do you think I’d gain, if anything, by adding an NFB-1 to the mix?

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #188 of 1,288
Thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking of getting a more powerful amp to complement an LCD-3F and ZMF Atticus, even though the R2R-11 drives both beautifully. What do you think I’d gain, if anything, by adding an NFB-1 to the mix?
The nfb-1amp has a lower output impedance. With it, i get better bass (goes lower, more controled), unless the difference comes from my source (r2r 7 vs r2r 11). Can't be totally sure but i assume the difference is from the amp. It's 2ohms vs 1ohm output impedance. If you need an amp that sounds smooth with plenty of power and accuracy, the nfb-1amp is a very good choice. If you don't intend to use balanced cables, the c-2 is a better choice. Then you have to get a decent interconnect.

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #189 of 1,288
The nfb-1amp has a lower output impedance. With it, i get better bass (goes lower, more controled), unless the difference comes from my source (r2r 7 vs r2r 11). Can't be totally sure but i assume the difference is from the amp. It's 2ohms vs 1ohm output impedance. If you need an amp that sounds smooth with plenty of power and accuracy, the nfb-1amp is a very good choice. If you don't intend to use balanced cables, the c-2 is a better choice. Then you have to get a decent interconnect.
Thanks for this. There's only one way to find out if it's the amp or dac - hook up both the R2R7 and R2R-11 to the NFB-1 and listen for the differences :)

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #191 of 1,288
I forgot to mention another advantage. With the nfb-1amp, you can bypass the pot on the r2r 11 (fixed mode) and get also better volume control, better left-right balance, easier to adjust levels. Ladder volume controls are more transparent as well.

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #194 of 1,288
In case anyone is wondering; the R2R-1DAC can 'shut off' the display as well, though it is never mentioned anywhere on the audio-gd site.
Jos from magnahifi helped me out and I'll share it here; just place a jumper on the 2 pins as seen below.

Now my audio-gd stack just shows 2 simple '-' until it is time to change anything :)

R2R1-DisplayOff-Jumper.jpg

Apr 14, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #195 of 1,288
In case anyone is wondering; the R2R-1DAC can 'shut off' the display as well, though it is never mentioned anywhere on the audio-gd site.
Jos from magnahifi helped me out and I'll share it here; just place a jumper on the 2 pins as seen below.

Now my audio-gd stack just shows 2 simple '-' until it is time to change anything :)

Just curious...why do you want to shut off the display?

My Audio GD DACs don't have displays (DAC-19; NOS 19), but their headphone amp, the SA-31SE, definitely does. I find the display rather inoffensive (also very informative).

Maybe the R2R 1 DAC is brighter or something I'm not getting here...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back